FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   JFK-SEA in D1 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1997943-jfk-sea-d1.html)

UVAhoo06 Dec 3, 2019 5:23 am

JFK-SEA in D1

I usually fly between JFK-SFO/LAX, and as a designated D1 route, there’s always been at least 3-4 entrees to choose from. A few years ago, DL expanded their D1 service on select flights, including 2 flights per day from JFK-SEA — all other flights are treated as domestic first: https://news.delta.com/delta-one-ser...mestic-markets

I’m confirmed in D1 from JFK-SEA, and I just got the email to preselect my meal for my upcoming flight to SEA. There are only two options: chicken salad or hamburger. This seems like a far cry from the more elevated options that I’d normally find in D1 flights between JFK and SFO/LAX. In fact, these seem like the usual domestic first class meal options.

This is my first time flying JFK-SEA in D1. Are these D1 flights actually a step down from D1 flights between JFK-SFO/LAX?

Often1 Dec 3, 2019 6:48 am

Check the date and flight number to be certain that it is still D1. That route is a mix of F and D1. If it is still D1, I would call DL and ask. Could easily be an IT glitch sending out the F menu for that day.

UVAhoo06 Dec 3, 2019 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31799485)
Check the date and flight number to be certain that it is still D1. That route is a mix of F and D1. If it is still D1, I would call DL and ask. Could easily be an IT glitch sending out the F menu for that day.

It’s definitely the D1 flight — at least according to the flight schedule, pricing, and the fact that premium cabin is sold as D1 and not FC I’m DL.com. If it’s regular domestic FC, I’m going to be a tad bummed because I burned a RUC on this when I could’ve saved it for a different flight...

btonkid12345 Dec 3, 2019 7:23 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 31799597)
It’s definitely the D1 flight — at least according to the flight schedule, pricing, and the fact that premium cabin is sold as D1 and not FC I’m DL.com. If it’s regular domestic FC, I’m going to be a tad bummed because I burned a RUC on this when I could’ve saved it for a different flight...

Really? A 6.5 hour flight isn’t worth a lie flat seat? I care about the seat much more than the food anyways

plus the smaller D1 cabins on the 752s usually get more personalized service anyways as a function of the 16 seat cabin versus the 40 seaters that often fly to LA

SFTNYC Dec 3, 2019 8:03 am

Keep in mind while I think 2 or so (of the 4-5) daily flights get an international 757with lie-flats, I've been flying this route fairly frequently lately and I think it's only one flight in each direction that gets D1 (the ~7am westbound and ~11am eastbound). If they added a second daily it's fairly recent - though if it was marketed as D1 when you bought it that's odd that that's the menu (it should still be at least 3 entrees, not sure domestic D1 gets 4 anymore but I'm sure somebody will correct me).

Often1 Dec 3, 2019 8:05 am

As noted above, just call DL. Confirm that it is D1 and ask about the menu issue.

UVAhoo06 Dec 3, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31799750)
As noted above, just call DL. Confirm that it is D1 and ask about the menu issue.

Took your advice and called DL. DM agent said that options were fish, beef, pasta, or entree salad. None of those were options (except the hamburger) when I got the email from DL. That said, I have zero idea what the "fish" option is. What's going on with this glitch?

ekozie Dec 3, 2019 8:36 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 31799827)
Took your advice and called DL. DM agent said that options were fish, beef, pasta, or entree salad. None of those were options (except the hamburger) when I got the email from DL. That said, I have zero idea what the "fish" option is. What's going on with this glitch?

Next we know the email choices are going to be cockroach or grasshopper, since the only thing DL IT can serve up are bugs.

DCAproducer Dec 3, 2019 8:42 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 31799827)

Welcome to Delta IT. While the ordering ahead has gotten better, it's not perfect. I've gotten on flights where the FA's tell me they got my order, but the catering was completely different. In D1 it's pretty standard to get a beef, fish/chicken, and one vegetarian option.

By the way, one other way to confirm if you're on the D1 flight is look at the seat map and aircraft assigned to the route. If it's a 75S, it's a D1 757.
Obviously there can be an equipment swap, but the D1 equipped 757 is the only one with 16 seats up front.

UVAhoo06 Dec 3, 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer (Post 31799860)
Welcome to Delta IT. While the ordering ahead has gotten better, it's not perfect. I've gotten on flights where the FA's tell me they got my order, but the catering was completely different. In D1 it's pretty standard to get a beef, fish/chicken, and one vegetarian option.

By the way, one other way to confirm if you're on the D1 flight is look at the seat map and aircraft assigned to the route. If it's a 75S, it's a D1 757.
Obviously there can be an equipment swap, but the D1 equipped 757 is the only one with 16 seats up front.

Yup -- 16 seats and is the 75S. Good to know that I wasn't crazy in this situation -- on the DL app, it says the flight has FC, C+, Y. But because my flight is one two that is designated as D1, I'm wondering if this is where the glitch happened -- that whomever set up the program that pushes out the pre-order emails didn't account for these exceptions.

_fx Dec 3, 2019 9:43 am

The burger is indeed not “elevated” but personally I think it’s quite tasty. Juicy and comes with various trimmings, not just a piece of dry meat and bread like you often find. So you could do worse.

The Situation Dec 3, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer (Post 31799860)

Yes, there are definitely some glitches. Someone I know that flew last week said that they had only catered 3 meals despite preorders:eek:

UVAhoo06 Dec 4, 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation (Post 31800416)
Yes, there are definitely some glitches. Someone I know that flew last week said that they had only catered 3 meals despite preorders:eek:

Just an update: Turns out that there are only TWO meal options. So, the email that I received was accurate: salad or hamburger. The FA said there was no fish option even though I pre-ordered this entree with the DM desk. She said that the ordering system hasn’t split off in a way that distinguishes JFK-LAX/SFO from other domestic D1-designated flights. This is all to say that non-JFK-LAX/SFO flights are considered D1-lite, even though DL touts these new routes (on specific flights) as D1.

ekozie Dec 4, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 31805327)
Just an update: Turns out that there are only TWO meal options. So, the email that I received was accurate: salad or hamburger. The FA said there was no fish option even though I pre-ordered this entree with the DM desk. She said that the ordering system hasn’t split off in a way that distinguishes JFK-LAX/SFO from other domestic D1-designated flights. This is all to say that non-JFK-LAX/SFO flights are considered D1-lite, even though DL touts these new routes (on specific flights) as D1.

Did she offer you miles on the spot? That's an unacceptable service failure on DL's fault (not the FA's, obviously).

Also terrible choices for what's marketed as D1 service.

The Situation Dec 4, 2019 2:15 pm

Could be worse...the options for my upcoming SEA-JFK flight (non-D1) are a salami sandwich or chicken farro salad. :rolleyes: