Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Choose a profile" when logging in on DL.com and mobile app (biz vs. personal)

Old Dec 16, 19, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL DM360 1MM

Hi,

Today for the first time got asked to "choose a profile" with two boxes, one saying "personal travel" and the other "business travel {my employer's name]".
Any idea why they are doing this? I had noted the tagging of business travel in the mytrips section for a while and never got why they do that.

Starting to fear the benefits will no longer be the same... but can't imagine any possible scheme that would make sense.

Did anyone else get this choice forced upon recent login?
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
hmm, ive not seen that. I do see them tag my work trips (ones booked through Concur) as 'business travel' but thats been the extent of it. I tried again just now, still no change.
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:44 am

I've started seeing this login last week.

Not really a relevant change for me except for the extra step. Any of my company's trips have to be booked on our travel system, which would then get the special business tag.

Yesterday, my company name started showing under the business profile section, but this morning it doesn't.
Old Dec 16, 19, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If one can go back and forth between business and personal travel, this would be a great improvement for me. Currently I find that once I look at our negotiated fares, I cannot go back to see regular published fares, even for a totally different trip, within a couple days on the same computer or device.
mayhem and ryw like this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
They've been doing this for a while now (at least for my account)...it's not difficult to switch between the two. You just have to choose personal if booking awards.
mayhem likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Interesting, so
- need to login as personal to book awards
- your negotiated fares are now available on delta.com (which wasn't the case for me)

Does DL not let you use negotiated fares for personal travel, assuming the employee is traveling? Or is this now a way to let the employee make easier use of negotiated fares for personal travel?
Still trying to figure out if there is any benefit from this outside of the (minor) hassle of having to choose a profile
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We get negotiated fares by using a link to delta.dumb. Initially we were encouraged to use them for personal travel too, but now that language seems to have been removed.

Often when I check, I find that our fares labeled as "special negotiated rate" have exactly a ZERO discount from regular published fares and no special advantages other than the upgrade tiebreaker status.

For international, I can usually do better through AmEx IAP.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Interesting, so
- your negotiated fares are now available on delta.com (which wasn't the case for me)

Does DL not let you use negotiated fares for personal travel, assuming the employee is traveling? Or is this now a way to let the employee make easier use of negotiated fares for personal travel?
Still trying to figure out if there is any benefit from this outside of the (minor) hassle of having to choose a profile
Negotiated rates for personal travel is determined by company policy presumably in conjunction with DL. If not eligible, the "business profile" option shouldn't show up on your account.

In my case I have access to a couple of different negotiated fares -- in one case I can only access them via AMEXGBT/Concur and those fares are restricted for business travel only. For the other, I am permitted to use the negotiated rate for personal travel and that one does show up as the "business profile" in my DL.com account and I can book directly through that channel rather than going via AMEXGBT/Concur or another 3rd party.
Old Dec 16, 19, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Negotiated rates for personal travel is determined by company policy presumably in conjunction with DL. If not eligible, the "business profile" option shouldn't show up on your account.

In my case I have access to a couple of different negotiated fares -- in one case I can only access them via AMEXGBT/Concur and those fares are restricted for business travel only. For the other, I am permitted to use the negotiated rate for personal travel and that one does show up as the "business profile" in my DL.com account and I can book directly through that channel rather than going via AMEXGBT/Concur or another 3rd party.
Got it. I guess it is company/person dependent. For us we have the explicit option on Concur to book personal travel through Concur (as of now). Maybe that will change. Or at least now it seems that I can access my company's fares through delta.com which has some benefits (easier to book than concur!).
Negotiated fares (and rates for hotels) have quite some subtleties. Sometimes they appear as the exact same rate but with better cancellation/refund policies, sometimes they come up as fixed fares for Y, sometimes they come up at % discounts but only for certain fareclasses (J/Y/...).
Old Dec 16, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Avis Pref ++, Nat EA Exec, Hertz PC
FWIW, the company I worked for until Feb 2019 had a "negotiated fare" agreement with DL, and required booking through Concur. The fares there rarely showed any difference from retail, buuutttt...... in talking with the internal travel dept, I learned that the negotiated fare difference for our company was in the form of a % rebate based on total sales. No idea if this was standard or just us, but we were encouraged to book personal travel through the concur portal for mainly this reason (secondary reasons likely would include the smidgen of difference in total volume that would create in the value of the overall contract).
mayhem likes this.
Old Dec 16, 19, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Interesting, so

For myself,
- I can't really tell if we have special negotiated fares, since the price never seems to differ from regular fares. The only difference I see is some corporate perks, like preferred seating selection, corporate upgrade tiebreaker. Perhaps my company gets rebate like someone else has mentioned.
- We cannot use our AXGBT/Concur for personal travel... because all our airfare gets charged to a central card/location. We don't use a CC in our name to book a flight.

So, it's just an extra step for me at this time.
Old Dec 16, 19, 5:46 pm

I was told that the extent to which our contract will get discounts for next year depends on how much we use the special version on the website and negotiated fares this year, which of course provides the organization with an incentive to encourage everyone to book personal trips this way too. OTOH we're generally free to pick the airlines/flights we want. Normally travel is paid from one's own travel budget(s) or is reimbursed externally.
Old Dec 29, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: Delta DM/MM, Hertz Platinum
New corporate profile on login?

Starting last week, when I log into my SM account online, I am asked to select my “personal” profile or my <large Fortune 500 parent company> profile.

Whichever I select, I get to the same regular home page with the same information. I never book corporate travel on the DL site; I use Concur instead. So how does the DL site know what company I work for, and what’s the point of this?
Old Dec 29, 19, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Concur is simply compliance software, so you are likely using some other software package.

If your profile through whatever corporate software you use has your SM number, that is in your DL profile and comes up as a choice. Presumably your employer has a corporate discount with DL and DL provides that to you (and reports back to your employer) when you book using your business profile.

It is a significant convenience to many people. If not to you, then it is just one more feature you won't use.
Old Dec 29, 19, 9:17 am

Concur must be sharing the info. I haven't seen the split profile questions, but with my Southwest flights booked thru Concur I started getting Southwest confirmation e-mails at my work e-mail address a few months ago, and I've never shared my work e-mail with Southwest.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: