Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New blankets coming in 2020 (and they're made from plastic bottles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Delta CMO Tim Mapes announced at investor day today that Delta will be rolling out a new in-flight blanket in 2020, and they'll be made from 23 plastic bottles. He says they feel great. Be on the lookout for these new plastic blankets. :-)
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Delta CMO Tim Mapes announced at investor day today that Delta will be rolling out a new in-flight blanket in 2020, and they'll be made from 23 plastic bottles. He says they feel great. Be on the lookout for these new plastic blankets. :-)
For which flights and what cabins? I hope D1 keeps the heavenly duvets.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
My ATL-LHR flight a few weeks ago was testing out a new blanket in the main cabin. It was a nice improvement over the over the older blanket.

If I remember correctly, it was navy blue with a light blue hem. It felt much softer and slightly thicker than the previous blanket. It came bundled in a paper band as opposed to a plastic bag.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OK, that sounds nice and cuddly. I still miss the gray domestic FC blankets that appeared for only a short time.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Plastics have been recycled into clothing for a while now. Sounds like a good play on DL's part.
Here's an article in Wired last year talking about clothing brands that use plastics.
https://www.wired.com/story/plastics...verlane-renew/
rogo likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aww3583
My ATL-LHR flight a few weeks ago was testing out a new blanket in the main cabin. It was a nice improvement over the over the older blanket.

If I remember correctly, it was navy blue with a light blue hem. It felt much softer and slightly thicker than the previous blanket. It came bundled in a paper band as opposed to a plastic bag.
This sounds like exactly it. They were mentioning how they were ditching the plastic wrappers. My guess is it will replace the domestic F and international Y blankets. I'm sure there's a plan to update D1 bedding, but that's not this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For which flights and what cabins? I hope D1 keeps the heavenly duvets.
Me too, love the heavenly duvets. Usually the perfect weight for the cabin temps.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
OK, that sounds nice and cuddly. I still miss the gray domestic FC blankets that appeared for only a short time.
I think they only appeared for a short time because they all grew legs.
AeRoSpaceman and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:46 pm

These blankets would be good for passengers who are allergic to wool and/or feathers, plus they're vegan for those who care.

Still, I wonder how/whether they're washed between use by different people. Can plastic be laundered in hot water like many normal fabrics? Or are they disposable and meant for a single use, indicated by removal of the paper band around this blanket?
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by GopherMSP
FWIW - you can buy these brand new for $5 at the monthly Delta surplus sale in Atlanta - I picked up 3 the last time I was there; brand new. So Delta clearly still had a lot.

If you can't make it to Atlanta, you can buy them online at the Westin Store. They're $35 there but exactly the same.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:39 pm

Still, I wonder how/whether they're washed between use by different people. Can plastic be laundered in hot water like many normal fabrics? Or are they disposable and meant for a single use, indicated by removal of the paper band around this blanket?
That's one of those questions you ought not ask... you wanna hope but don't want to be disappointed.
Think of it as a challenge for your immune system
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Will they still have the original bottle labels on them. If so they could be collectible
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
These blankets would be good for passengers who are allergic to wool and/or feathers, plus they're vegan for those who care.

“Plastic” implies polyester which can safely be washed up to very high temps. Plus, the hot water isn’t the source of many issues, it’s the heat from the drying equipment.

They’re folded by machines so they’re undoubtedly removed from the plane and put through a laundering process between each use.

Additionally, you don’t need hot water to get linen clean.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:43 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
A strange choice when other companies stop using plastic. When you wash plastic fabrics, microplastics are released, which ultimately will find its way to the ocean. I’m not an expert and I’d love to be corrected on this one but I have my doubts on this choice.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by GopherMSP
A co worker of mine is guilty as charged.
My SO wanted to take one every tine we flew and they were around. She never did as an FYI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.