777 w/Suites - Short Haul flight

Old Dec 7, 19, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

777 w/Suites - Short Haul flight

I happened to snag a pretty decent deal on a two legs of a return trip in a 777-200LR w/d1 suites, but coded as domestic first - LAX-ATL and ATL-JFK. D284 and d244. The plane looks like it's basically empty (though it's still a while out) and I think at least one of those legs isn't a regularly scheduled flight (can't find it on other days of the week or all other weeks). Out of curiosity, anyone know if this is a positioning flight for the aircraft? The layover is two hours so I'm guessing it's the same plane, but I'm not sure why it's flying this route instead of direct if so. Regardless, happy to have a cheap way to experience a decent int'l business hard product, if only for a few hours 😏
Old Dec 8, 19, 2:07 am

DL is trying to push consistent equipment on LAX-JFK (767-300). If I had to guess, the 777 needs to reposition to JFK and this is the way to do it without an expensive ferry.
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Alex Huerta View Post
... I think at least one of those legs isn't a regularly scheduled flight (can't find it on other days of the week or all other weeks).
Which one specifically? An ITA matrix search with "aircraft t:777" shows a daily ATL-JFK at least into January.
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
When is your flight?

I believe this is the way they are getting the 777 to JFK for the new JFK - BOM flight since at present there are no DL 777 flights into or out of JFK and they need the 77L for that flight.

(TLV is currently the longest flight into/out of JFK until BOM comes online but it is on an A333)
Zorak likes this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: Yes
DL244 ATL-JFK is indeed positioning for DL24 JFK-BOM which departs at 9 PM. Flights begin on 12/22.
Zorak and Duke787 like this.
Old Dec 8, 19, 11:22 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
I believe the 777 on ATL-LAX is positioning for LAX-SYD. it seems be to scheduled like that consistently
Old Dec 8, 19, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woodford02A View Post
I believe the 777 on ATL-LAX is positioning for LAX-SYD. it seems be to scheduled like that consistently
That's right.

I believe the required 77L routes currently are ATL - JNB, ATL - PVG, LAX - SYD, and JFK - BOM so they've got to get a 77L everyday to JFK and LAX.

Presumably that means a rotation of SYD - LAX - ATL - JFK - BOM - JFK - ATL - LAX - SYD (as noted by the OP) but perhaps they'll eventually put a 77L on JFK - LAX and bypass the ATL - JFK hop where they won't drive any significant revenue premium on such a short flight (but could benefit by having D1 Suites on a JFK - LAX rotation).
Old Dec 8, 19, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Executive Elite
Iíll be taking this fight ATL-JFK in late January as well. No D1 service but itíll be a comfortable short nap
Old Dec 8, 19, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Which one specifically? An ITA matrix search with "aircraft t:777" shows a daily ATL-JFK at least into January.
DL244 - the only previous flight I could find with that number was to Honolulu a while ago.
Old Dec 8, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Around holiday time especially, I've flown widebodies JFK-ATL and v/v with some regularity. Widebodies regularly show up as part of rotation, but sometimes are used for extra lift immediately before/after Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.
Old Dec 8, 19, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
DL283 / 284 (ATL - LAX) should be the natural extension of the LAX - SYD route that operates the same plane.

I've taken DL283 once late October. Called in to use one of my RUCs, waitlisted and got cleared 1 day prior to departure. There was only 1 seat left with 50+ people on the upgrade WL.

The service onboard was the standard domestic F class service: thin blanket, welcome drink, F class style food was served, and that's it. But the D1 suite was really comfortable that I managed to add two hours of sleep on the way.
Old Dec 8, 19, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Alex Huerta View Post
DL244 - the only previous flight I could find with that number was to Honolulu a while ago.
Ah -- flight numbers get repurposed all the time (well on some routes anyway), so good to search in both directions
Old Dec 8, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, RC/MR/SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
When is your flight?

I believe this is the way they are getting the 777 to JFK for the new JFK - BOM flight since at present there are no DL 777 flights into or out of JFK and they need the 77L for that flight.

(TLV is currently the longest flight into/out of JFK until BOM comes online but it is on an A333)
This is how they used to run it 15 years ago when JFK-BOM was still a thing (prior to moving it to ATL for the very short lived ATL-BOM experiment). I believe at that time it carried the same flight number all the way (ATL-JFK-BOM and BOM-JFK-ATL). If Iím not too delusional I believe it was DL15/16 or DL16/17 or something around there. At that time it was run with a 772 as the 77L had not joined the fleet yet, so I donít think it *has* to be a 77L.
Old Dec 8, 19, 9:52 pm
Accor Contributor Badge 2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Delta KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natonal EE, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rewards
Originally Posted by cmd320 View Post
This is how they used to run it 15 years ago when JFK-BOM was still a thing (prior to moving it to ATL for the very short lived ATL-BOM experiment). I believe at that time it carried the same flight number all the way (ATL-JFK-BOM and BOM-JFK-ATL). If Iím not too delusional I believe it was DL15/16 or DL16/17 or something around there. At that time it was run with a 772 as the 77L had not joined the fleet yet, so I donít think it *has* to be a 77L.
This is correct. DL16 was ATL-JFK-BOM. I flew it once on the domestic portion when it was a 777-200ER. When the LRs showed up, they made it nonstop from Atlanta.

-J.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: