Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bad luck or no more D1 bedding on flat bed first class flights?

Old Dec 14, 19, 8:26 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too

Just flew HNL-SLC-JFK on an A330 and a flat bed 757 up front. First class service on both legs as expected, but in my experience as recently as the summer, flights operated on D1 equipment usually have the D1 bedding even without the full D1 service. But both of these flights just had the regular domestic F pillow and blanket. Is this a change of policy or did I just get unlucky with two bad provisionings in a row?
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO you were lucky in the past.
WillBarrett_68 and Duke787 like this.
Old Dec 14, 19, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM
I think in general they don't give D1 bedding when it's sold as FC. But it's also kind of random, it happened to me twice that D1 bedding appeared in normal FC (non flat bed kind), which is kind of annoying since the big pillow takes a lot of space....
Old Dec 14, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, WN A-List, Marriott Titanium
I've flown D1 on the A330 between SLC-HNL several times and always had the Westin Heavenly Bedding.
Old Dec 14, 19, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold View Post
I've flown D1 on the A330 between SLC-HNL several times and always had the Westin Heavenly Bedding.
itís a happy surprise, but itís usually caused by complacency of the cleaners. They see widebody and they bring the Westin heavinly bedding. Since the soft product is domestic first, itís supposed to be the standard first class bedding.
Old Dec 14, 19, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Flyer0889 View Post
it’s a happy surprise, but it’s usually caused by complacency of the cleaners. They see widebody and they bring the Westin heavinly bedding. Since the soft product is domestic first, it’s supposed to be the standard first class bedding.
Also probably due to where the incoming aircraft is coming from. Often it's an int'l flight, and not all the duvets/pillows have been used, so vs. take it out and put in the lesser ones, it's just restocked as is.
Old Dec 14, 19, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Also probably due to where the incoming aircraft is coming from. Often it's an int'l flight, and not all the duvets/pillows have been used, so vs. take it out and put in the lesser ones, it's just restocked as is.
Possibly, but its still complacency. Theyíre supposed to remove all of the incorrect bedding and restock the correct ones. As an FA I donít mind if itís the upgraded stuff so I never say anything when they do, though.
Old Dec 14, 19, 8:07 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Part complacency, but I think also part risk aversion. I suspect the an error in this direction gets a shrug while an error in the other direction would get quite a lot of *ahem* noise.
hhdl and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 15, 19, 12:14 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
Interesting. I had enough data points (5-6 of my own on first class with flat beds on 757s on SLC-JFK and SEA-JFK*, plus data points from friends and FT on those routes as well as SLC-HNL) and had never encountered the regular bedding on flat bed flights before. I made do with the F pillow but the D1 bedding would have been much better. Was thankful for the upgrade to the F pillow as of a year or two ago; the old F pillow would have been as good as not having a pillow at all.

And as for the theory of the cleaners seeing D1 stuff and replacing it likewise, the HNL-SLC flight aircraft had come in from ATL on a D1 service so they did indeed swap out D1 bedding for F bedding.

*Yes I know there is also a D1 frequency on this route but I am talking about the F frequencies which use the flat bed 757s.
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
Interesting. I had enough data points (5-6 of my own on first class with flat beds on 757s on SLC-JFK and SEA-JFK*, plus data points from friends and FT on those routes as well as SLC-HNL) and had never encountered the regular bedding on flat bed flights before. I made do with the F pillow but the D1 bedding would have been much better. Was thankful for the upgrade to the F pillow as of a year or two ago; the old F pillow would have been as good as not having a pillow at all.

And as for the theory of the cleaners seeing D1 stuff and replacing it likewise, the HNL-SLC flight aircraft had come in from ATL on a D1 service so they did indeed swap out D1 bedding for F bedding.

*Yes I know there is also a D1 frequency on this route but I am talking about the F frequencies which use the flat bed 757s.
As an FA, I *should* write up when the better bedding is onboard but shouldnít be, but honestly - I think the bedding should always be D1 for the D1 hard product even if the soft product is FC. I only write up when the correct bedding is there and people complain that itís not as nice as the D1 blankets. It canít cost that much more to launder/supply the upgraded bedding. I fly a lot of domestic D1 and domestic first with D1 seats and wish it was just consistent with the seating.
hi55us and bgriff like this.
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
Part complacency, but I think also part risk aversion. I suspect the an error in this direction gets a shrug while an error in the other direction would get quite a lot of *ahem* noise.
Could be, but honestly if youíve meet our cleaning staff they just donít care. (And honestly at the rates they are paid I canít blame them).
Old Dec 16, 19, 3:53 am

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
I've been on several positioning flights up front over the years, and I don't remember any of them having D1/Business Elite pillows or duvets.

Bad luck is missing out on upgrades.
Old Dec 16, 19, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
I've been on several positioning flights up front over the years, and I don't remember any of them having D1/Business Elite pillows or duvets.

Bad luck is missing out on upgrades.
IME it depends on the airport. ATL seems IME to be most frequent for getting regular F pillows. JFK/SEA/LAX IME are best for getting D1 pillows/blankets.
Old Dec 16, 19, 11:53 pm

Have flown LAX-HNL a few dozen times, always in an international 767 with lay flats, which is marketed as FC, and never had the Westin Bedding.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: