Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doctor medallion upgrades ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Doctor medallion upgrades ?

Just curious, wife is an MD and although we are both G/M's and I posses the Reserve card she often gets upgraded before me. Does delta give some kind of secret upgrade hierarchy to MD's ?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Think you would see a lot more advertising for shady medical degrees on this forum if they did...
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Nw_Adventure
Just curious, wife is an MD and although we are both G/M's and I posses the Reserve card she often gets upgraded before me. Does delta give some kind of secret upgrade hierarchy to MD's ?
I’ve never indicated to Delta what I do for a living but I’m not aware of, nor would I ever expect, any special privileges. I’ve had a few colleagues that have assisted with passengers falling ill in flight over the years and they’ve received some compensation for their efforts after the fact but I can assure you there’s no secret arrangement between Delta and MDs.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are these when you are on the same PNR? Some have speculated that it's based on alphabetical order in these cases. What's the first letter of your first names? Otherwise, additional tie-breakers (aside from ones you mention) in order are Fare Class (which comes before Amex Reserve cardholders), Delta Corporate Traveler, Amex MQD Waiver qualification, and date/time of upgrade request (usually time of purchase).

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Reserve card is the first tie breaker, so same elite level and same fare class (group???) should mean that the Reserve card (our OP) wins.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Are you traveling on the same ticket or different tickets? If different tickets, one difference could be if you're on different fare codes.
Otherwise if you're on the same ticket, you share the priority of the highest member and one person simply has to be displayed above the other on the UG list. My wife and I have both been PMs the past couple years and I have the Reserve (she doesn't) but when we've been on the same ticket, she's usually "ahead" of me on the UG list. If you're on the same ticket though, and there's only 1 seat left, the GA may call you up and ask if you're willing to have one of you upgraded or may go to #3 on the list for the one remaining seat. Depends on the GA and how busy they are (not sure what DL policy states should happen).

Next year Mrs. ATOBTTR drops to FO while I will remain a PM. I wonder how we'll display on the UG list then. If I see her name above mine, I'm gonna call "Shena".
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mspdoc
I’ve never indicated to Delta what I do for a living but I’m not aware of, nor would I ever expect, any special privileges. I’ve had a few colleagues that have assisted with passengers falling ill in flight over the years and they’ve received some compensation for their efforts after the fact but I can assure you there’s no secret arrangement between Delta and MDs.
Its listed in her suffix/name as MD
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
Are these when you are on the same PNR? Some have speculated that it's based on alphabetical order in these cases. What's the first letter of your first names? Otherwise, additional tie-breakers (aside from ones you mention) in order are Fare Class (which comes before Amex Reserve cardholders), Delta Corporate Traveler, Amex MQD Waiver qualification, and date/time of upgrade request (usually time of purchase).

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...llion-upgrades
Interesting- Her first&last initial/last name does come before mine
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Plat
Isnt this a prefix not a suffix, so PhDs would also be accurate? If so, youd see a lot more PhDs, like myself, adding it to their reservations! Though, if someone is in distress the last person youd want helping is an economist

I have seen preferential treatment in hotels in asia when I listed my husband as DR (also a PhD, not MD). I think it signals social status in some places.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Germany, Austria, and at least the German speaking regions of Switzerland.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by runningformqm
Isnt this a prefix not a suffix, so PhDs would also be accurate? If so, youd see a lot more PhDs, like myself, adding it to their reservations! Though, if someone is in distress the last person youd want helping is an economist

I have seen preferential treatment in hotels in asia when I listed my husband as DR (also a PhD, not MD). I think it signals social status in some places.
Its a suffix-
MitchR likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold (LT), Nat EL Exec, Hertz PC
Its listed in her suffix/name as MD
Maybe this is a side issue, but MD is not part of a name, it's a designation (credential / certification) - nor is Dr. or PhD (or any of my "letters") and really should not be on her Delta profile, tickets, or REAL ID compliant identification. I guess great for you (her) that she was able to add it to her profile when she joined, but.... it should really not be considered part of the name at all, as it is revocable, can expire, etc.
KRSW and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

RN/CPA - Plus a host of other suffix's are available as needed. Why - I have no idea.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM
I am a physician and definitely do not get preferential because of it.

For the OP, who buys the tickets? My SO and I have the same status level, etc. When we fly together (on the same fare class), who is listed first on the upgrade list is dependent on who buys the tickets. If I buy the tickets for both of us, I am listed first on the upgrade list, and the reverse is also true. When we buy separately (because we are submitting one ticket for reimbursement for work, etc.), who ever hits the purchase button first is listed first (even if it is a 5 minute difference, provided the fare class is the same). This is also the case with upgrade certificates. Going to Sydney earlier this year, my SO applied GUC to both of our tickets. Even though they came from his wallet, I bought my tickets a few minutes earlier and was upgraded. He was not, unfortunately.

We have tested this dozens of times. We actually select our seats accordingly. For example, if I buy the tickets, I need to assign myself to the middle seat, since if only one of us is upgraded, the other still has the aisle seat.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
We have tested this dozens of times. We actually select our seats accordingly. For example, if I buy the tickets, I need to assign myself to the middle seat, since if only one of us is upgraded, the other still has the aisle seat.
Not sure I’m following this bit. What if the isle seat gets upgraded - aren’t you stuck in the middle? Wouldn’t it better to select window and aisle ?

Last edited by Tine Rod; Dec 16, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.