Search

Cheap fare and health reasons?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Cheap fare and health reasons?

I booked a cheap fare on Delta
Due to health reasons considering not travelling

If I provide medical cert, will they not penalize me but let me travel later or return the fare to the source - I paid cash?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Cheap means basic economy, fare/booking class E?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
If it’s in Basic Economy (E), I wouldn’t count on it. DL (and others) have a pretty hard-line stance on no changes.

If it’s a regular fare, you may likely have luck getting the change fee waived if you move to a new date. I wouldn’t count on them waiving any fare difference though.

With documentation, they may also be willing to cancel the flight without a penalty, but I’d imagine you’d get an e-credit rather than a refund to original form of payment.

Anything Delta does is a courtesy here; they’re not obligated to do anything.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
as a silver medallion I had a change fee waived for a funeral. I didn't have to provide any of the details since I was just moving an already-purchased flight and not a bereavement fare. they MAY have some compassion but YMMV
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
If it’s in Basic Economy (E), I wouldn’t count on it. DL (and others) have a pretty hard-line stance on no changes.

If it’s a regular fare, you may likely have luck getting the change fee waived if you move to a new date. I wouldn’t count on them waiving any fare difference though.

With documentation, they may also be willing to cancel the flight without a penalty, but I’d imagine you’d get an e-credit rather than a refund to original form of payment.

Anything Delta does is a courtesy here; they’re not obligated to do anything.
I'm not quite sure about cancelling Basic Economy, but one time I changed BE for free due to food poisoning. It was during a connection from PVG-LAX on MU J (guess where I got food poisoned...) to LAX-SAN on DL BE. Called Diamond desk to see if I can standby for an earlier flight, the agent directly changed my flight with no fee. So I guess they can make some exceptions to the no change rules.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Delta has been very generous in allowing my friend to change two flights this year without charging the $200 change fee. One was his father's ticket when his dad became ill and had to stay with my friend longer; the other was when my friend had to move up a trip to check on his dad in another state. Both times there was no waiver of fare difference and neither were basic economy tickets.

So I think you have a pretty good chance of changing the dates without paying.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:12 pm

Granted this was on a regular economy ticket, not basic economy, but I had a relative diagnosed with cancer after purchasing a ticket. Since relative was going to take the trip anyway once doctor gave his blessing, agent cancelled without a change fee and issued a Delta credit good for one year. Unfortunately agent didn't process correctly although documented what agent was trying to do so a later agent was able to recreate what the intent was no questions asked plus waived any fees for booking via phone because didn't want to lose out on a fare since website was saying X number of tickets available and relative needed X number of seats.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Please report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.