Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Name Change on ticket after first part of trip completed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry

Aloha FT'ers!

Here's a new one for me and hoping to get some info on other folks that might have had a similiar situation...

I bought a ticket for Mrs Hepsaint a month ago under her maiden name on the Delta website due to the fact that she had to return to her home country to renew her passport and officially change it to her new married name. Shes flying solo on a Delta code share on KLM all the way home. In the meantime, i have already switched over her Skymiles account to her new name which is currently updated.

She is now in the homeland and preparing to return in a few days with her old expired passport and her new current passport bearing her new married name. She's got a few other documents (marriage certificate) and other valid US state and federal IDs to show the name change.

I've called the Delta Platinum line and was advised that since she has already completed part of her travel they cannot re-issue the ticket and she will have to present the old passport and new passport at the KLM counter when she checks in at the airport. I did a HUCA the following day and pretty much got the same response. The second phone rep advised she would leave a comment in the record locator number for her ticket and that the KLM rep at the airport will probably telephonically contact Delta on an inside-line to verify the name change.

With all of the paperwork and ID's already readily at hand, should i anticipate any other hiccups that might occur or have any other folks been in this same situation and had a different result?

Thanks in advance for any and all insight!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where is she originating on the way home?

Absent something peculiar as to the origin country, this should all be a non-issue and the less anybody fools around with her ticket the better. When she checks in, she should simply present her old passport which presumably matches her ticket and her new passport as well.

Depending on her nationality, she may need a new visa or ESTA as the case may be.

For the benefit of others, do not make changes to FFP accounts until there is a time period when the individual is not on an active ticket.
trooper, krazykanuck and Hepsaint like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
Where is she originating on the way home?

Absent something peculiar as to the origin country, this should all be a non-issue and the less anybody fools around with her ticket the better. When she checks in, she should simply present her old passport which presumably matches her ticket and her new passport as well.

Depending on her nationality, she may need a new visa or ESTA as the case may be.

For the benefit of others, do not make changes to FFP accounts until there is a time period when the individual is not on an active ticket.
Thank you sir for the response!

She is flying out of Arlanda (Stockholm) and ESTA/Visa not an issue as she is travelling with her valid US resident card.

However, out of an abundance of caution, she did go today ( 2 days before flight) to inquire about updating the change. The KLM folks were less than helpful and insisted she call Delta to make the change which we already did and advised them that Delta advised to contact KLM desk personnel. Long story short, KLM desk personnel made a notation on her record locator and a subsequent call back to Delta Platinum line resulted in the ticket being reissued and new record locator number being generated. They actually suggested at one point her purchasing another ticket home because they could do nothing more for her at Arlanda. This was a non-starter so a request for a supervisor and insistence that the name change be documented on their end saved the day.

Big kudos to Mrs Hepsaint who smelled trouble and took initiative to go to the airport ahead of the scheduled departure because the process took over an hour and a half between the folks at the KLM desk at Arlanda and phone calls to both KLM and Delta help desks.

Thankfully name changes will no longer be an issue, but i certainly avoid and changes to my FFP while any active travel is in play.

For folks that might find themselves in this situation in the future, insist that the departure airport requiring the name change due to new passport, Identity card, etc place a notation in the record locator file so that the code share partner or originating airline can see that a request was made to change the name and that it has been verified at the airport desk. This will expedite the reissue of the ticket and mitigate any last minute delays while checking in day of travel.

thank you again for your insight,

Safe Travels everyone...
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:05 am

In my opinion you jumped the gun and muddied the waters, so to speak. Most folks just would maintain the original reservation and present documents with the maiden name, without mentioning a marriage had taken place. Many women do keep their maiden names, after all.
Often1, Hepsaint and FlyingNone like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Moyerclan
In my opinion you jumped the gun and muddied the waters, so to speak. Most folks just would maintain the original reservation and present documents with the maiden name, without mentioning a marriage had taken place. Many women do keep their maiden names, after all.
I agree. In these situations it is usually better to do nothing, as there is almost certainly someone somewhere who will mess things up with the best intentions.
Often1, Hepsaint and FlyingNone like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While I am happy for OP's relative, I disagree with the actions taken and the advice given.

One is not in a position to "insist" on anything and it is just as likely that an agent at either carrier makes PNR notes flagging a problem as correcting it. In addition, every time multiple carriers access the record, there is a risk of things being gummed up.

Marriage is common in Sweden and the US and for both KL and DL passengers. Name changes occur and so long as one has the proper documentation to demonstrate that one is the passenger, this simply is a non-issue in both of these countries and carriers.

In the places where this is an issue, e.g. LCC's in Asia, there is nothing to be done. Thus, also not worth flagging the problem.

My advice in this situation would have been to turn up and allow perhaps 10-15 additional minutes in case questioned, to have all of the relevant documents available but not proffered unless asked, and the easy and true explanation handy.
Hepsaint and FlyingNone like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.