New to DL - F seat Qs

Old Dec 4, 19, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
New to DL - F seat Qs

Hi all,

Noobie Q for DL, even though I'm not a noobie to FT. I've hit status on my "regular" airlines so I thought I'd give DL a try - I flew them lots back in the late 90s/early 2000s and enjoyed it. I have four flights coming up in F (DEN-MSP-DCA/DCA-ATL-DEN) on the 738, A319, A321, and 739ER respectively. My preferred domestic F seat is usually 1D on AA and UA, can you give me any feedback about 1D on these a/c? In some cases the bulkhead is the only option I have (which leads me to believe that it is undesirable), but I do have a choice between aisle or window.

Also, it appears that I have a meal on only one flight (ATL-DEN). What is the "snack" situation in DL F? Is it a carb-filled basket that gets passed around or something more substantial?

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 19, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta has a good amount of healthy options in the snack basket they pass around in F. Bags of almonds, KIND bars, bananas, and some other granola option have been offered on my recent flights. The FAs normally go through the cabin with the basket multiple times. The bulkhead is pretty close on both 737 variants. Not sure about the Airbus frames though.
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
MSP-DCA is a meal flight if it leaves during a designated mealtime.

I, too, book away from bulkheads in DL domestic F.
zpaul and cmx like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by eneq View Post
Delta has a good amount of healthy options in the snack basket they pass around in F. Bags of almonds, KIND bars, bananas, and some other granola option have been offered on my recent flights. The FAs normally go through the cabin with the basket multiple times. The bulkhead is pretty close on both 737 variants. Not sure about the Airbus frames though.
Healthy options also include oreos, cheez-its, potato chips, biscoff, michel et agustin cookies (very good btw), chocolate covered granola, and other processed garbage...oh wait. The snack basket is getting progressively unhealthier. They used to have a nice variety of reasonable healthy stuff, but now Delta catering is inspired by what can be found at a gas station convenience store.

1D on the 739 is the worst F seat in the entire fleet. Row 1 is good on the E175, but the rest of the fleet its a little cramped.
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
Healthy options also include oreos, cheez-its, potato chips, biscoff, michel et agustin cookies (very good btw), chocolate covered granola, and other processed garbage...oh wait. The snack basket is getting progressively unhealthier. They used to have a nice variety of reasonable healthy stuff, but now Delta catering is inspired by what can be found at a gas station convenience store.

1D on the 739 is the worst F seat in the entire fleet. Row 1 is good on the E175, but the rest of the fleet its a little cramped.
I didn't say everything in the basket was healthy. I was just pointing out what "healthier" options are available.
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I still can't figure out how to raise the aisle armrest......isn't there supposed to be a button on the underside?
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I still can't figure out how to raise the aisle armrest......isn't there supposed to be a button on the underside?
It's a few inches from the back of the armrest on the underside. It's missing very often and there's just a hole. Push up into the hole with your finger and you can release the latch.
AANYC1981, craig44485 and zpaul like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
... but now Delta catering is inspired by what can be found at a gas station convenience store.
You say that like it's a bad thing?
zpaul and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 6:24 pm

1D on the 739 is the worst F seat in the entire fleet. .
You cannot find a MORE-ACCURATE statement on flyertalk.
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

1D isn't the worst, it's 1A. 1D has more legroom than 1A - the bulkhead is physically farther from the seat. 1B has a "cutout" that gvies your feet an extra 2-3 inches, but 1A has that for only maybe a third of the seat. Voting based on seat selection proves this is a consensus: 1A is far away the most common upgrade seat I get (literally >50% of the time).

1A is a pretty awful seat. My left foot is always uncomfortable by the end of the foot from having my knee bent over it for hours.

If I had to rank Row 1, I'd probably say 1B is the best, 1C next, and then 1D (1D is far enough up that you lose shoulder space due to the curve of the plane), and 1A for the same deficiency of 1D combined with significantly less legroom.
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 4, 19, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ekozie View Post
MSP-DCA is a meal flight if it leaves during a designated mealtime.

I, too, book away from bulkheads in DL domestic F.
Plus the MSP-DCA and vv FC meals are usually pretty good because is't a business oriented route.
puck021 and zpaul like this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Bulkhead in F is where AA has an edge. Sadly DL doesn't give any extra space. I hate AA, but I do like the extra space in row 1 (or row 3 depending on if Boeingor Airbus)
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone! I've updated my seats to 1C in the bulkhead rows (when there isn't an option in other rows), and to 2B on the others, including the 739.

Appreciate the feedback regarding the snack baskets, as well. My MSP-DCA flight is between meal services (15:30-18:52) so it seems that I will become a snack basket expert on this trip!
Old Dec 5, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
When leaving DCA, and if you have an Amex Plat card, you can access the DL SkyClub. They do a pretty nice breakfast with plenty of healthy options. The food is also decent for lunch and dinner. MSP has good food as well. All hinge on you having a CC to get you in since F tickets don't get you into the club.
zpaul likes this.
Old Dec 6, 19, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCAproducer View Post
When leaving DCA, and if you have an Amex Plat card, you can access the DL SkyClub. They do a pretty nice breakfast with plenty of healthy options. The food is also decent for lunch and dinner. MSP has good food as well. All hinge on you having a CC to get you in since F tickets don't get you into the club.
Thanks, DCAproducer! I do, and I had forgotten that beyond the Centurion lounges the SkyClub was an option. That will make travel all the better.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: