Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question about seats without a seat in front of them

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I am hoping a more experienced traveler can provide input. Next spring I will be flying Delta from ATL to HND. The plane is a 777 (seatguru. com/airlines/Delta_Airlines/Delta_Airlines_Boeing_777-200ER_V3.php) and currently I've been assigned seat 31G which according to Seat Guru seems to be a good seat for the extra legroom as there is no seat in front of it. I'm a newb traveler and haven't experienced this before so what exactly does that mean for my personal item? I understand it has to be stored in the overhead bin during takeoff/landing. What about during the flight? Is it possible to have it out in front of me (sorry if that is a stupid question!)? Also, how comfortable is viewing the entertainment screen? I understand it is in the arm rest. I've read some people find this uncomfortable as your looking down instead of straight ahead? I guess I'm just trying to decide if I should keep this seat or move to a different one. Thanks for any input!
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I don't personally like the IFE in the armrest because you have to stow it during takeoff and landing. while everyone else can keep watching their movies, you have to stop. on such a long flight this is probably less of an issue. the angle is also annoying but not so much that it should be a factor.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gripping the armrests the whole way
Hello all,

I am hoping a more experienced traveler can provide input. Next spring I will be flying Delta from ATL to HND. The plane is a 777 (seatguru. com/airlines/Delta_Airlines/Delta_Airlines_Boeing_777-200ER_V3.php) and currently I've been assigned seat 31G which according to Seat Guru seems to be a good seat for the extra legroom as there is no seat in front of it. I'm a newb traveler and haven't experienced this before so what exactly does that mean for my personal item? I understand it has to be stored in the overhead bin during takeoff/landing. What about during the flight? Is it possible to have it out in front of me (sorry if that is a stupid question!)? Also, how comfortable is viewing the entertainment screen? I understand it is in the arm rest. I've read some people find this uncomfortable as your looking down instead of straight ahead? I guess I'm just trying to decide if I should keep this seat or move to a different one. Thanks for any input!
Yes you can have your carry on during flight. YMMV for screen comfort . But it’s better than what angle you would get from a fully reclined seat.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
31G is a standard C+ seat with extra legroom. It's not a true bulkhead: there's a row in front, but no seat in front. Seatguru highlights this one as being particularly good.
If it were me, I'd be happy with it. You'll probably have to put your personal item up for takeoff and landing, but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
This seat, with similar ones on many planes, is a mixed bag of delight.

On the one hand, you have hardened seat sides, not just an armrest between you and seatmate.
IFE is in armrest, that cannot be out for takeoff and landing - losing some movie time
No stowage under (non existent seat in front of you) for getting personal items during takeoff/landing

On the other hand, IFE in seat brings it closer, albeit lower to you, for watching movies
Getting a bag after reaching altitude and having it in your space is no problem (put away at landing)

But best of all, you get the combo window seat AND aisle seat as you can just walk in front of your seat around the other two in front of your seatmates without disturbing anybody.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
31 G is not a window. It is probably the 3rd best seat in coach after the 2 seats together in row 30. It is an aisle but the people next to you can get out without you standing up due to the absence of seat in front of you. There is no bathroom here so people don't congregate like the bulkhead seats in the first row of the back cabin. There is a seat on the 757 that is a window without a window seat in the next row..
Old Nov 28, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta, United
That is a great seat keep it. You store your personal item under the seat in front of you. It just happens to be a wee bit further than normal. Watch that the person in the middle seat in front does not decide to store their stuff there (there are stories of pissing matches over that).

Now with all leg room, once the flight is in the air I take my carryon out of the overhead compartment, put it where the seat would normally be, and put my feet on it. That creates a mini lounge chair. Makes for a much more comfortable flight. As for the IFE, whatever ... regardless the screens suck. But with it in the arm you can adjust it more.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BHammy
This seat, with similar ones on many planes, is a mixed bag of delight.

On the one hand, you have hardened seat sides, not just an armrest between you and seatmate.
IFE is in armrest, that cannot be out for takeoff and landing - losing some movie time
No stowage under (non existent seat in front of you) for getting personal items during takeoff/landing
The hard seat sides can be an issue if you're a bit larger. I'm about 165 (male) and sometimes it seems like I barely fit in those seats.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAFly
The hard seat sides can be an issue if you're a bit larger. I'm about 165 (male) and sometimes it seems like I barely fit in those seats.
I would think on a DL 777 that’s only 9-abreast in coach it shouldn’t be a problem for most. On Airbus narrowbodies it’s usually okay too, but can be problematic on a 737 or CRJ.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I'm pretty heavy and I always fit fine in the hard-sided seats. I prefer them in fact as a big person because then I know I'm not inadvertently taking any of my neighbor's seat.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
I'm pretty heavy and I always fit fine in the hard-sided seats. I prefer them in fact as a big person because then I know I'm not inadvertently taking any of my neighbor's seat.
A friend has a ~40" waist (big but not enormous) and has sometimes struggled to fit his thighs in between the fixed armrests. Like I mentioned, I do think it's very dependent upon the equipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.