Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL bumped me out of my confirmed Delta One BOS-AMS seat and won't say why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL bumped me out of my confirmed Delta One BOS-AMS seat and won't say why

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tma90
Didn't really think about this until now but I guess I get the 200% MQM bonus on the J fares now right? That brings me to another question...what is it supposed to be when using a GUC? OY or J?
certificate/mileage upgrades book into OY.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OY is the reissued D1 upgraded fare class on the reissued ticket. Normally you earn miles based on the originally purchased (coach, C+ or PS) fare, which would be 150% MQMs for PS and coach Y or B class and 100% MQMs for all other coach fares. IIRC paid C+ fares currently earn 125% but I'm not sure on that as I don't buy them; they might earn (probably 100%) based on the underlying coach dual inventory fare class.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:21 am

Didn't really think about this until now but I guess I get the 200% MQM bonus on the J fares now right?
...maybe. The system is better than it used to be about noticing when the booking class and paid class are out of sync and issuing MQMs based on the paid class. But it happens sometimes.

also the bonus is only 100%. You get a total of 200%. But I would assume you'll get what you paid for at booking and just be pleasantly surprised with anything extra.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The question is what OP will earn on the newly added domestic FC connecting flights. Normally it would be 150% for most paid FC fares, but if it's coded as O for award FC space, all bets are off.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The question is what OP will earn on the newly added domestic FC connecting flights. Normally it would be 150% for most paid FC fares, but if it's coded as O for award FC space, all bets are off.
Am I understanding correctly that my likely outcomes are one of the following?
A) 200% earning for J on international legs since they had to force that ticket when OY wasn't available + 100% earning on domestic O since it is coded as an upgrade over my coach purchase
B) 100% earning for all legs since I paid cash for coach for everything prior to using GUCs and the system will see that regardless of the forced J booking
Old Dec 5, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
A) 200% earning for J on international legs since they had to force that ticket when OY wasn't available + 100% earning on domestic O since it is coded as an upgrade over my coach purchase
B) 100% earning for all legs since I paid cash for coach for everything prior to using GUCs and the system will see that regardless of the forced J booking
B is what you're entitled to. A or B may be what actually happens.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:14 am

I am curious what the standard operating procedure for ticket re-issuing is. Should the initial booking agent have re-issued that ticket on day of purchase? Should it have been automatically re-issued a number of days from there? Or is it typical to leave it open until very close to departure in order to maintain flexibility with the GUC in the case of a change as some posters have indicated?
I can't really speak to what Delta's job aids / standard procedures say, but my understanding is that the ticket is supposed to be reissued 24 hours after the upgrade is confirmed, once the risk-free period has elapsed. In practice, I've seen GUCs not be reissued until the day of departure.

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
How can one tell if one's ticket has been properly reissued after a GUC/RUC upgrade "clears"? If I pull up the flight receipt (not the reservation) from reading the above and it says Class: OY am I good? Status of the segment still shows Open but I believe it stays open until you actually fly the ticket? Certificates still show open but I think it's the same concept - not closed until actually flown?
As another poster mentioned, if the new ticket number on the flight receipt is different from the old ticket number, the ticket has been reissued. The segments will show "OPEN" (or "APRT" in the case of partner flights) till flown, but the GUC should show "CLOSED." However, there are numerous reports here of GUCs not actually being CLOSED when the upgraded ticket is reissued (it's happened to me multiple times). In these cases, you can typically "reuse" the GUC.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rucksack
However, there are numerous reports here of GUCs not actually being CLOSED when the upgraded ticket is reissued (it's happened to me multiple times). In these cases, you can typically "reuse" the GUC.
This is actually happening to me. The final agent said something a prior agent had done split off one of my 4 GUCs from the itinerary and it was too complicated to get it all back so he just left it OPEN and forced everything just using 3 of them. So I guess I have a freebie until 01/30/2020 but likely won't be able to use it.
rucksack likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I actually think there's a C) that's most likely: 200% earning for the international legs and 0% earning on domestic O because the system reads it as an award ticket.
MSPeconomist and rucksack like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta
I just had the same thing happen with a Premium Select seat that I purchased on an international flight. I am a Diamond with almost 3M miles and they downgraded me. I have been fighting with them about it and have gotten no where. It is just maddening. It does seem they are taking a more aggressive and very unaccommodating stance on these international tickets and with their best flyers - very disappointing.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mrichburg1
I just had the same thing happen with a Premium Select seat that I purchased on an international flight. I am a Diamond with almost 3M miles and they downgraded me. I have been fighting with them about it and have gotten no where. It is just maddening. It does seem they are taking a more aggressive and very unaccommodating stance on these international tickets and with their best flyers - very disappointing.
What are they saying? PS has some agents confused.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SamOF
I actually think there's a C) that's most likely: 200% earning for the international legs and 0% earning on domestic O because the system reads it as an award ticket.
Unlikely. O is what GUC on DL metal is booked in. OY to be precise, but depending where you look, only O shows. System normally gets these right.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:31 am

Do you know why the downgrade happened? Was there a change of equipment? And are agents trying to say that PS and C+ are the same?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What exactly are you fighting over / what is their pushback?
You're not entitled to an upgrade to business class, although there were reports of DL doing this in the earlier days of premium economy sales and swaps.
There should be no issue changing your flight a day earlier or later, assuming those flights are still expected to be operated with PE-equipped aircraft.
There should be no issue re-routing you, including on a partner like AF, if there is an alternate routing that works for you and has PE for sale.
And there should be no issue giving you a full refund on the ticket.
flyerCO and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unlikely. O is what GUC on DL metal is booked in. OY to be precise, but depending where you look, only O shows. System normally gets these right.
My GUCed and reissued ticket receipts all say OY on delta.dumb. Just O can be interpreted as one of the cheaper (in terms of miles) award tickets in FC/D1. [ADDED: Once my upgrade has been confirmed, the itinerary on delta.dumb shows the flight segment as DELTA ONE (OY) even if the ticket has not yet been reissued. At this point I can select D1 seats of course.]

My bet would be that OP gets 200% MQMs (J) on the international segments and nothing (O or award ticket) on the domestic parts, but the ticket seems unusual enough that agents will probably look and post its manually, perhaps with several attempts to figure it out.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 5, 2019 at 12:32 pm Reason: Addition at end of first paragraph

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.