Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/products-and-services/other-programs-services/basic-economy.html
  • Medallion Members, others with elite status, and Delta SkyMiles American Express credit card holders continue to enjoy their boarding benefits
  • Medallion Members will continue to enjoy waived checked baggage fees, Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding and Medallion mileage bonuses. However, please note Medallion Members will not receive paid or Complimentary Upgrades when flying on a Basic Economy fare.

For those with Skymiles Select (new sales currently discontinued due to COVID):

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/skymiles-select

Q. Does Main Cabin 1 Boarding purchased through SkyMiles Select apply to tickets purchased in Basic Economy?

A. Yes, you will receive Main Cabin 1 Boarding on tickets purchased in Basic Economy.
Print Wikipost

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:34 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For a job interview, be aware that if you upgrade the ticket or otherwise change it, your prospective employer's corporate travel agent will be notified. This might not be the impression you want to make. It would also be better to avoid checking a bag for a job interview trip.
I actually explicitly wrote in an email that I plan on checking bags and would be willing to pay any fare difference to Main Cabin if BE were the only thing covered in their travel policy. (I actually thought that I would need to pay for baggage regardless of status, just because it was going to be on BE.) The HR manager replied to me via email, "...any baggage cost you incur is on us... we are just happy that you are coming over..." He even stated that I had the freedom to "upgrade" my car rental if it snowed that day.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I don't think checking a bag is unreasonable. The real question is do you want to work for an employer who buys Basic Economy for business travel to begin with, and that's not said entirely tongue-in-cheek. If this is a job that would involve travel beyond just travel for the interview, I'd be seriously reviewing the travel policies the company would expect me to travel under since travel policies are often implemented by those who don't actually have to travel under said policies.
Yes, that is exactly the red flag to me. I have 5 interviews and this prospective employer is the only one so far who has booked me on a BE ticket, with the cheapest car rental, and a never-heard-of-hotel that is probably a motel at the edge of the city.

I actually worked for 7 years prior to returning to "graduate training" and so this will not be my first job. In my last job which I had for four years, one prospective employer booked me on Domestic First and put me at a fancy hotel, just because it was high travel season and they wanted to meet me right that week! And they were supposed to be stingy!

The only reason I'm still keeping the option for the prospective employer above is because they are the only one from my home state. Plus, they were the first one to reply to my application and got me processed through very quickly. I did not hear from anyone else for several months and I really thought they were the only ones interested in my application. I had already said yes to them, and they already had everything booked for me by the time prospective employer #2 onwards asked for a Zoom interview.

Originally Posted by Detroiter
When I was interviewing coming out of grad school, I had an interline connection from a commuter airline to UA at ORD. The inbound flight was delayed, I ran like hell from the old commuter terminal at ORD to UA and made the flight, but my checked bag didn't (I didn't have a carryon in those days). As a result I went to bed not knowing whether I would have a suit for the interview. The next morning I went to the front desk at the hotel and found out it had been delivered during the night, much to my relief. One of my first purchases once I started work was a carryon so I would never be in that situation again.
I plan on placing my suit and one change of clothes all in my carry-on. All others will be in the checked bag. I'm coming in from the Midwest to a snowy valley in the West.

Last edited by hikouki; Dec 7, 2021 at 8:45 pm
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
......and then ask for reimbursement using the BE receipt for the ticket not flown?

why would you of all people suggest submitting a receipt for a ticket that wasn’t actually used in its original form?

yes, submit that receipt, along with the receipt for the Main Cabin rebooking — that one should show original form of payment and amount matching those on the BE receipt, with the add-collect and different form of payment for the upfare
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767

why would you of all people suggest submitting a receipt for a ticket that wasn’t actually used in its original form?

yes, submit that receipt, along with the receipt for the Main Cabin rebooking — that one should show original form of payment and amount matching those on the BE receipt, with the add-collect and different form of payment for the upfare
NO, I was suggesting that OP should be careful NOT to do this. Note the question mark in my post. Unfortunately, attempting to explain it can cause delays, questions, and other problems compared to simply flying the ticket that was provided by the (prospective) employer.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hikouki
I am going for a job interview in January, and my prospective employer booked my ticket. I usually always booked Main Cabin when flying domestic when I used to travel pre-Covid, and I'm finding out now that Basic Economy does not allow for advance seat selection.
FWIW on at least some (but I think not all) of the small handful of BE tickets I've bought, I've received an email several days out offering seat selection for something like $29. DL reps have told me this is only a seat selection charge, and does not convert the ticket into a main cabin ticket.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ssignment.html
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
......and then ask for reimbursement using the BE receipt for the ticket not flown?
NO, I was suggesting that OP should be careful NOT to do this. Note the question mark in my post. Unfortunately, attempting to explain it can cause delays, questions, and other problems compared to simply flying the ticket that was provided by the (prospective) employer.
You often bring this up, but has this ever been an actual issue in recorded history? Has any company ever cared that after being re-ticketed for whatever reason, be it a buy-up to a higher cabin, an upgrade certificate or mileage upgrade being applied, IROPS rebooking, or whatever, you flew on ticket 0061234567890 instead of ticket 0060987654321? Has any company ever cared as long as your claimed expense matches what they were expecting it to be when initially booked as long as you aren't asking them to cover charges that they shouldn't have to cover (like upgrade buy-ups)? Has the IRS ever checked or cared as long as they see a claimed business expense for $X and a matching receipt for $X? Note that I'm not asking about or encouraging unethical behavior. I'm not saying for cases where you book Airline A through your booking portal for $500 and then cancel it and rebook Airline B for $400 and pocket the difference yourself. I'm talking about things that are not unethical, like buying up to FC or whatever. Has a company or the IRS ever looked this up or cared to see if the ticket you submitted for reimbursement for is the same as the ticket # you booked originally and/or flew, especially if the PNRs themselves match between the system you booked in and the receipt you’re submitting?

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Dec 8, 2021 at 1:19 pm
Old Dec 8, 2021, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
You often bring this up, but has this ever been an actual issue in recorded history? Has any company ever cared that after being re-ticketed for whatever reason, be it a buy-up to a higher cabin, an upgrade certificate or mileage upgrade being applied, IROPS rebooking, or whatever, you flew on ticket 0061234567890 instead of ticket 0060987654321? Has any company ever cared as long as your claimed expense matches what they were expecting it to be when initially booked as long as you aren't asking them to cover charges that they shouldn't have to cover (like upgrade buy-ups)? Has the IRS ever checked or cared as long as they see a claimed business expense for $X and a matching receipt for $X? Note that I'm not asking about or encouraging unethical behavior. I'm not saying for cases where you book Airline A through your booking portal for $500 and then cancel it and rebook Airline B for $400 and pocket the difference yourself. I'm talking about things that are not unethical, like buying up to FC or whatever. Has a company or the IRS ever looked this up or cared to see if the ticket you submitted for reimbursement for is the same as the ticket # you booked originally and/or flew, especially if the PNRs themselves match between the system you booked in and the receipt you’re submitting?
The major risk is obviously booking the flight yourself and then canceling within 24 hours for full refund and flying for free on an award ticket and submitting the paid ticket for reimbursement. This is not an issue when the company itself books the ticket.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Little time to search for a ticket

Daughter needs help in a few weeks so trying to get a reasonable fare without much time to look. If I do basic economy and have the Delta credit card I can still check a bag for free and get the zone boarding--correct? Just no advanced seat assignment. Is Delta doing anything right now regarding Covid and a break on changing a ticket? Basic questions I know but I appreciate the knowledgeable forum members who so graciously help an infrequent traveler.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Yes for checked bag and Main 1 with the AmEx. However, no earning miles (RDM/MQM/MQM/MQD) and a fee to cancel in Basic Economy.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Audie
Daughter needs help in a few weeks so trying to get a reasonable fare without much time to look. If I do basic economy and have the Delta credit card I can still check a bag for free and get the zone boarding--correct? Just no advanced seat assignment. Is Delta doing anything right now regarding Covid and a break on changing a ticket? Basic questions I know but I appreciate the knowledgeable forum members who so graciously help an infrequent traveler.
If it's your credit card, it won't do anything for your daughter if she is travelling solo. Free checked bag and main cabin 1 boarding only applies to primary cardholder (and companions on same reservation). Simply booking a flight with the card does not confer the benefit to the traveler (the benefit is based on your Skymiles number being associated with your Amex card and applies to your DL flights even if you don't use the card to book them). Basic Economy fares no longer offer free changes. However, they can still be changed with a $99 fee on domestic fares and $199 fee on international.
MSPeconomist and bloc0102 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 7:53 am

Have fares gone up significantly? Have not priced anything since September and what I am finding is higher than at Christmas time. I know everything has gone up including fuel.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have fares gone up significantly? Have not priced anything since September and what I am finding is higher than at Christmas time. I know everything has gone up including fuel.
Historically, fares tend to be higher starting from President's Day weekend through the Spring due to Winter/Spring Break travel demand (particularly for leisure destinations). January to mid-February tend to be cheaper due to lull in travel after the holidays (particularly if you meet the 2 to 3 week advance purchase requirements of cheapest fares).
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 11, 2022 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA

Seasonal increases, higher fuel costs, COVID fears decreasing=higher demand, inflation.

Take your pick.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:52 pm

Does anyone know what time Delta releases new inventory on any given morning? If only one seat is available at a price and one waits until morning in hopes of more seats at that price is what I am asking. Thanks
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know what time Delta releases new inventory on any given morning? If only one seat is available at a price and one waits until morning in hopes of more seats at that price is what I am asking. Thanks
There's no guarantee they will ever replenish fare bucket inventory if there is only one seat left in it and your purchase it. If you are purchasing closer in, you will also likely start running into advance purchase requirements. If lower fares require a 14-day or 21-day advance purchase (typically X and V fares), it doesn't matter if there X/V bucket inventory available on a flight if you no longer meet the advance purchase requirements as you won't be able to purchase them.
Old Mar 24, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Basic Economy: Seat Assigned At Gate?!?!?

It's my first time flying Basic Economy w/ Delta and despite United seeming more punitive overall, I'm surprised to see that Delta won't assign me a seat even after check-in... the app says I will get one at the airport?

Is this standard practice for Delta's Basic Economy, or should I say, be worried I'm high on the list for potentially getting bumped off?

(fwiw, Delta Comfort+ is nearly empty, all other sections are nearly full. Just 2 Economy seats left for selection)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.