Upgrades to Thailand?

Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Upgrades to Thailand?

I have a handful of GUCs expiring in January (also a ton of RDMs) and just started planning a trip NYC to Thailand.

Oddly it seems like there is no routing to Thailand on Delta at all? Can anyone offer the best advice on routings/partners to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or even weird detours, where I have a decent shot of using GUCs or miles for an upgrade?

The only paid options that I am seeing are on Korean Air -- even though GUCs are technically supported by Korean, they seem to have zero availability, ever, and DL says there is also no option to waitlist. (And I can't even transfer other miles into Korean, they don't participate with Amex, etc.) .

How close will Delta metal get me to Thailand?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by marcworld
I have a handful of GUCs expiring in January (also a ton of RDMs) and just started planning a trip NYC to Thailand.

Oddly it seems like there is no routing to Thailand on Delta at all? Can anyone offer the best advice on routings/partners to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or even weird detours, where I have a decent shot of using GUCs or miles for an upgrade?

The only paid options that I am seeing are on Korean Air -- even though GUCs are technically supported by Korean, they seem to have zero availability, ever, and DL says there is also no option to waitlist. (And I can't even transfer other miles into Korean, they don't participate with Amex, etc.) .

How close will Delta metal get me to Thailand?
If there is no GUC space on Korean, then the furthest you can get on the GUC is Shanghai, Beijing, Seoul, Manila, or Tokyo. Delta doesn't fly any further into Asia than those cities. You cannot use GUCs on China Eastern. You could use a GUC to get you to Amsterdam or Paris, and then use FB miles to get to Thailand from there.

Last edited by eneq; Dec 3, 2019 at 6:21 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Closest on DL metal will be in China. May be tough to use the GUCs there too though.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not odd at all if you've been following DL NRT hub dismantling over the last few years. PVG is as close as you will get on DL metal. You can get to BKK on AF/KL metal, but only on their fares which are not upgradable with GUC's (DL fares do not permit eastbound travel to Asia).

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 3, 2019 at 1:19 am
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Closest on DL metal will be in China. May be tough to use the GUCs there too though.
I've had good luck using GUC's between China and Seattle because Delta uses a 767-300. Any route with the more desirable A-350 is tough.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I've had good luck using GUC's between China and Seattle because Delta uses a 767-300. Any route with the more desirable A-350 is tough.
SEA-PVG is now A339 and PEK will be A339 shortly. PVG usually goes out with at least a few upgrades, albeit gate.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:58 pm

What about VS to DEL via LHR as another option? End of January is getting close for the lowest fares and upgrade space, but there are some dates in showing DL marketed, VS operates fares at $1150 that correspond with EF showing G availability both ways.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ajggiant
What about VS to DEL via LHR as another option? End of January is getting close for the lowest fares and upgrade space, but there are some dates in showing DL marketed, VS operates fares at $1150 that correspond with EF showing G availability both ways.
It has to be DL coded to be upgraded for VS metal . AFAIK none of the Asian VS destinations are DL codeshared.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It has to be DL coded to be upgraded for VS metal . AFAIK none of the Asian VS destinations are DL codeshared.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ajggiant
This is a plus then. JNB used to be the only non TATL with DL code.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I know nothing about GUC as I'm only a PM. That said, I've been to Thailand a few times on MU JFK-PVG-KUL/BKK/CNX/SIN. (Not all Thailand, but same general area.) I've had both MU and FM jets. Either way, it's a narrow body out of PVG, but they both offer a domestic first cabin, not EuroBiz. I would expect the same out of PEK and ICN. Maybe look into schedules and longest D1 flight and pick that? I guess you could do ICN-MNL, but I would recommend a double connect over a single just for more time in a free D1 seat.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I know nothing about GUC as I'm only a PM. That said, I've been to Thailand a few times on MU JFK-PVG-KUL/BKK/CNX/SIN. (Not all Thailand, but same general area.) I've had both MU and FM jets. Either way, it's a narrow body out of PVG, but they both offer a domestic first cabin, not EuroBiz. I would expect the same out of PEK and ICN. Maybe look into schedules and longest D1 flight and pick that? I guess you could do ICN-MNL, but I would recommend a double connect over a single just for more time in a free D1 seat.
MU from PVG flies all widebodies to SIN and semi regularly to BKK.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
MU from PVG flies all widebodies to SIN and semi regularly to BKK.
I must've found the one flight with a narrow body then, cause it was a single aisle jet for sure. would've loved to not be on one those for those flights. They aren't short.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
I booked CDG-BKK via Vietnam (SGN/HAN are both possible) on VN's A350 for 100,000 skymiles in business class return for new year's. My US-EU ticket is a separate ticket that I upgraded using GUC.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
See if NYC-AMS-BKK routing is available. DL-marketed, KL operated - route might be dead. If fare is available, then you need Z-class space for GUC upgrade. Z must be open on both legs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.