Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Immediate Diamond Comfort Upgrade with family

Old Dec 23, 19, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Appologies to start...I'm sure this question has been answered before, but after 30 mins of searching I can't find it!

I am Diamond and just purchased tickets to Florida for myself and the family (4 total in PNR). During booking, the flights I choose did say "Comfort Upgrade Available". Its been 2 hours since purchase that the reservation has still not upgraded. Has something changed on the number of pax that can be upgraded? I know you can only have 1 other on complimentary upgrade list, but I thought everyone in reservation got put in WU at time of ticketing if available? Am I wrong?
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
Afaik its you +1, and that's it
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Correct.
Duke787 and acrophobia like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
And to get you and the +1 upgrade to Comfort Plus, you typically need to get the reservation split so that the two of you are on your own PNR.
bloc0102, Duke787 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 23, 19, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Utskicat View Post
Has something changed on the number of pax that can be upgraded?
Yes, it used to be your entire PNR could be upgraded, that changed when they allowed you to upgrade one companion on the same PNR to F at your own priority.

Originally Posted by josephstern View Post
And to get you and the +1 upgrade to Comfort Plus, you typically need to get the reservation split so that the two of you are on your own PNR.
Right, DL requires everyone in the same PNR to be in the same fare bucket.
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Yes, it used to be your entire PNR could be upgraded, that changed when they allowed you to upgrade one companion on the same PNR to F at your own priority.
The +1 rule became effective when they changed Economy Comfort to Comfort+ and made it a separate fare class back in May 2016. This is before they began upgrading companion at the same level as the higher level Medallion.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160303...plus-faqs.html

"For flights within the U.S. 50 and Canada, departing on or after May 16, 2016, Medallion members and one SkyMiles traveling companion may enjoy complimentary access to Delta Comfort+ when traveling in the same reservation on Delta and Delta Connection carriers. "

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 23, 19 at 11:50 pm
Old Dec 23, 19, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
+1. You can call in to get this split. Don't forget you can cancel within 24 hours if the answers above change your plans.

If C+ is a must you should take the 2x (you + companion) and then purchase C+ for the other two (either straight up or with buy-up offer after booking).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 24, 19, 7:21 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Starriott Ambassador, National Exec Elite
My partner and I, both DM, sometimes fly with our nephew. If I book all three of us on the same record, none of us can get the Comfort+ upgrade. It will only work with one DM (or PM) with one lower status traveler. You cannot add anybody else, even if said individual is eligible on his own for the upgrade.

So, in our case, it requires two separate records.
Old Dec 24, 19, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach View Post
My partner and I, both DM, sometimes fly with our nephew. If I book all three of us on the same record, none of us can get the Comfort+ upgrade. It will only work with one DM (or PM) with one lower status traveler. You cannot add anybody else, even if said individual is eligible on his own for the upgrade.

Same here. If my family of four is traveling, we do one parent and one child on one PNR, and the other parent + child on the other.

I recently booked a Delta Vacation with all of us on one reservation, but then easily split it into two PNRs for this reason.
Old Dec 24, 19, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach View Post

The situation with multiple companions and one or more Medallions are actually documented in the T&C's. As noted, if you have any General Members, you should split (so a non-status single companion pax can get upgraded at same priority level as companion Medallion when paired on same res and if any solo Medallions are left, they can get upgraded at own level). And if everyone is a Medallion, you should either split or at least check-in separately (to avoid being dragged down by the lowest level Medallion).

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades

Traveling with two or more companions:
  • If you and two or more companions are in the same reservation, all Members must have Medallion Status or be a partner airline elite member in order for any Members to be eligible for upgrades. Each Member should check in separately and they will clear for their upgrade at their respective clearance priorities.
  • If the party is comprised of all Medallion Members and everyone checks in together, then the party will be eligible for upgrades at the lowest tiered Medallion Member's clearance priority.
  • If there are any General Members in the reservation, and everyone checks in together, no one in the reservation will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 24, 19 at 10:40 am
Old Dec 24, 19, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Same here. If my family of four is traveling, we do one parent and one child on one PNR, and the other parent + child on the other.

I recently booked a Delta Vacation with all of us on one reservation, but then easily split it into two PNRs for this reason.
This is also what I usually do, but leave all of us together for international itineraries in case of IROPS (knowing I'm giving up domestic leg upgrades).
Old Dec 29, 19, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. Its a short trip, just YYZ-ATL-DAB with a 3 yo, 6 yo and infant in arms. I will just leave us all together. C+ doesn't offer that much advantage to split up the family.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: