Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Delta cancelled OAK-ATL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
There will be BART service to San Jose "any day now" (for the last year or so).
Not San Jose Airport though. Is there a plan for an airport shuttle from Berryessa or anything like that?
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Not San Jose Airport though. Is there a plan for an airport shuttle from Berryessa or anything like that?
Connection with existing bus lines. SJC is served by bus 10 that connects you with the light rail. You'd connect BART -> Light Rail -> bus 10 -> SJC (convoluted...)
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Connection with existing bus lines. SJC is served by bus 10 that connects you with the light rail. You'd connect BART -> Light Rail -> bus 10 -> SJC (convoluted...)
No thanks. I don't even like going to OAK via BART. SFO is so much better since BART actually goes to the airport terminal.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:36 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
SJC and public transit is annoying, needing to bus to the light rail stop (about a mile away), or to the Caltrain/Amtrak station (which is pretty close to the airport property, but is on non-passenger terminal side of the runway. I suppose SJC makes sense for a lot of people south of Oakland, but as one of those unfortunate people who are north/east of Oakland and would have to basically pass OAK to get to SJC, it's a last resort option for me after OAK and SFO.

I wonder if DL won't compete at OAK in part because it's basically a WN fortress hub (with about 75% of the traffic). Though for a few years, DL was #2 in passenger traffic at OAK (though I understand that full planes doesn't necessarily mean profitable).
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by The Situation
Makes perfect sense, because people inexplicably love WN. I know quite a few people in CA with status on major carriers (or that could have status with major carriers), but they all still prefer WN intra-CA even when they have direct flights available with airline they have status with. A full flight does not necessarily mean a profitable flight.
I don't think it's inexplicable at all. The lack of seat selection and inferior IRROPS aren't much of an issue on short flights within a state that rarely experiences weather issues. No change fees or checked bag fees make it even more appealing.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by third_wave
I don't think it's inexplicable at all. The lack of seat selection and inferior IRROPS aren't much of an issue on short flights within a state that rarely experiences weather issues. No change fees or checked bag fees make it even more appealing.
Also, thanks to Basic Economy, WN is cheaper than its competition on routes with closely matching fare tables.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:55 am

Once VTA switches to their "next network", this will all change. This major change in bus routing was meant to coincide with BART Silicon Valley opening. With the BART delays, this change had been put on hold. However, it seems that by the end of the month, VTA will start the new bus routing even though BART is still not open.

In "next network", bus 60 will run from Milpitas BART, to SJC, to Santa Clara Caltrain, to Valley Fair mall (i.e. also Santa Row), terminating in Campbell. (The current 60 runs Caltrain to Campbell.) The 10 bus will be discontinued. Passengers boarding at SJC will not be charged a fare, however passengers boarding elsewhere heading to the airport will be charged.

I don't know if the new routing will use buses with luggage racks. Possibly yes because the current 60 does not have high ridership - it's been a route that gets the oldest most decrepit buses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.