Fog in SLC 12/4/19

Old Dec 4, 19, 12:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 222
Fog in SLC 12/4/19

Lots of flights are unable to land in SLC currently. Diversions to GJT, IDA, BOI, PVU, RKS and DEN so far. I am on a 737 trying to get out of SLC and its very slow going on the tarmac.
DLASflyer is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Posts: 1,349
FAA showing some delays: https://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

"Due to WEATHER / LOW VISIBILITY, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Salt Lake City International Airport, Salt Lake City, UT (SLC). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination"."
DCAproducer is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:26 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,076
Now ground stopped unless flight is CAT III ILS capable until 2015Z (1:15 MST) and the notice says conditions are below CAT II minimums. Imagine some airborne flights may have to divert if the wx does not improve.

Latest METAR reports 800 to 1,000 foot RVR from 16L. Sounds quite foggy indeed.

Code:
KSLC 041854Z 31005KT 1/8SM R16L/0800V1000FT FZFG OVC004 M01/M01 A3006 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1/2 SLP195 I1001 T10111011
.
findark is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:28 pm
  #4  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45 North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 9,702
I am scheduled to fly to SLC this afternoon. My flight has been delayed 3+ hours after the aircraft diverted to GJC (it's scheduled to depart to SLC at 12:30 local).

It was interesting to watch all the diversions on Flightradar24. Looks like BOI got quite a few. I noticed a JFK-SLC B6 flight diverted to Provo after quite a few circles north of the airport.

Last edited by TTT; Dec 4, 19 at 1:33 pm
TTT is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:30 pm
  #5  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45 North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 9,702
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Now ground stopped unless flight is CAT III ILS capable until 2015Z (1:15 MST) and the notice says conditions are below CAT II minimums. Imagine some airborne flights may have to divert if the wx does not improve.

Latest METAR reports 800 to 1,000 foot RVR from 16L. Sounds quite foggy indeed.

Code:
KSLC 041854Z 31005KT 1/8SM R16L/0800V1000FT FZFG OVC004 M01/M01 A3006 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1/2 SLP195 I1001 T10111011
.
What commercial aircraft are not CAT III?

I noticed an A321 land just as the ground stop was posted. It appeared to be the only one that made it in for quite a while.
TTT is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:35 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,076
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
What commercial aircraft are not CAT III?

I noticed an A321 land just as the ground stop was posted. It appeared to be the only one that made it in for quite a while.
CAT III ops require all of the aircraft, carrier, and crew to be certified and it's often not worth the cost to do so since weather is below CAT II minimums so rarely. I believe most/all regional carriers are not certified and/or don't routinely train their pilots (although this is going off the top of my head); don't know about mainline offhand. Yes, the aircraft themselves are capable.
MikeNYC1 likes this.
findark is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:39 pm
  #7  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45 North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 9,702
Originally Posted by findark View Post
CAT III ops require all of the aircraft, carrier, and crew to be certified and it's often not worth the cost to do so since weather is below CAT II minimums so rarely. I believe most/all regional carriers are not certified and/or don't routinely train their pilots (although this is going off the top of my head); don't know about mainline offhand. Yes, the aircraft themselves are capable.
Thanks for the explanation.
TTT is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:46 pm
  #8  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45 North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 9,702
Appears the ground stop is lifted.
https://www.fly.faa.gov/ois/
TTT is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:48 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MSP
Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 11,076
Listening to the tower, sounds like the fog has gotten a bit better. RVR of 5600 from what I could hear although it moves around a lot.
findark is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 1:49 pm
  #10  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45 North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Posts: 9,702
Originally Posted by findark View Post
Listening to the tower, sounds like the fog has gotten a bit better. RVR of 5600 from what I could hear although it moves around a lot.
This page is quite interesting:
https://rvr.data.faa.gov/cgi-bin/rvr...s=ct1575488851

Current RVRs for each runway.
findark likes this.
TTT is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 2:11 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 3,484
It's been nasty out here today - and we're expecting more of the same up until the weekend.
MastaHanky is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 5:42 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,180
Please note the issue is not fog but smog due to an inversion. As noted above, the inversion will last for several more days until the high pressure aloft move off. In the meantime, carefully chew while breathing.
Monoboy likes this.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: