Search

How late to cancel and get credit?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
How late to cancel and get credit?

Hi all:

On a trip to Mexico now that we had booked a long time ago. Original return back to USA had a long and annoying connection through MEX. Just saw a good rate on a one-way nonstop on AS and bit the bullet to trim our 11+ hour return trip home down to 4 hours.

I know that I am likely to only get a credit for future travel less change fee.

Should I wait to cancel DL ticket until after the original flight departs (DL on AM metal) to make sure there were no delays that would permit me to collect a cash refund of the return portion? Or if I wait for that and there is no delay will I end up forfeiting the whole credit and walk away with $0 value?
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:36 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Hi all:

On a trip to Mexico now that we had booked a long time ago. Original return back to USA had a long and annoying connection through MEX. Just saw a good rate on a one-way nonstop on AS and bit the bullet to trim our 11+ hour return trip home down to 4 hours.

I know that I am likely to only get a credit for future travel less change fee.

Should I wait to cancel DL ticket until after the original flight departs (DL on AM metal) to make sure there were no delays that would permit me to collect a cash refund of the return portion? Or if I wait for that and there is no delay will I end up forfeiting the whole credit and walk away with $0 value?
Completely depends on the far rules - did you buy an AM fare or a DL fare?

Most of Delta's domestic fare rules don't have a cancel before departure provision but that may not be true for international fares (except for Basic Economy of course).

Can you find the fare basis on your receipt? If so, you can use Expertflyer to find the rules.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Completely depends on the far rules - did you buy an AM fare or a DL fare?

Most of Delta's domestic fare rules don't have a cancel before departure provision but that may not be true for international fares (except for Basic Economy of course).

Can you find the fare basis on your receipt? If so, you can use Expertflyer to find the rules.
It is a DL ticket. Thanks, will try to find fare rules.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:31 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a DL ticket. Thanks, will try to find fare rules.
If you can find the rules look in the "Penalties" section for phrasing like
"TICKET HAS NO VALUE UNLESS PASSENGER CANCELS TICKETED FLIGHT RESERVATIONS PRIOR TO TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME"
Often1 and hortkie like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:34 am

I have cancelled many tickets after the fact and still got stuck with only the $200 change fee penalty. YMMV. Check the rules on your particular ticket. You can always say you called in prior to the flight.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have cancelled many tickets after the fact and still got stuck with only the $200 change fee penalty. YMMV. Check the rules on your particular ticket. You can always say you called in prior to the flight.
Even if that's a lie? (Yes, I realize that anyone *can* say anything......)
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:51 am
Original Poster

I would not lie. I just want to use the rules to my advantage (just as Delta does). In the past I’ve bad luck getting the change fee cut by 50% but they seem to be a bit stricter about favors right now.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:31 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not lie. I just want to use the rules to my advantage (just as Delta does). In the past I’ve bad luck getting the change fee cut by 50% but they seem to be a bit stricter about favors right now.
If it were me, I would probably wait to see the status of the inbound aircraft and also monitor the weather/delays in the connection city to gauge the probability of a delay. But I tend to cancel flights before departure - just to be safe.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 2:37 pm

[QUOTE=TTT;31864265]If it were me, I would probably wait to see the status of the inbound aircraft and also monitor the weather/delays in the connection city to gauge the probability of a delay. But I tend to cancel flights before departure - just to be safe.[/QUOTE

Change fees are generally waived with a 60-minute delay and refunds can be requested generally with a 90-minute delay.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:39 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Change fees are generally waived with a 60-minute delay and refunds can be requested generally with a 90-minute delay.
Yeah - that's what I suggest looking at the inbound and connecting airport. If it's delayed I try to guestimate if it will be late enough for a waiver and if so wait to cancel.

If everything is on time then I generally just cancel at checkin time.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.