Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Denied Skyteam Lounge Access on J Tix Flying SU ex-PEK

Denied Skyteam Lounge Access on J Tix Flying SU ex-PEK

Old Dec 3, 19, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Angry Denied Skyteam Lounge Access on J Tix Flying SU ex-PEK

Folks,

Second time in a month this has happened... I am flying in J on SU PEK-SVO-LHR (my commute lately). The lounge dragons at the PEK Skyteam lounge in T2 denied me entry with my SU boarding pass that clearly shows "Sky Priority" and even after showing my current DL Diamond Medallion/Elite Plus physical card.

No explanation given - Just that "Aeroflot customers have access to the Air China Lounge." I know that, but that lounge blows, which is why I preferred to use the Skyteam Lounge.

Anyone else had this issue? I have never had this flying SU or any other carrier out of any airport. But this definitely seems like an instutionalised policy here in PEK.

Regards,
TFD
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
Truly bizarre.

Also curious why you prefer the ST lounge to the AC? In my opinion they both blow equally (which is to say, a lot.)
Old Dec 3, 19, 10:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect the rules are slightly different (beyond guest entitlement) depending on whether one seeks access based on a J ticket versus as a SkyTeamElitePlus member flying a SkyTeam international itinerary (in any cabin class). It might be useful to look carefully at SkyTeam published policies on this and then attempt to make clear to lounge dragons the basis on which one is attempting entry.

OTOH SU doesn't play well with others, especially on lounge access. For example, IIRC AF passengers were denied lounge use at SVO because of a supposed unpaid bill.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
This is a lounge issue. They dont seem to grasp that a STE+ flying any ST airline can use regardless of where that airline normally sends. I've had issues in the past when flying GA PEK-CGK. I held firm and finally had a supervisor give up on arguing with me. I think issue is that the lounge while branded ST is operated by a third party.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wouldn't all of the "SkyTeam" lounges be operated by third parties? I don't think the alliance would want to get into the business of lounge operation at a few scattered airports.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta. United. IHG. Marriott.
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...al%20Intl(PEK)

Aeroflot only shows as having access to the Air China Business Class Lounge. It would be another thing if it showed access like it does in JFK for MU booked STE+ and AF denying access even though SkyTeam says that you are eligible.
Old Dec 3, 19, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by SouthernCanada View Post
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...al%20Intl(PEK)

Aeroflot only shows as having access to the Air China Business Class Lounge. It would be another thing if it showed access like it does in JFK for MU booked STE+ and AF denying access even though SkyTeam says that you are eligible.
It's interesting that the attached rules simply say that J passengers and ElitePlus members (traveling in any cabin on a SkyTeam international itinerary) have access to a lounge, not that they may enter any member lounge.

I also noticed the restriction that all connecting flights (even if domestic) must be operated by a SkyTeam member, which could be an issue if connecting flights are on the same ticket/PNR but include a short flight to/from an airport not served by SkyTeam. A small airport in Alaska would be an example, where one would interline with AS. Another example could be domestic flights in Australia operated by VS or any travel to NZ which IIRC has no SkyTeam service.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's interesting that the attached rules simply say that J passengers and ElitePlus members (traveling in any cabin on a SkyTeam international itinerary) have access to a lounge, not that they may enter any member lounge.

I also noticed the restriction that all connecting flights (even if domestic) must be operated by a SkyTeam member, which could be an issue if connecting flights are on the same ticket/PNR but include a short flight to/from an airport not served by SkyTeam. A small airport in Alaska would be an example, where one would interline with AS. Another example could be domestic flights in Australia operated by VS or any travel to NZ which IIRC has no SkyTeam service.
Air China does the LH trick (see the FRA Senator and Business Class lounges) of having a lounge for their own business class travelers and a lounge for alliance elites, with presumably the latter being somewhat less good.
Old Dec 3, 19, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl View Post
Air China does the LH trick (see the FRA Senator and Business Class lounges) of having a lounge for their own business class travelers and a lounge for alliance elites, with presumably the latter being somewhat less good.
OT, but I think of this as the SQ SIN trick.
lsquare and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hhdl View Post
CA Business and First lounges are identical, each a mirror copy of the other. J pax can go into the F lounge no problem (and vice versa). Access is the same, lounge set-up is the same.

I can see why one would not like the CA lounge at PEK. Most of the drinks & food there is expired months if not years ago (for example, apple juice has literally turned to liquor). Fresh bits are actually eatable, but good luck catching the always-in-hiding kitchen staff and getting them to make you what the posters say outside they should offer.

Oh, and there is often a lot of heavy smoking in the CA lounges - usually around the time of SU flight departures.
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta. United. IHG. Marriott.

Agreed on the wording. Some lawyer wrote it in order for the airlines to reduce their total cost. Nothing is done in favor of the customer.

The restriction is very much an issue. The wife and I were impacted by IRROPS in September. As we were only ticketed in PE, we had access via STE+ benefits. We were returning from PPT on AF via LAX then MSP but due to AF and their shenanigans, we ended up on PPT-HNL operated by HA then HNL-LAX-XXX. This removed our STE+ benefits and I had to explain the situation to the agents at HNL and LAX. Both clubs let us in but the LAX agents were much friendlier and happier than the agents in HNL. It was annoying since we were coming from international on a DL ticketed travel.
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, United Plat, Amex Plat, Hotels.com Gold, Hertz 5 star, WMATA smartrip card
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post

Oh, and there is often a lot of heavy smoking in the CA lounges - usually around the time of SU flight departures.
Where? In the bathrooms?
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond

NZ has service on China Eastern and I believe Korean Air.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by koreanair720 View Post
Where? In the bathrooms?
In the open seating area that's overlooking the terminal.

At least I've experienced it twice, but I've only been at the CA PEK lounge a few times (I unusually go to the F vs J one, as it has marginally less people). Now with no more CA PEK-HNL flight, haven't been there recently.

I am 98% sure it's non-smoking, as, I believe, is the entire airport. But in the lounge no one cares. There's lots of staff, but they're usually all hidden away, probably squirreling away all the non-expired food and drinks home (like Chinese airline crew friends & relatives, where I've heard lots of clinking bottles in the galley as the plane is starting to descent and observed heavy, clinking duffel bags deplane, that came aboard empty).

I just wasn't aware that SU even operates out of T3E at PEK. I thought that was just for CA and other *A airlines. Or may be the OP is talking of another CA lounge and not the F & J duo at T3E at PEK.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
In the open seating area that's overlooking the terminal.

At least I've experienced it twice, but I've only been at the CA PEK lounge a few times (I unusually go to the F vs J one, as it has marginally less people). Now with no more CA PEK-HNL flight, haven't been there recently.

I am 98% sure it's non-smoking, as, I believe, is the entire airport. But in the lounge no one cares. There's lots of staff, but they're usually all hidden away, probably squirreling away all the non-expired food and drinks home (like Chinese airline crew friends & relatives, where I've heard lots of clinking bottles in the galley as the plane is starting to descent and observed heavy, clinking duffel bags deplane, that came aboard empty).

I just wasn't aware that SU even operates out of T3E at PEK. I thought that was just for CA and other *A airlines. Or may be the OP is talking of another CA lounge and not the F & J duo at T3E at PEK.
Ah, I see. I think OP was actually referring to the T2 CA lounge, which is only on the ground level.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: