Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not sure why I was upgraded to business on AF :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not sure why I was upgraded to business on AF :)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Thumbs up Not sure why I was upgraded to business on AF :)

Was on a long AF trip home yesterday from OUA (Burkina Faso) to SFO, booked in Prem Economy. The ticket was purchased through Delta.com and I'm Diamond.

While in CDG relaxing in the lounge and awaiting my connection to SFO, I noticed my e-boarding pass was updated to Business class and I have no idea why. NOT that I was complaining of course, lol! I don't have any GUCs so that was not it. There were still about 10 empty seats in the business cabin on the way home, so looks like nobody else was moved up. This happened to me on AF once before, where I was moved into Premium Economy from OUA to CDG. Does AF upgrade medallion members on international flights here and there? Never happened to me on KLM or Delta [posted this on an incorrect AF thread elsewhere, sorry if you've endured this question twice].
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was the Premium Economy cabin full? I'm guessing that you got an OPUP, and there have been reports of AF sometimes giving them to DL DMs rather than (or in addition to) AF/KLM high tier elites.

If PE was full but not overbooked but coach was overbooked, AF might have decided to OPUP some folks from coach to PE and some from PE to business class in order to create some free PE seats for them.

There's also a chance that your assigned seat was broken or was needed for someone with special needs or passengers needing to sit together and AF decided that the easiest way to solve the problem would be to give an otherwise empty business class seat to a DM.
ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was the Premium Economy cabin full? I'm guessing that you got an OPUP, and there have been reports of AF sometimes giving them to DL DMs rather than (or in addition to) AF/KLM high tier elites.

If PE was full but not overbooked but coach was overbooked, AF might have decided to OPUP some folks from coach to PE and some from PE to business class in order to create some free PE seats for them.

There's also a chance that your assigned seat was broken or was needed for someone with special needs or passengers needing to sit together and AF decided that the easiest way to solve the problem would be to give an otherwise empty business class seat to a DM.
That was probably it. PE was full when I looked back. Interestingly, on both my legs between CDG and OUA, I was relocated to accommodate special needs passengers, but in the same cabin.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by OroroT
That was probably it. PE was full when I looked back. Interestingly, on both my legs between CDG and OUA, I was relocated to accommodate special needs passengers, but in the same cabin.
PE oversales are relatively common compared to other sources of op-ups because the cabin is so small.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Already asked and answered in the AF forum: Upgraded to business on CDG-SFO but don't know why - ??
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:44 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by OroroT
Does AF upgrade medallion members on international flights here and there?
Not systematically but could happen. How AF processes operational upgrades still remain a mystery.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:56 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
As others have noted, the OP cross posted. Please follow the conversation here:
Upgraded to business on CDG-SFO but don't know why - ??

Ryandc99 Moderator Delta Air Lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.