Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/products-and-services/other-programs-services/basic-economy.html
  • Medallion Members, others with elite status, and Delta SkyMiles American Express credit card holders continue to enjoy their boarding benefits
  • Medallion Members will continue to enjoy waived checked baggage fees, Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding and Medallion mileage bonuses. However, please note Medallion Members will not receive paid or Complimentary Upgrades when flying on a Basic Economy fare.

For those with Skymiles Select (new sales currently discontinued due to COVID):

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/skymiles-select

Q. Does Main Cabin 1 Boarding purchased through SkyMiles Select apply to tickets purchased in Basic Economy?

A. Yes, you will receive Main Cabin 1 Boarding on tickets purchased in Basic Economy.
Print Wikipost

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SkyMiles Select works to get main cabin 1 boarding on DL-operated flights in “basic economy”. Who knows what it does when such DL-coded flights touching the US are operated by KLM or Air Farce? Nothing, is my guess.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GUWonder
SkyMiles Select works to get main cabin 1 boarding on DL-operated flights in “basic economy”. Who knows what it does when such DL-coded flights touching the US are operated by KLM or Air Farce? Nothing, is my guess.
The T&C refer to the benefit in a couple places as "unlimited access to “Main Cabin 1” Priority Boarding on Delta and Delta Connection flights" so although they doesn't explicitly say, your guess seems like a good one since I think exclusion by omission would be the default.

But if the info sent over to partners in some form as status is, then it's plausible you'd still get something vaguely equivalent.

Also LOL at "Air Farce"
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Dug into this a bit more out of curiosity...

Originally Posted by Zorak
I wonder if this actually upfares it to a main cabin ticket (including upgrade eligibility) or if it is purely a seat selection fee.
The T&C for this don't say, although they do note that the $29 is eligible for RDMs and MQDs

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ssignment.html

Twitter team confirms it's purely a seat selection and does not change the ticket or rules otherwise.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:03 am

basic economy is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:50 am

I know I am in the minority here but so far after many BE trips of 2 hours or less with my family of 5 I have never once regretted the decision as a PM to buy/use SM for BE and use the savings on the 10 flights towards hotel or car rental. Main cabin tickets costing $200 or less are effectively worthless when it comes to any changes anyways.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:13 am

Our family w/ two adults, two kids under 7 just flew Basic Economy RT IAD-JFK-ZRH. I'm a Platinum so we got the baggage/boarding benefits. We didn't pay extra for our seats in the days leading up to departure ($55ea), and while we were all seated together at the back of the plane, it may have not been the case if it was a fully-booked flight. Both times when I spoke to ground staff checking in, they said "families sit together".

Might do it again, might not.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Question. I helped my brother in law purchase PNS-ATL-RIC-ATL-PNS in BE. He checked in today exactly on time for the 6:30am flight from PNS-ATL and was able to select seats for him and his wife next to each other from what was left. But for the ATL-RIC flight they are unable to select seats even after hitting the departure time for that leg. Is this something that is built in where you can only select your seats at checkin for the first leg and just get assigned seats for the second leg? Is there a trick to be able to select available seats for the second leg or that's just the way it works?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Question. I helped my brother in law purchase PNS-ATL-RIC-ATL-PNS in BE. He checked in today exactly on time for the 6:30am flight from PNS-ATL and was able to select seats for him and his wife next to each other from what was left. But for the ATL-RIC flight they are unable to select seats even after hitting the departure time for that leg. Is this something that is built in where you can only select your seats at checkin for the first leg and just get assigned seats for the second leg? Is there a trick to be able to select available seats for the second leg or that's just the way it works?
I don't have the answer, but maybe it has to do with how many open seats are on the flight when you check in? I'd be curious to know.

I had a similar situation last month when flying BE to Mexico City (nonstop from JFK). For the flight down, I was able to choose a seat when I checked in at the kiosk, no problem. But on the way back, the seat wasn't assigned until at the gate right before boarding.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I don't have the answer, but maybe it has to do with how many open seats are on the flight when you check in? I'd be curious to know.

I had a similar situation last month when flying BE to Mexico City (nonstop from JFK). For the flight down, I was able to choose a seat when I checked in at the kiosk, no problem. But on the way back, the seat wasn't assigned until at the gate right before boarding.
Yeah this is very strange. First off I have no qualms about people who need to use BE. My BIL and his wife are once a year travelers. I made sure to let him know to be awake at 6:30AM CST 24 hour before so he could check in and select seats which he was able to do. They were able to select seats next to each other from PNS-ATL. Yes it's not a long flight but for once a year travelers it is comfortable for them. Hell(off topic), I even added him as an additional member to my DL Amex Plat. card so they could use it for the $39 a piece SC access on the way back for their 5 hour layover in ATL. I just don't understand how they can select their outbound seats for the first leg and not for the second leg. There are plenty of seats available but just not allowed, with the normal warning that your seats will be assigned at the gate and to ask for seat changes. Doesn't make sense. I imagine the same thing will happen on the way back where they check in for their RIC-ATL flight at the 24 hour clock and are able to select seats next to each other but the ATL-PNS leg will tell them that they will get their seats assigned at the gate. Seems like some weird IT issue gunking up the seat selection for more than the first leg. Anyone else have an answer for this?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:47 am

Are all the non-preferred seats taken?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Are all the non-preferred seats taken?
No they are not. This pic below is of as right now at 2:26AM CST and you can see all the seats at the back available but they are not selectable. There is even a message at the top which has been there since early in the morning time yesterday now. So strange...

Edit to add: It looks like in the picture I selected 35D but no matter what seat you select from 29 up it will give you a pop up message saying you are not allowed to select a seat and you will get it at the gate blah blah blah..

Last edited by AeRoSpaceman; Feb 13, 2020 at 1:32 am Reason: to add..
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Anyone else have an answer for this?
I think this is on purpose and has to do with the centralized team that helps clear the standby list/BE customers in ATL, so that one GA can work the entire flight.

I think they know ATL is their busiest hub with the most elites, so they want to save some of the better/more forward seats for all main and above to select (which may not be complete at T-24) then to place Medallions on BE into the best seats, then non-status customers.

I think ATL has so much volume, so much basic economy, so many Medallions - they hold them back like this so they can apply some method of preference to the seat selection and not just allow a free for all.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:47 am

Flying SJC-DTW and back at the end of next month. BE from SJC saved me ~$400 for 2 people, compared to any N/S from SFO, and probably close to $600 in savings for regular econ.
So I don't really care as long as we get there.

I am going to scan this thread, see whats up, and hopefully my wife and I can sit together on the flight. What I am wondering is what are the loads like on this flight? And when did DL start flying SJC-DTW non-stop.

SJC is not really close for me, but driving to SJC is still better than a layover in SLC/MSP/ORD. Even with paying for parking at the airport. the economics of this flight in BE works in my favor.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I think this is on purpose and has to do with the centralized team that helps clear the standby list/BE customers in ATL, so that one GA can work the entire flight.

I think they know ATL is their busiest hub with the most elites, so they want to save some of the better/more forward seats for all main and above to select (which may not be complete at T-24) then to place Medallions on BE into the best seats, then non-status customers.

I think ATL has so much volume, so much basic economy, so many Medallions - they hold them back like this so they can apply some method of preference to the seat selection and not just allow a free for all.
Huh, this reasoning makes no since? If you are saying that ATL has lots of medallions, BE, etc (which is true) than why the OP able to select seats on their flight to ATL? I’d assume that a flight to ATL would be no different than a flight from ATL in terms of the pax demographics.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:13 pm

I think that if you wait until <24 hrs before the connecting flight to check in at all you can then pick seats for both flights assuming they aren't full or close to full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.