Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Damaged My Suitcase - Any Experience With the Process?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

I flew CMH-LGA today, and when I picked my bag up from the baggage claim, I noticed that the side handle was broken. I reported it to the Delta baggage office, and the agent noted the damage and asked its age and original price. Told her it was about five years old and estimated price to be about $250 (I honestly had no clue since my parents bought it).

Anyways, she told me that they would send me a link so that I may select a replacement bag at no cost.

Problem is, that the replacement bags on their site look like garbage. I'm Googling the brand names, and they seem like the kind of crap that's sold at Kohl's. Fine for a family trip to Disney once a year, but they don't seem suitable enough for a frequent business traveller like myself.

Here's my question - does anyone have experience with this process? I'd rather Delta just cut me a check for the bag, so that I can purchase my own luggage. I had my eyes set on a nice Away piece, and a check of even $100 or so would be preferable to some cheap luggage which will fall apart in a month.

If it matters, I'm Delta Platinum.

(for reference - my bag looks like this, side handle is the one on the left)
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Last time I had a damaged bag (top handle on a 19” soft sided roller), Delta offered $100. I accepted and got a check within a couple weeks.
This was in DTW 2-3 years ago.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 12:54 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I got paid the value i estimated when mine got damaged ( 200)
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:25 am

I've had experience with this twice. As for the replacement they offer you, it's completely up to which airport office you're dealing with.

1. One airport I had try to pull a fast one on me and just give me a replacement on site (as you have seen they are not the best) and call the claim closed. I refused and they initially requested me a check for a partial refund (something like 40 or 60%). Online I submitted pictures (Away bag that was crushed) and receipt. I was called a few days later stating that DL would replace the full value of the bag. Got check in mail. Bag was over a year old.

2. Another airport gave me a replacement bag without fuss but also helped file a claim for me, making it explicit that the claim was not closed if I accepted the replacement they gave me. I submitted pictures and receipt. I got an email a few weeks later saying that they will cover full cost of bag and got check in mail. Bag was just under or around a year old.

BTW OP, I felt like DL did me a favor when my Away was crushed. I didn't really like it after using a few times and never replaced it - got something different I much more prefer, but each to their own.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
So DL has broken lots of my luggage over the years so I have some experience

- NEVER accept that cheap bag they have in the baggage office unless they specifically state its complimentary and they are still putting a claim in

- Don’t let DL low ball you, they can give you $250 before they require receipts

- sometimes you have to push back a few times, it’s like insurance companies they want to pay out the smallest claim possible

- take a picture of luggage receipts and save them to a cloud drive if you like expensive luggage, DL will only offer $250 max unless you can prove the purchase price. (I learned this the hard way and luckily was able to dig up said receipt after lots of work and help from the company I purchased said bag from)

- DL is hands down the best to deal with about damaged luggage, and are honestly really amazing at their job
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
They knocked a wheel off one of mine a few months back. I went and bought a new suitcase. Honestly the thought to hold Delta accountable never even crossed my mind. I chalked it up to these things happen, and in the past decade it was the first time this happened. Also I kind of expected it as this was my first bag with the 4 spinner wheels and they just look like they were made for getting knocked off.

I guess next time I will stop by the baggage office.

I suppose I am conditioned by UPS and denied claims for "insufficient packaging" I just figured Delta would blame the bag.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:31 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
They generally do not cover wheels
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Correct. A few years back I had a recently purchased suitcase and upon arrival home one of the wheels was busted off. They basically told me to pound sand and that they don't cover broken wheels.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL (and PMNW) can be more generous about covering damage if the bag belongs to a high tier elite. It wouldn't surprise me if the same were true for expensive D1 tickets.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Delta has paid for my bag twice. They just mailed me a check for the estimated value of the bag. Was Diamond when these incidents occured. They paid $300 for one of my claims for the damaged bag.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 6:01 pm

Wheels

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
They replaced mine when they broke the wheel... But when they broke the wheel they ripped the whole corner of the suitcase away. So I am guessing that's why the paid out.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - How you get treated by DL will likely be determined by your status and the amount involved. At less than $250, DL is unlikely to put up a fuss. At more and without status, you will likely see the cost of the repair or the fair market value of the bag. FMV is not the replacement price.

This one is likely to be resolved quite easily. Just DL know that the replacements offered are not to your liking and that you would prefer to replace the bag yourself. Unless the $250 you quoted is way out of line with the apparent value of the bag, you will likely see a check in fairly short order.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
When the lock was busted on a suitcase similar to that of the OP, Delta gave me a UPS label to send the suitcase to some company in Texas, and they repaired it very nicely within a couple of weeks. Maybe you can ask whether they can have the damage repaired instead?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 5:17 am

Handles & Wheels

I forget which year it happened, but within the past few years, the DOT published a clarification that mandates all U.S. airlines cover external damage like handles, wheels, and zippers, if the damage wasn't caused by over-packing. A few years ago, handles and wheels wouldn't have been covered, but U.S. airlines are required to repair or replace them now.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I always considered damaged luggage to be regular wear and tear of travel. Like breaking a wagon wheel on the Oregon Trail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.