Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How is Delta economy transcon without status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is Delta economy transcon without status?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
During IRROPS, I suspect you will find DL a vast improvement over JetBlue.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by Duke787
Not much to add to what's already been said -- but +1 to it all and +1 as someone endorsing DL for TCON Y.

You'll see only widebodies or 757s on JFK - LAX/SFO routes plus the economy meals which aren't half bad. Plus all feature IFE. I've flown the 763 a bunch for international trips and it's a very solid plane, only caveat is that the exit row seats are hard as a rock -- the legroom is great but just choose knowing your butt is going to pay for it.

Don't forget you can snag the AMEX Plat, if you don't already have, and (at least for now -- until AMEX devalues in the future) you'll get the DL SkyClub access AND the LAX Centurion Lounge access when it opens (plus the JFK Centurion Lounge access when it opens).
Yeah I already have the Plat. In fact I have both the personal and business, mostly for the WeWork benefit, and my company pays the annual fee on the business Plat for that reason. Having the SkyClub at both LAX and JFK is one of the reasons I’m thinking of switching.

It sounds like Delta might be worth a try for 2020. I’ll just have to see how it is with laptops... JetBlue A321 transcons are a healthy 33” and very adequate for working.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by hotturnip
During IRROPS, I suspect you will find DL a vast improvement over JetBlue.
I agree with this. Especially if you make a Medallion level. DL has always taken good care of me.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by synzero
Yeah I already have the Plat. In fact I have both the personal and business, mostly for the WeWork benefit, and my company pays the annual fee on the business Plat for that reason. Having the SkyClub at both LAX and JFK is one of the reasons I’m thinking of switching.
The Amex Platinum does not offer an MQD waiver for Delta. Only the Delta Amex Platinum and Delta Amex Reserve do.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER
So yes, Delta is good on this route. Another odd comparison would be UA from EWR as they serve hot meals in Economy Plus no IIRC no free booze.
United does serve free booze in Economy Plus on SFO/LAX-EWR flights. The flight attendants don't often know the policy and I've had to "advise" them in order not to get charged.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by Duke787

I've flown the 763 a bunch for international trips and it's a very solid plane, only caveat is that the exit row seats are hard as a rock -- the legroom is great but just choose knowing your butt is going to pay for it.
True that, I bring a camping seat cushion (Thermarest) when in these seats!
Old Dec 24, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DL and even AA are as good as it can be in transcon Y.....meal, IFE, drinks if you want for purchase etc.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dutch101
True that, I bring a camping seat cushion (Thermarest) when in these seats!
Which thermarest cushion size do you recommend?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
Which thermarest cushion size do you recommend?
I use the "short" one (around 48" long).
It start from the headrest and go up to the knee when "fit" on a Y seat.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, B6
Abandon hope of using a laptop of decent size in regular economy on Delta. I doubt it is much more than 30", but it may be less at chest height.

I have a larger macbook. It is perfectly sized to have its lid catch on the tray table and have it screen snapped in half. There's basically no room to open it if the seat in front of me is reclined.

Not to mention that I had to get a different adapter for the plug, as the giant apple square plugs fall right out of the outlets, and, especially if the seat in front is reclined, it is very hard to lean over and re-insert the plug in the socket.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bunsofsteel
Abandon hope of using a laptop of decent size in regular economy on Delta. I doubt it is much more than 30", but it may be less at chest height.

I have a larger macbook. It is perfectly sized to have its lid catch on the tray table and have it screen snapped in half. There's basically no room to open it if the seat in front of me is reclined.

Not to mention that I had to get a different adapter for the plug, as the giant apple square plugs fall right out of the outlets, and, especially if the seat in front is reclined, it is very hard to lean over and re-insert the plug in the socket.
I have a Macbook Pro 15 and have never had much of a problem using it on DL Y, especially on the 763s they use on JFK/LAX (though I'm almost always in C+ or exit row)
Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bennos
The JFK TCONs operate with international planes, as mentioned upthread. The 75S and 763 have Ku wifi, not 2Ku. (The only international planes with 2Ku are the A339 and A350, neither of which operate on the TCON routes.)

I generally find the Ku wifi service on these routes to be pretty reliable, and fairly usable for stuff like google docs.
Came here to second this. No 2Ku on the 763's used for JFK-LAX. It's usually painfully sloooowwww. If you're used to 2Ku, you'll be disappointed with the speed/usability from the old Ku system. This is my only gripe with DL TCONs at the moment.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL, UA, B6
I earned it the hard way on the 737-800s on JFK-SJC or worse, mostly in basic economy (plus Amex), and I've got a 17" macbook. It just doesn't fit.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:27 pm

35 D/E/F on 75S is probably one of the nicest coach seats in DL fleet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.