MR to Havana on DL

Old Dec 19, 19, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
MR to Havana on DL

I was thinking about doing a mileage run on Delta to Havana early next year, but I have never been to Cuba. Does anyone have any experience entering into the country using the "Supporting the Cuban People" visa? Are there any supporting documents one must bring or questions he or she must be prepared to answer at the Delta counter or at immigration? I know the system has changed since new regulations went into effect in April, so I hope the collective wisdom of the FT community can give me some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 19, 19, 2:16 pm

(nevermind - someone will be able to help you)

Last edited by pdxkat; Dec 19, 19 at 2:21 pm Reason: - my experience is all for business travel, removing my post as it doesn't really apply for a MR
Old Dec 19, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I truly recommend travelling to Havana (I went December 17 and loved it), but there are strict visa requirements. I went on a cultural exchange visa, which you have to procure through a licensed provider, and you receive in writing and have to present at the airport, immigration, reentry, etc. I wouldn't recommend just "winging it." There are providers who will help you with a trip, that don't require your being part of a group tour, and can still give you the cultural visa. BTW, it is the US that will give you the problem, not Cuba. The US will restrict which hotels you can stay at, as well.
Old Dec 19, 19, 2:23 pm

Oops, made mistake. I guess flights to Cuba on DL earn miles (flights on partners do not). I originally thought neither did.
Old Dec 19, 19, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by pdxkat View Post
(nevermind - someone will be able to help you)
Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. Does that apply just to the segment including Havana, or does that apply to the entire trip if it includes a Havana segment?

I am based in the U.S.
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Here is a link with a lot of information about travel to Cuba on DL:

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...ba--faqs-.html
Old Dec 19, 19, 4:38 pm

You could always go to/from Canada and go nonstop to Cuba from there. No visa required.
Old Dec 19, 19, 5:18 pm

Ive visited Cuba with a support for the people visa. U can buy the visa at the ticket counter in the US. No supporting docs were requested.
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
You could always go to/from Canada and go nonstop to Cuba from there. No visa required.
That could potentially get you in trouble with the US government if you are a US citizen.
Old Dec 19, 19, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
You can also go via Mexico and other countries. Either way you're breaking US law although you can do either of those legally if you have dual citizenship. You still can't fly directly from the US since you're required to use your US Passport when departing from or arriving in the US.

Originally Posted by STVA View Post
That could potentially get you in trouble with the US government if you are a US citizen.
Absolutely, unless you're using dual citizenship and not flying from the US.

Originally Posted by JFK97 View Post
Ive visited Cuba with a support for the people visa. U can buy the visa at the ticket counter in the US. No supporting docs were requested.
I believe that program was effectively ended with the US changes in April 2019.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 20, 19, 5:23 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post

I believe that program was effectively ended with the US changes in April 2019.
I believe it might have been the people to people category that got axed. Support for the Cuban people should still remain unchanged.
Old Dec 20, 19, 6:51 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
I don't think DL flies nonstop from Canada to Cuba. The OP wants a DL mileage run.
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:02 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
I don't think DL flies nonstop from Canada to Cuba. The OP wants a DL mileage run.
+1
Also,
Travel to or from Cuba on flights operated by partner airlines is not eligible to earn miles.
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Is it possible to MR to HAV without entering the country itself? Ie a quick turnaround, getting off the plane and going to next gate without the need to go through immigration? Happens for I-I in places like PTY, where there is no need to go through immigration (pretty much the same as domestic terminals in the US)
Old Dec 20, 19, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not recommend committing a felony in order to complete a MR (if DL even flew between Canada & Cuba).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: