Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and the new Beijing Daxing airport - moving?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Looking at potentially booking a flight to Beijing this fall, and noticed that nobody seems to have really updated their schedules yet to indicate whether flights are moving to the new PKX airport (Beijing Daxing), or staying at the existing PEK airport (Beijing Capital).

China Eastern is currently supposed to move from PEK to PKX for almost all of their flights, except for PEK-SHA shuttle flights. But in the GDS, all MU flights still indicate PEK...

As far as I can tell, Delta hasn't announced whether they will follow MU to the new airport or stay where they are currently located. Anyone have any insight? Most news articles seem to assume they will move, but Delta has been cagey about it so far in public statements.

(Trying to book a connecting itinerary across two separate tickets in October, just after the opening date, and would like to avoid an unexpected cross-town connection if I can help it.)
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
there was a similar question on the BA board the other day and there was a link posted to this thead - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...rt-thread.html which may have more info for you.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Last time I read, PEK is supposed to become code for new airport.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Last time I read, PEK is supposed to become code for new airport.
What? That would be incredibly confusing as both will remain open and operating at a large scale. Are you saying PEK then becomes PKX? Why would they ever do that?

Maybe I'm wrong, but are you sure you're not thinking of IST?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
What? That would be incredibly confusing as both will remain open and operating at a large scale. Are you saying PEK then becomes PKX? Why would they ever do that?

Just reread the article I saw this in. Didnt catch where they stated they assumed it would, ala IST. Newer version updated that it won't keep it.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ethernal

You’re not wrong. PEK and PKX will operate alongside each other in perpetuity, just like JFK/EWR/LGA all serve the same city. The code will not change.

The code for both airports together is BJS.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My *guess* would be that DL will move shortly after its (close) partner MU does as MU provides lounges and a lot of ground handling to support DL in China, plus DL is promoting intraAsia connections on MU (as well as KE through ICN). In fact, ICN is a similar example, where DL followed KE (and most other SkyTeam carriers) to the new T2, which seems to be miles away from T1.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My *guess* would be that DL will move shortly after its (close) partner MU does as MU provides lounges and a lot of ground handling to support DL in China, plus DL is promoting intraAsia connections on MU (as well as KE through ICN). In fact, ICN is a similar example, where DL followed KE (and most other SkyTeam carriers) to the new T2, which seems to be miles away from T1.
Delta will indeed move but I'm not sure it has been announced when they will.

MU (and CZ) are gaining quite a few slots at Daxing and will both have large hubs there.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:03 pm

Will move to PKX on March 29.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/airports...axing-overview
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
PKX after 03/29

Seems like we'll see DTW/SEA - PKX on and after 03/29!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 5:46 pm

Current Delta.com search seems to indicate March 30 flight departs PEK, and March 31 flights depart PKX.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:04 pm

August Schedule Change reflects PKX

Schedule change for August trip now reflects Beijing Daxing.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xooz
Current Delta.com search seems to indicate March 30 flight departs PEK, and March 31 flights depart PKX.
Have they issued a press release yet?
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by moondog
Have they issued a press release yet?
I didn't see a PR, but it is noted on DL's website.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:36 am

Found a Beijing-Daxing Overview page on their website, It says in part :
Our partner airlines will eventually move most of their connecting flights to the new Beijing Daxing International Airport (PKX), where Delta will begin operations on March 29, 2020. However, your itinerary may still indicate a short inter-airport connection transfer from Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) to PKX until China Eastern loads their final PKX schedule into the system. Once their schedule is loaded into the system, your itinerary will be updated to reflect a same airport transfer at PKX.

I assume that they waited till the schedule change yesterday to change the flights and will send formal notice pretty soon now that the schedule is in place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.