Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade for two, would Delta ever split us?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade for two, would Delta ever split us?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by stor
When I travel with the family I almost always book as follows
  • Me and Daughter1 in one reservation paid with dollars
  • Wife and Daughter2 in a second reservation paid with miles
This accomplishes
  1. I get skymiles (MQD) credit for my flight, while spending skymiles for the others' flights
  2. Me and D1 are eligible for upgrade to C+ and FC
I will usually book wife and D2 directly into C+; even FC if I am feeling lucky :-)
So far the upgrade for me and D1 was worked well. Always to C+, sometimes to FC

OK, here is the question: Is it ever possible that they would split me and D1 up into non-adjacent seats? It has not happened yet, but I recently had to do a last minute booking and only center seats are available in C+, so I UNCHECKED the upgrade to C+ box.... but I am wondering if I do check it, whether the system would split us up? She is young and anxious about being in a non-adjacent seat

There used to be an "upgrade me, but NOT center seat" option... but I no longer see this

Yes it’s highly possible it’s happened to me several times
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:12 am

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by FC flyer
Husband and I, both DM on the same reservation, are frequently split upon upgrade.
As are my wife and I (though my wife is GM)

Occasionally, on a joint record, I will be upgraded, and not my wife (i.e. when only one seat is available and we are on top of the list). Depending on the flight and who of us needs to work/rest the most, we take turns sitting in the single seat. On some occasions, I will offer a swap to FC with my wife's economy seat mate (never turned down by the way!!).

I would guess that Delta thinks like most FFs: Better to be split in the FC cabin than for both to be in the back. Certainly is true for us.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
As are my wife and I (though my wife is GM)

Occasionally, on a joint record, I will be upgraded, and not my wife (i.e. when only one seat is available and we are on top of the list). Depending on the flight and who of us needs to work/rest the most, we take turns sitting in the single seat. On some occasions, I will offer a swap to FC with my wife's economy seat mate (never turned down by the way!!).

I would guess that Delta thinks like most FFs: Better to be split in the FC cabin than for both to be in the back. Certainly is true for us.
Some people really don't want to be split. For example when I am traveling with my 10-year old daughter I would not want her to sit alone (in either cabin but even more so in economy).

That being said on UA my wife and I had split cabins on a couple of flights. Typically I offer her the upgrade and we end up rotating the next flight (i.e. she takes the outbound, I take the inbound or the next one). The FAs on UA do not like people switching halfway through the flight.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL MM, DL Plat
I recently had a curious upgrade experience. My wife (GM) and I (PM) were flying on the same reservation. At the gate, I was number one on the upgrade list and she was number two with no seats available. When we scanned our BP to board, she got an upgrade to FC and I didn't. I emailed Delta to ask why she was upgraded ahead of me (although I certainly would have given her my FC seat if I had been upgraded instead). The reply I received from Delta said that when the upgrade was processed at the gate, the computer did it by last name (her last name is before mine alphabetically) because we were on the same record. I think that's BS, but I let it slide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.