Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying tomorrow BUF/JFK/ZRH but it's not printing JFK/ZRH passes?

Flying tomorrow BUF/JFK/ZRH but it's not printing JFK/ZRH passes?

Old Dec 2, 19, 8:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
Flying tomorrow BUF/JFK/ZRH but it's not printing JFK/ZRH passes?

Hello, I am flying tomorrow from BUF/JFK early in the morning, then at night flying JFK/ZRH (all one ticket on Delta). I checked in online tonight, and it's only showing me the BUF/JFK boarding passes (as well as asking if I would choose to be voluntarily bumped). It is not allowing me to see/print the JFK/ZRH passes.

Any help as to why this would be? I know JFK had issues today, and I see a long standby list on the early BUF/JFK flight. All day long when I looked at checking in it was not showing the JFK/ZRH flight. When I finally checked in after 8pm it asked if I would consider being bumped for the BUF/JFK leg (I said yes). That doesn't commit me to being bumped does it? I am not seeing any other good ZRH connections that would allow me to connect to a train that I already have tickets for in ZRH.

I don't get why it's not letting me get my boarding passes.

Thank you for any information!
grapefarmer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:24 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,054
More than 24 hours from now?
dmbolp is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Food Lion MVP
Posts: 550
Adding your name to the bump list at check-in does not commit you to anything. In fact, there are several reports from the hive that the OLCI bid processes is only for DL to collect data, and doesn't really see any use at the airport. If you're interested in a VDB, best to approach the GA in Buffalo and see if they might need any volunteers.

If you're still not seeing the boarding pass after rechecking after T-24 for JFK-ZRH and also not getting an error message, I would give Delta a call. It's possible something's screwy with the ticket (not the reservation, but the ticket itself) and it's best sorted on the phone ahead of time than DoD.
ekozie is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:29 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
Not more than 24 hrs, though I thought that at first when I looked to check in for the original flight. When I finally checked in it was 23 hrs. Thanks for the thought though!
grapefarmer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 19, 11:05 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,178
Almost certainly related to passport or other document verification.

If you travel internationally a few times a year, DL may have on file and just verify at the gate (that's what happened to me this year) but if it's been a while, or if there is something about your profile that has ambiguity for the specific itinerary, a check may be required and no boarding pass provided until your documents are verified (which will happen at BUF).
Duke787 is online now  
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:10 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,045
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Almost certainly related to passport or other document verification.

If you travel internationally a few times a year, DL may have on file and just verify at the gate (that's what happened to me this year) but if it's been a while, or if there is something about your profile that has ambiguity for the specific itinerary, a check may be required and no boarding pass provided until your documents are verified (which will happen at BUF).
A BP still prints in that case. Just doesn't say DOCSOK.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:45 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: ANC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 485
Try doing a manual check-in. Go to the check-in screen from the homepage (not your specific reservation) and enter your confirmation number and departure airport (JFK... not BUF). This should allow you to print a BP for the JFK-ZRH leg. Note that if you are checking bags you will have to have the agent manually modify the bag destination at bag drop as the system will auto short-check to JFK in this case. The agent, or a Red Coat, can override and check all the way to ZRH.

Had this exact same issue last month traveling ANC-MSP, 8 hr connection, then MSP-ICN-BKK.
GagaPilot is offline  
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:57 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
Mystery solved perhaps. Too long of a time between flights. If it is more than 8 hours they force you to recheck in at the connection. So have to pick up bag and go through security again. Scratching my head about this because then what....we can’t check in until a few hours before the flight? What do we do....sit in the departure area with our bag? Not a whole lot of sense. Though they apparently worry they will lose, trip over the bag. We shall see
grapefarmer is offline  
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:11 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 85
Originally Posted by grapefarmer View Post
Mystery solved perhaps. Too long of a time between flights. If it is more than 8 hours they force you to recheck in at the connection. So have to pick up bag and go through security again. Scratching my head about this because then what....we canít check in until a few hours before the flight? What do we do....sit in the departure area with our bag? Not a whole lot of sense. Though they apparently worry they will lose, trip over the bag. We shall see
JFK has luggage storage. If you are feeling adventurous you can drop off your bags there and see a bit of NYC.
goldrush3 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:32 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 17,045
This is incorrect. Bags can be checked through up to 12hrs (between DL flights at US/CANADA airports). Over 6 hours, the system auto short checks and agent must tell system to check bags all the way.


This has zero to do with getting a BP.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:45 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4
Hopefully this resolved though it was somewhat frustrating.

when we arrived at JFKabout 11am we went to one of the Delta help desks to make sure what was going on. They told us that if it was more than 6 hrs before the flight and we had a checked bag we would not be able to check it as they worried it would get lost or be in the way.

At this point we had 2 hrs before we could theoretically check in. The woman at the desk told us where to go to get our luggage and that we would have to go through security again and it would probably take 2 hrs to do it. We got our luggage and there was no where to sit on the first floor. It was crowded. We stopped at a delta desk there (recheck area) and they said they could not take our luggage but perhaps the departure people would as they ďdonít follow the rulesĒ.

We went to ticketing, got boarding passes at the machine with no problem (our global entry info is all registered online at delta) showing we would check a bag, took it to baggage dropoff, and she said not itís not 6 hrs. I said this was a flight that Delta had put together, not one I had pieced together and we didnít want to keep a hold of it. We arenít familiar with NYC and didnít feel comfortable going into the city. She said fine, but if something happened to it, we were warned and she would note down that we had been told and still told them to take the bag.

Really? I just think thatís part of their job. Again, it was a Delta booked flight. They should be able to handle the luggage. So hopefully it will be on the flight. At this point according to the app it was destined for the plane.
grapefarmer is offline  
Old Dec 4, 19, 3:17 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: ANC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 485
Originally Posted by grapefarmer View Post
Hopefully this resolved though it was somewhat frustrating.

when we arrived at JFKabout 11am we went to one of the Delta help desks to make sure what was going on. They told us that if it was more than 6 hrs before the flight and we had a checked bag we would not be able to check it as they worried it would get lost or be in the way.

At this point we had 2 hrs before we could theoretically check in. The woman at the desk told us where to go to get our luggage and that we would have to go through security again and it would probably take 2 hrs to do it. We got our luggage and there was no where to sit on the first floor. It was crowded. We stopped at a delta desk there (recheck area) and they said they could not take our luggage but perhaps the departure people would as they ďdonít follow the rulesĒ.

We went to ticketing, got boarding passes at the machine with no problem (our global entry info is all registered online at delta) showing we would check a bag, took it to baggage dropoff, and she said not itís not 6 hrs. I said this was a flight that Delta had put together, not one I had pieced together and we didnít want to keep a hold of it. We arenít familiar with NYC and didnít feel comfortable going into the city. She said fine, but if something happened to it, we were warned and she would note down that we had been told and still told them to take the bag.

Really? I just think thatís part of their job. Again, it was a Delta booked flight. They should be able to handle the luggage. So hopefully it will be on the flight. At this point according to the app it was destined for the plane.
I am sorry you were so misinformed for this trip. ANYTIME in the future this happens again, immediately and politely, ask for a "Red Coat." Delta can ABSOLUTELY thru check a bag for more than 6 hours (or 8 as in your original post). My experience is that if the connection is over 8 hours, the system will just automatically not do it. It requires a manual override. Many agents do not know (or simply are not willing) to do this. The baggage destination must be "manually modified" and supported by a ticket (such as your current reservation or another interline carrier reservation). A first indicator of this issue is the website not printing the BP for your connecting segment out of JFK. That can be fixed by doing a manual check-in on the website from the check-in page within 24 hours of departure, but you must enter your confirmation number and departure airport for the BP that is not printing... not your origin airport. I did this last month for an 8 hour 45 min connection in MSP. It required a Red Coat, but was successful.
GagaPilot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread