Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/products-and-services/other-programs-services/basic-economy.html
  • Medallion Members, others with elite status, and Delta SkyMiles American Express credit card holders continue to enjoy their boarding benefits
  • Medallion Members will continue to enjoy waived checked baggage fees, Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding and Medallion mileage bonuses. However, please note Medallion Members will not receive paid or Complimentary Upgrades when flying on a Basic Economy fare.

For those with Skymiles Select (new sales currently discontinued due to COVID):

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/skymiles-select

Q. Does Main Cabin 1 Boarding purchased through SkyMiles Select apply to tickets purchased in Basic Economy?

A. Yes, you will receive Main Cabin 1 Boarding on tickets purchased in Basic Economy.
Print Wikipost

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you get assigned a seat at check-in, you'll have access to the seatmap. If you don't, you won't have access to the seatmap and you'll be added to a confirmed standby list and likely will not be assigned a seat until they clear the list at the gate. It doesn't matter how many seats appear "open" on the seatmap when trying to book it. Simply looking at the number of open seats doesn't tell you everything as you really also need to know the number of fellow Basic Economy passengers to guess at your chances and that's an unknown. I suspect you can increase your chances of getting a seat by checking in right at the 24-hour mark and try to beat the other Basic Economy passengers, but I don't have any real personal experience.
NUgirl80 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Aug 9, 2018 at 11:33 am
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by NUgirl80

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Is there never a seat map then to choose from? You have to just check in and then get a random seat assignment? Thanks again!!!
You check in and might get a random seat assignment automatically, then you can change it if there's anything open.
If you don't get an assignment, you can view the map, but if you try to select, you get an error saying a seat can't be assigned because one or more passengers on the reservation are on the standby list.
NUgirl80 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by njf1003
You check in and might get a random seat assignment automatically, then you can change it if there's anything open.
If you don't get an assignment, you can view the map, but if you try to select, you get an error saying a seat can't be assigned because one or more passengers on the reservation are on the standby list.
thanks! That’s exactly the info I was looking for. I really appreciate it! I will first try in “my trips” to see if the price goes to $0 right at 24 hours. If not, I’ll check in right away and hope for the best.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:41 pm

Just to give an update on what happened and let people who purchase basic economy know what to expect.

When you go within 24 hours of check in to “MY TRIPS”, the option to purchase your seats for a fee disappears, and you are not charged for seats. I was able to get all our seats together.

If you check in first, then you are allowing delta to assign them for you or risk not getting any seats and having to wait until getting to the gate to get seats.

So its it’s best to go to “my trips” and select your seats before checking in right at 24 hours (if regular seats are available).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

For BE I always check in at exactly T-24 and i always get decent seats, usually preferred seats together.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Further to basic economy ticket purchases, if your flight schedule changes, and you miss a connection or it is greater than an hour, 1) will they allow you to change flights at no extra charge? and 2) if you change your flights, will it still be in E class? Additionally 3) if flight is overbooked and you volunteer, do they still put you on E on your replacement flight?

My first basic economy is coming up on Tuesday, LAX to DFW
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by manually
Further to basic economy ticket purchases, if your flight schedule changes, and you miss a connection or it is greater than an hour, 1) will they allow you to change flights at no extra charge? and 2) if you change your flights, will it still be in E class? Additionally 3) if flight is overbooked and you volunteer, do they still put you on E on your replacement flight?

My first basic economy is coming up on Tuesday, LAX to DFW
When I missed a connection, I was rebooked into a different airport on a delayed flight that was already past its departure and my ticket said Main Cabin Y.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:25 am

Any recent experiences with BE and seat assignments, party of two? I'm flying MCO-JFK-ZRH, and I do not have the option to pay for the seat assignment.
I pretty much only care about the JFK-ZRH segment (for obvious reasons). Is it still a given that IF a random seat is assigned at check in, that seat can be changed to any other open non-preferred seat? I'm planning to check in at T-24 before the JFK-ZRH segment (based on a different thread), which should apparently give me the best odds of getting a seat assigned immediately.
I understood and understand the restrictions of BE, but I still want to get the best out of it. It was a high upsell cost when I booked, and my travel companion has the Gold Delta Amex so we get free bags anyways.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: DL PM
Delta Diamond on basic economy int'l

Seeing some attractive fares and wondering what I would lose as a Diamond if I book an international ticket in basic economy. My understanding is the main drawback is no complimentary upgrades, but since this is international woudln't matter anyway. Having said that, how would seat selection work - at booking or at check-in? Insta-"upgrade" to comfort plus, or only at check-in if seats remaining? Same MQMs? Same lounge access - i.e. Virgin Clubhouse/Arrivals at LHR? Eligible for global upgrades certs?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same rules as for domestic BE. No access to seats until after check-in (and possibly no access until the gate -- even if there are open seats available) and no upgrades. You might get assigned a C+ seat, but you are not entitled to it due to your Medallion status. Yes, you still get full MQM's and lounge access.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...c-economy.html

"When flying in Basic Economy, you will not be eligible for: paid or complimentary upgrades; paid, complimentary or discounted Delta Comfort+®; paid or complimentary Preferred Seats; or same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of status"
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:31 am

You can still board early and your carryon and checked baggage privileges and lounge access are all the same but the 2 big drawbacks are the seat assignment can be anything DL wants to give you and no changes whatsoever to the ticket including standby.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:31 am

delete
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You can still board early and your carryon and checked baggage privileges and lounge access are all the same but the 2 big drawbacks are the seat assignment can be anything DL wants to give you and no changes whatsoever to the ticket including standby.
FWIW, standby and SDFC are not allowed on international flights anyway, so no loss there.

As mentioned, the main loss would be seat assignments / no Comfort+ upgrade (but you may get an airport agent to put/move you there if there's anything left). And the ability to pay a fee to change your itinerary, but that may not impact many people.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:21 am

Big drawback is the seat assignment. I have never tried be but know those that have and experiences are really all over the place on seating. You need to be prepared for a middle seat towards the back. If you can live with that and/or being separated from your flying companions have at it. But keep in mind that once you buy the ticket you are kind of stuck. I know people that have thought it was a great idea until it got close to flight time and the reality of the seat lottery kicked in

you mentioned international. London and Tokyo are pretty different in terms of flight time. Also, as a DM how aware are you of how terrible some seats are these days.

If none of the seat concerns bother you and you are 100 percent sure on the trip then the savings might be worth it
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tennessetom
Big drawback is the seat assignment. I have never tried be but know those that have and experiences are really all over the place on seating. You need to be prepared for a middle seat towards the back.
Curious, is there some pecking order for assignment of BE seats?

Like would a GA, if two open seats, middle and aisle, give the aisle to the DM?

Sorry if this has been covered in some other thread, but related to OP's question would a DM on a BE fare have a better chance than non status on the same fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.