IRROPS allowed me to change final destination.

Old Dec 10, 19, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
IRROPS allowed me to change final destination.

So travelling today BNA-TUS when the plane in BNA has issues with the deicing process and ends up leaving an hour or so late. I proceed to miss my flight in ATL only to find out that the next available flight to TUS is at 7:59 PM and we have arrived in ATL around 10:30 AM.

As I don't want to wait around ATL for 10 or so hours I look for outgoing flights to PHX and ELP as those seem to be the most logical alternative destinations to fly into to get to where I need to go. I decide that PHX is the best option and start doing my homework on flights.

At this point, I am anticipating getting to the help desk and being asked to pay a change fee and a fare difference in order to accommodate my change. To my surprise, the DL representative gets me on a flight free to PHX with no questions asked and I am on my way.

I am not usually in a situation where I need to make a Same Day Change to a different final destination and I can't seem find any definite answer on why I was allowed to make this change for free. What are the parameters of what is allowed and what isn't allowed free of charge? I am a PM so is it something to do with my status? Is this decision one that is arbitrarily made by the individual working the SkyPriority desk? Are you allowed to make same day changes to other destinations inside a certain radius of your original city? If so, is this only allowed if there is a delay or can you do it anytime?

Appreciate any insight into this as it may help me with my flexibility if I run into future issues and delays down the road.
Old Dec 10, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
They allowed you to change your destination due to missing your flight. I would certainly not count on this happening again without that.
Old Dec 10, 19, 2:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This wouldn't be considered a SDC, for which as a GM you would pay IIRC and wouldn't be allowed to change airports. Unless you're ticketed in FC or C+, you would also need the same fare class (such as V, T, H, M, etc.) being available on the new flight(s).

What happened is that you were rebooked in IROPs, so that nearby airports are allowed if you're willing, sometimes up to 300 miles (although ground transportation is normally at your own expense). For the delay you were facing, DL airport or phone agents have lots of freedom to rebook you onto just about any fairly reasonable flight that has a seat available in your same cabin class (presumably coach since you didn't say otherwise).

It usually helps if you do the research and figure out what you want before asking a DL agent.....and be polite of course.

NOTE: OP didn't "miss" a flight in the way that the word is usually used to imply that it was probably the customer's fault for being late. In this case, OP misconnected due to the delay of the first flight (which seems to have been the fault of the airport and not DL, but I don't know for sure how de-icing is organized at BNA).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 10, 19 at 2:06 pm Reason: Added response to post above mine.
Old Dec 10, 19, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
This is not Same Day Change. This is IROPS rebooking. The latter has "anything reasonable goes" flexibility, which is what OP experienced here.
Old Dec 10, 19, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This wouldn't be considered a SDC, for which as a GM you would pay IIRC and wouldn't be allowed to change airports.
Minor point, but Gold gets free SDC/SDS, Silver has to pay. And companions of GMs+ have to pay even on the same reservation.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 10, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Minor point, but Gold gets free SDC/SDS, Silver has to pay. And companions of GMs+ have to pay even on the same reservation.
Thank you. Another data point showing that I tend to notice and remember more about the rules that I expect to affect me.
Old Dec 10, 19, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Not SDC, rather IRROPS rebooking as others have pointed out. DL gives option to rebook to another city up to 250 miles (may be 300 as MSP points outs). You could do thus online at dekta.com or in the DL app. Simply select the search button in the Find Alternative Flights function. It'll let you pick cities (including changing to fly from another airport), and will let you book flights for following day. It rebooks cabin to cabin, but if in F itll give you options in Y if no F exists.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:03 pm

IRROPS is usually a pain in the neck but occasionally very nice. Once there was a threatened IRROPS where the plane was going to bypass a hub and land in a city 100 miles away that was my real destination Unfortunately, they changed at the last moment and flew to the hub as scheduled.
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
It is kind of common in this situation. I had IRROPS last summer and there was no way to get me back to SMF, so I asked to go to OAK instead. Better for me than having to stay an extra night in LGA or ATL, and easier for delta than having to find me a ride the next day and have a grumpy passenger. Got a ride home (at my own expense, so I called my mommy).
Old Dec 10, 19, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't count on it and certainly don't plan on it.

But, when you do some proactive thinking about what you will do in IRROPS, US carriers tend to be very flexible. You will see threads on FT where people in your situation ask to be rerouted via NRT or LHR and then whine because DL or some other carrier is "unreasonable." But, PHX vs. TUS is a blip.
Old Dec 10, 19, 8:12 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
My experience has been they will let you use PHX if IRROPS is involved you missing the connection to TUS. I’ve done it three times. Not a hint of push back.
Old Dec 10, 19, 8:37 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
The Northern Gulf Coast is prone to bad coastal fog in early winter, and if you're aiming for the western Florida panhandle, anything from New Orleans to Dothan, Alabama is in play when you're trying to find an airport that's open and has unrestricted visibility during weather IRROPS.

Back with PMNW, they even once paid a $120-$150 cab bill to send my husband from VPS to Pensacola to catch a fog-free flight there because his original flight delay was in the system as MX and not weather.
Old Dec 11, 19, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by BuffaloBills10 View Post
I am not usually in a situation where I need to make a Same Day Change to a different final destination and I can't seem find any definite answer on why I was allowed to make this change for free.
Anything goes in IROPs. You're not making a SDC here, those rules do not apply.
Old Dec 11, 19, 10:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Don't count on it and certainly don't plan on it.

But, when you do some proactive thinking about what you will do in IRROPS, US carriers tend to be very flexible. You will see threads on FT where people in your situation ask to be rerouted via NRT or LHR and then whine because DL or some other carrier is "unreasonable." But, PHX vs. TUS is a blip.
Huh? You can absolutely both count and plan on it. There's a 300-mile radius allowed for IRROPS rebooking. You don't even need an agent—you can rebook yourself automatically in the app between PHX and TUS.
Old Dec 11, 19, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
If you have a delay or cancellation, the App/DL.com re-booking engines will give you a number of airports within a radius (looks like 300 miles from post above). Easy to do once your flight has the underlying delay/cancel in it -- no need to "beg" an agent to make it happen provided your itinerary is in synch and has the right back end coding for IRROPs.

You can also change your departure airport in those scenarios (e.g., you are on LGA - RDU but you switch to JFK - GSO instead).

It usually gives you a laundry list of connection possibilities -- and, if you have time, there's usually an opportunity to turn it into an MR. I've never had time but have been offered routes like:

DTW - LAX - RDU when my DTW - RDU flight has been delayed (and there's an LAX - RDU redeye operating)

Always hold out hope they'll offer me something like DTW - CDG - RDU (which at times might get me home faster in really bad IRROPs) but it seems like the booking engine limits to domestic connections only (which is fair).

Last edited by Duke787; Dec 11, 19 at 10:19 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: