Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead Storage Rant

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I’m an FO and I nearly always fly up front. If the OP arrived late to the aircraft how does he know these individuals are in the back while their luggage is up front?

In general the FAs usually seem pretty decent at policing this in my experience.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: AS 75K
This always cracks me up - Aside from just being rude, I would never let my bag out of my sight. Between people mistaking it for theirs or just seeing me walk away and rifling through it mid-flight, no thanks. I'll keep my bad nearby or check it.

Fwiw, I don't fly a lot - mainly PDX - OGG or PDX -LAS, but have never found bins to be anywhere close to full. The airlines seems to be proactive about offering to gate check ahead of time which I'm fine with for the most part. I'm just cheap and don't want to pay $25. A couple weeks ago leaving Maui an Alaska agent caught me right after checked bag agriculture (which is basically 10 feet from curbside drop-off) and offered to check my carry on. I'd never been offered that so far "upstream" in the process before.

I do notice Southwest's overhead bins are somewhat emptier due to the free checked bag thing.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: PC Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive, AAdvantage Gold, Midwest Miles
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
Here is my mini rant about overhead space:
Why do flight attendants put their bags in the overhead space of the bulkhead seats? This happened on my recent trips from MSP-AMS and back. Was assigned 10H and J. Boarded as soon as able for comfort plus and low and behold bin above 10H and J was filled as was part of the bin of the middle seats in row 10.
Didn't hurt us as we put our stuff over row 11, but this just created a cascade of issues as people were fighting for overhead space.
Why don't the flight attendants put their stuff in the back row overhead compartments instead of taking up space of a comfort plus row? Especially as it is a bulkhead row and everything has to be stowed during takeoff?
They would come during the flight and get stuff out of their bags and slam it shut to waking people up. It was a little annoying.
This is a much better question.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
This always cracks me up - Aside from just being rude, I would never let my bag out of my sight. Between people mistaking it for theirs or just seeing me walk away and rifling through it mid-flight, no thanks. I'll keep my bad nearby or check it.

Fwiw, I don't fly a lot - mainly PDX - OGG or PDX -LAS, but have never found bins to be anywhere close to full. The airlines seems to be proactive about offering to gate check ahead of time which I'm fine with for the most part. I'm just cheap and don't want to pay $25. A couple weeks ago leaving Maui an Alaska agent caught me right after checked bag agriculture (which is basically 10 feet from curbside drop-off) and offered to check my carry on. I'd never been offered that so far "upstream" in the process before.

I do notice Southwest's overhead bins are somewhat emptier due to the free checked bag thing.
both of your frequent destinations are leisure-heavy where people may have larger bags already checked, or there aren't a lot of business travelers who NEED their carryon. I don't think your flying pattern is representative of a more business heavy route where these problems are more pervasive
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
Further, more often than not, the biggest issue with FC bin space isn’t economy pax using it - it’s FC passengers putting everything up there and ignoring the one above one below rule. (Bulkheads get a pass on that &#128517
^^ This. Can't tell you how many FC pax I've seen put BOTH their roller and laptop bag/backpack in the bin.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: SM/Marriott/Hilton - Diamond
I wish they would police it a little better. I had to gate check my bag a couple of weeks ago because I boarded with the last group due to my inbound being late from a mechanical. Was C+ and asked the FA if they reserved the bin space that says "reserved for C+" and she said no, I shouldn't have gotten to the plane late. Sorry, your airline got me there late... but I'm glad the guy in row 37 has his bag, backpack and coat up there while my suitcase is going to go on Mr. Toad's wild ride down the baggage carousal. I shouldn't be bitter because it is a really small, petty thing, but I am. Got to watch people from the back back pick up their stuff from C+ bins on the way out.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by z06mir
I wish they would police it a little better. I had to gate check my bag a couple of weeks ago because I boarded with the last group due to my inbound being late from a mechanical. Was C+ and asked the FA if they reserved the bin space that says "reserved for C+" and she said no, I shouldn't have gotten to the plane late. Sorry, your airline got me there late... but I'm glad the guy in row 37 has his bag, backpack and coat up there while my suitcase is going to go on Mr. Toad's wild ride down the baggage carousal. I shouldn't be bitter because it is a really small, petty thing, but I am. Got to watch people from the back back pick up their stuff from C+ bins on the way out.
You stayed in your C+ seat to watch?

(I think your frustration is legit though)
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
The DYWKIA because you're in F here is breathtaking. Three things can be true:

1) Y passengers should not store their things in the F bins.
2) It's DL's job to police this and not you, a fellow passenger. Pulling someone's bag out and moving it around so they don't know where it is? Don't do that.
3) OP can do a better job of showing up to his flights on time so there's more likely to be space available without a fuss. (I will note that I have seen plenty of times where F passengers who aren't seated in the bulkhead put two, sometimes even three personal items overhead.) If the OP *does* show up late and there isn't any space, that's the point where we need to start going through bags to see whose doesn't belong.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
F pax in rows 2 through whatever who put multiple bags up there are a far worse problem. This is especially problematic on RJs with the useless mini bins above the A seats. If you want more foot space under the seat in front of you, then check your luggage and you can put your personal item above.
cmd320, ryw, Flyer0889 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by z06mir
FWIW - During early stages of boarding the aisle FA Is able to monitor c+ bins. I know I do and a good majority of my peers do too, however, as the plane fills we get pushed further and further back. At the latest stages of boarding we send a message to the Gate Agent on our SkyPro to start checking bags. If they don’t comply or miss the message we will encourage passengers to use the first available space as the bins are overly full towards the back. We do that because getting bags to the jet bridge once on board is time consuming and we want the ontime door closure (or door closed within 30 minutes from delayed boarding start). But there is a solid 10-15 minutes that it’s not possible to watch C+. The one major exception is the 757 since the door FA stands in the middle of C+. That’s a challenge of it’s own with 6 bulkhead seats and limited overhead space due to the lav and door area.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I once got on, seated in 2B, and the bins over 2 were full on both sides. I put my bag in the smaller bin over 1AB, which is a one-suitcase wide bin.

When the guy went to sit down at 1B and it was full, he went completely bananas. He sat in his seat cussing up a storm and complaining to his wife. It went on so much that I was not angry but felt horrible. I started to stand at one point to move my bag, and the FA put his hand on my shoulder as I was standing and looked at me and mouthed, "don't you dare."

He then approached the man and offered to find him a place for his bag. The man refused, cussed out the FA, and then put his bag behind me.

The Advent miracle is that when I deplaned he was waiting for me at the desk. He walked up, put his hand out and said, "I'm really sorry, it's been a long travel day, and I was out of line."

Grace is everywhere.
ekozie and Zorak like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by paterwdb
I once got on, seated in 2B, and the bins over 2 were full on both sides. I put my bag in the smaller bin over 1AB, which is a one-suitcase wide bin.

When the guy went to sit down at 1B and it was full, he went completely bananas. He sat in his seat cussing up a storm and complaining to his wife. It went on so much that I was not angry but felt horrible. I started to stand at one point to move my bag, and the FA put his hand on my shoulder as I was standing and looked at me and mouthed, "don't you dare."

He then approached the man and offered to find him a place for his bag. The man refused, cussed out the FA, and then put his bag behind me.

The Advent miracle is that when I deplaned he was waiting for me at the desk. He walked up, put his hand out and said, "I'm really sorry, it's been a long travel day, and I was out of line."

Grace is everywhere.
It absolutely does not excuse his initial behavior, however I believe the bins above the bulkheads should be dedicated to the passengers seated in the bulkhead.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TuxTom
F pax in rows 2 through whatever who put multiple bags up there are a far worse problem. This is especially problematic on RJs with the useless mini bins above the A seats. If you want more foot space under the seat in front of you, then check your luggage and you can put your personal item above.
I agree that this is the biggest issue with bin space up front - So many feel entitled to put both of their bags up there. Even if I check a bag I still put my computer bag under the seat in front of me to leave room for others. For some reason, there are people on this planet that are wired to think they are the only ones who exist and matter.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:29 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cmd320
It absolutely does not excuse his initial behavior, however I believe the bins above the bulkheads should be dedicated to the passengers seated in the bulkhead.
I have seen some FAs keep the forward bin closed which causes most people to assume they're full and pass them by. Then when a bulkhead pax shows up they'll open it up for them or let them know it's available.
miraclebear2003 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I may be misremembering this, but I think AS 739s have a “Reserved for bulkhead row passengers only” decal on the small bins above Row 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.