FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Who to talk to for IRROPS on KL-marketed/DL-operated flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2000456-who-talk-irrops-kl-marketed-dl-operated-flight.html)

N102DA Dec 18, 2019 11:09 pm

Who to talk to for IRROPS on KL-marketed/DL-operated flight

I’m currently looking at flights to Europe for next summer and have settled on a couple of options for KL-marketed/DL-operated J flights (got to love the 40% distance MQDs) going LAX-DTW-AMS-BUD. I’m a little apprehensive about connection times and am wondering how any IRROPS would be handled regarding the DL-operated flights (LAX-DTW and DTW-AMS). Would I have to deal with DL or KLM?

Specifically, I’m looking at about a 70 minute connection in DTW between the two DL flights. Seems like if everything runs on time there shouldn’t be any issues, but if something delays my first LAX-DTW flight and I end up missing DTW-AMS (which is the last one of the day), would DL actually be able to help me? Or would I have to somehow call/coordinate with KLM? I would assume (and HUGELY prefer) that DL could take care of it in person at DTW since it’s regarding two DL-operated flights, but the fact I’m buying the ticket through KLM makes me unsure. Status always makes things easier on DL, but since I have nothing for Flying Blue I’m hoping that at least being booked in J would help if I had to deal with KLM.

Any insights or similar experiences?

Summend Dec 18, 2019 11:44 pm

70 mins would be more than enough for DTW connection. If something happens, DL reps in DTW would be able to help you as well since it is day of departure and DL has control over the ticket.

Also, DL handles customer services calls for KLM in North America.

jrl767 Dec 19, 2019 12:03 am

presumably the LAX-DTW flight leaves ~1300; if there are issues prior to departure, KL has a nonstop LAX-AMS departing ~1600 ... others with more experience should be able to confirm, but I don’t believe day-of-departure IROPS recovery has any partner award space limitations

Summend Dec 19, 2019 5:43 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31855340)
presumably the LAX-DTW flight leaves ~1300; if there are issues prior to departure, KL has a nonstop LAX-AMS departing ~1600 ... others with more experience should be able to confirm, but I don’t believe day-of-departure IROPS recovery has any partner award space limitations

Looks like OP is booking a cash ticket rather than an award ticket so It’s unrelated to the award space availability

findark Dec 19, 2019 7:44 am

In the event of IRROPS, you deal with the operating carrier of the affected segment, by default. So Delta would have you covered here.

Duke787 Dec 19, 2019 7:57 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31856350)
In the event of IRROPS, you deal with the operating carrier of the affected segment, by default. So Delta would have you covered here.

+1. I wouldn't be too concerned on this one. It sounds like you are on DL metal all the way until AMS so they should be able to easily re-accommodate you for IRROPs and then they'll just work with KLM to get you on the next AMS - BUD flight.

When is your flight? Next summer, DL is running very late night DTW - AMS flight (1130pm departure), so there would have to be some serious IRROPs (even coming from the east coast) to misconnect on that one. Do keep in mind that for a late night TATL, DL is very likely to hold the plane for late arrivals to avoid having to re-book them.

Especially if you are coming on LAX - DTW which is likely to have multiple people connecting onwards to AMS.

One other thing to note (as mentioned above), in the case of serious IRROPs from LAX, you could be moved to any of the DL/KLM direct flights LAX - AMS including the relatively late 7pm LAX - AMS flight on DL metal.

And I agree with others, 70 min at DTW is plenty of time unless there are serious IRROPS. There are often TPAC connections offered at DTW with 35 minute connections (e.g., RDU - DTW - ICN)

N102DA Dec 19, 2019 8:02 am

Thanks for confirming, everyone. Having experienced DTW IRROPS before, the staff there is fantastic so good to hear they'll handle it in the event anything happens. Also, will be traveling with family (on award tickets since I'm the only one who cares about MQM/MQD earning) so nice to hear that IRROPS award space won't be an issue either.

MSPeconomist Dec 19, 2019 8:03 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31855340)

OP mentions MQDs and certainly doesn't say that this would be an award ticket, so award space shouldn't matter for anything involving the OP's ticket.

ADDED: However, the second post by the OP in this thread, just above this post and after your post, does mention award tickets for other family members.

N102DA Dec 19, 2019 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 31856395)
+1. I wouldn't be too concerned on this one. It sounds like you are on DL metal all the way until AMS so they should be able to easily re-accommodate you for IRROPs and then they'll just work with KLM to get you on the next AMS - BUD flight.

When is your flight? Next summer, DL is running very late night DTW - AMS flight (1130pm departure), so there would have to be some serious IRROPs (even coming from the east coast) to misconnect on that one. Do keep in mind that for a late night TATL, DL is very likely to hold the plane for late arrivals to avoid having to re-book them.

Especially if you are coming on LAX - DTW which is likely to have multiple people connecting onwards to AMS.

One other thing to note (as mentioned above), in the case of serious IRROPs from LAX, you could be moved to any of the DL/KLM direct flights LAX - AMS including the relatively late 7pm LAX - AMS flight on DL metal.

And I agree with others, 70 min at DTW is plenty of time unless there are serious IRROPS. There are often TPAC connections offered at DTW with 35 minute connections (e.g., RDU - DTW - ICN)

These are the flights I'm talking about (on August 11):

LAX-DTW
DL1242 / KL5131
11:50-19:19

DTW-AMS
DL136 / KL6034
20:36-10:25

I do see the later flight now. It didn't come up as an option when I was searching for flights through to BUD but I just looked at the DTW-AMS schedule. Honestly might not mind getting rebooked on that one since we'd get the A350 over the A330.

Often1 Dec 19, 2019 8:43 am

DL will handle the reroute in any event. If it is DL as the carrier causing the delay on the day of travel, it is DL. If it would otherwise be KL and OP is located in North America as suggested by his profile, DL handles customer service for KL. Either way, he will wind up with a DL agent and DL will handle the reroute.

bgriff Dec 19, 2019 8:58 am

DL and KL are also extremely closely tied up (DL phone agents can make changes to KL tickets, which I don't think is necessarily the case for all partners, and I believe if you call KL in the US you are connected to DL agents anyway) so I think even in more marginal cases, like if there's a weather waiver a few days in advance and you want to make changes, I believe DL could still handle it. Whereas for some other less-closely-integrated partners it might be a little bit more of a challenge.

If there is a change due to IRROPS, it's possible you could get moved to flight(s) with DL flight numbers, which would lose you the MQD and possibly RDM advantages you have on a KL flight number, but you should be able to fix that by claiming original routing credit after the fact.

N102DA Dec 19, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 31856634)
DL and KL are also extremely closely tied up (DL phone agents can make changes to KL tickets, which I don't think is necessarily the case for all partners, and I believe if you call KL in the US you are connected to DL agents anyway) so I think even in more marginal cases, like if there's a weather waiver a few days in advance and you want to make changes, I believe DL could still handle it. Whereas for some other less-closely-integrated partners it might be a little bit more of a challenge.

If there is a change due to IRROPS, it's possible you could get moved to flight(s) with DL flight numbers, which would lose you the MQD and possibly RDM advantages you have on a KL flight number, but you should be able to fix that by claiming original routing credit after the fact.

That was my only serious concern but in that case I'm hoping getting ORC wouldn't be an issue.

I had an issue about a month ago where I had to make a (voluntary) advance change to some KL-marketed and KL-purchased flights but because DL handled the change I ended up with a DL-marketed flight replacing the KL-marketed ones I changed, so I missed out on the MQD/RDM advantages. Learned that lesson and guess I'll try calling their NL phone # next time if I need to make any voluntary/advance changes.

MSPeconomist Dec 19, 2019 9:08 am

Can't you ask the DL agent to rebook the flight with a KLM flight number, assuming that the flight you're getting is sold as a codeshare? It would seem pretty normal to replace a KLM flight number with a KLM flight number, although DL agents probably do more of this in reverse due to the " Fly America" act.

bgriff Dec 19, 2019 9:08 am

Originally Posted by N102DA (Post 31856654)
That was my only serious concern but in that case I'm hoping getting ORC wouldn't be an issue.

I had an issue about a month ago where I had to make a (voluntary) advance change to some KL-marketed and KL-purchased flights but because DL handled the change I ended up with a DL-marketed flight replacing the KL-marketed ones I changed, so I missed out on the MQD/RDM advantages. Learned that lesson and guess I'll try calling their NL phone # next time if I need to make any voluntary/advance changes.

I haven't tried it but it's possible you could also ask the phone agent making the change to put you on KL flight numbers specifically. In theory, DL doesn't really care either way as it's all under the JV where everything is shared. If it's a voluntary change it's possible the prices could be better on one side or the other; if it's for IRROPS then price shouldn't matter. Though success may depend how pleasant/helpful your agent is.

Back in the early days of MQDs when you needed 006 ticket stock, I had DL phone agents book me some tickets on partner (in that case VS) flight numbers because they were cheaper on those codes but were still on 006 stock, and it was no problem at the time other than that you had to call and couldn't do it on the website (which remains true).

Dutch101 Dec 19, 2019 11:35 am

I have experienced inconsistencies with the phone agent response in this situation. I have had situations where the delta phone agent insisted on connecting me with the international KLM travel desk, which is a dead end due to crazy wait times. If that happens I just HUCAd, and more experienced Delta agents would just handle the situation themselves, including reroutings etc. YMMV. KLM NL responses when I am over there actually have worked well too.