Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Booking skymiles intl flight a few hours before departure allowed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Due to a family emergency there is a chance that I'll need to get a last minute one-way international ticket sometime next month (Argentina to US), depending on when the emergency happens.
Checking delta.com I do see that it is fairly reliable to get EZE - ATL - XXX delta flight on skymiles daily.

Asuuming availability exists online, are there any restrictions otherwise in terms of ticketing times? The EZE - ATL flight leaves around 9pm. Would it be possible for me to use my skymiles to ticket this at say, 6pm (assuming availability exists). Basically, are there any delta fare rules that disallow ticketing an international flight with their miles a few hours before departure? I know for example alaska air has a rule about tickets from China or something like that. Wanted to know if there were such fraud restrictions. The skymiles will be from my own account and the ticket will be for myself.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:46 am

Can you try a dummy booking and test it?
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Pretty sure you can but be prepared for the dreaded SSSS on the boarding pass with a late OW int'l purchase.
MSPpete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are several countries where awards cannot be booked within 72 hours unless you go to a ticket office, but Argentina isn't one of them. -- "Award Tickets purchased for travel within or originating in China, Russia, Indonesia, Singapore, Vietnam, Brazil and any country in Africa require a 72-hour advance purchase".

You realize the cheaper DL award levels have advance purchase requirements (60 days for one-way's from Argentina)? Buying with no advance leaves you only very high award levels. It appears it will be anywhere from 88K - 125K miles with a few exceptions (EZE-MIA/DFW are 49K miles). If you get lucky, you might find partner availability for 37.5K miles. It looks like one-way walkup coach revenue fares tend to be around $1000.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 13, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
U.S. citizen, or do you need a Visa (Argentina is not a VWP ESTA country).
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rubesl
U.S. citizen, or do you need a Visa (Argentina is not a VWP ESTA country).
US citizen, visa isn't an issue. The only thing that is at issue is the ability to leave at the drop of a hat when I get some news about family member in US.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
sorry to hear about your family health issues..
best of luck.. and lets hope you never have to go
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.