Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Winter storm warning for MSP Nov 25/26 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for Minneapolis, from this afternoon to tomorrow morning.

5 to 8 inches of snow is forecasted to fall, starting late this afternoon, continuing through the night, and tapering off mid morning tomorrow.

Delta has already issued a weather waiver, allowing passengers to re schedule or reroute flights because of the storm.

MSP rarely shuts down because of winter storms, because the airport is so experienced at handling snow - there's a reason the movie Airport was filmed there. However, flights will still be cancelled or severely delayed due to snow clearance, or because crews can't get to the airport in time due to slippery roads. If you're changing planes at MSP from this afternoon onward, you might want to call DL, to see if they can re route you through another hub less likely to be affected by the storm.

In related news, Joe Patroni's Buick Wildcat was sighted in front of a local tobacco store this morning, where he was seen stocking up on cigars in anticipation of the snow desk calling him once the storm hits.
puck021 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:30 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Here is Delta's waiver for those interested. Covers travel scheduled 11/27, re-book by 11/29 travel to begin no later than 11/29.
https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisori...apolis-weather
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:25 am

I am headed to MSP today, hope there will still be some 4 wheel drive vehicles available when I get there.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I'm on an 8:40p flight out to St. Louis today. That's right when the heavy snow (which I've seen predicted at more like 7-12") is supposed to start. Fingers crossed for an on-time departure.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yikes, going to make a mess with Thanksgiving travel. Probably not a lot of options for rebooking due to high loads.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
SLC also getting snow and under a winter storm warning, but apparently not as disruptive as MSP.
DEN is experiencing delays today due to snow. ORD is expecting strong winds tomorrow.
Not a good holiday week to connect in the middle of the country.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
However, flights will still be cancelled or severely delayed due to snow clearance, or because crews can't get to the airport in time due to slippery roads. If you're changing planes at MSP from this afternoon onward, you might want to call DL, to see if they can re route you through another hub less likely to be affected by the storm.
Does DL purchase hotel space or otherwise for essential staff during weather events like this? Given how busy the Thanksgiving travel season is, I doubt there's enough slack in the system to rebook a substantial people around MSP and SLC. I'm sure it's expensive, but I imagine there's plenty of hotel space immediately nearby that could be used.

Happy to be doing SEA-SAN and skipping the middle of the country this Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:07 pm

manacit likes this.

Last edited by pdxkat; Nov 26, 2019 at 1:07 pm Reason: LOL nm misunderstood the question
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by manacit
Does DL purchase hotel space or otherwise for essential staff during weather events like this? Given how busy the Thanksgiving travel season is, I doubt there's enough slack in the system to rebook a substantial people around MSP and SLC. I'm sure it's expensive, but I imagine there's plenty of hotel space immediately nearby that could be used.

Happy to be doing SEA-SAN and skipping the middle of the country this Thanksgiving.
I think DL has done this for some really bad events, but 6 inches of Snow in MSP will be back up and running near 100% as soon as it stops snowing. Now a heavy dusting in ATL and the state of Georgia is shutdown for a week...that's when DL buys a ton of rooms for people!
manacit likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any signs of cots, blankets, and pillows being brought out at the airport yet? I guess it's still too early for travelers to give up and admit that they will be spending the night.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
MSP is target central for the heaviest amounts of snow from this storm.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
I think DL has done this for some really bad events, but 6 inches of Snow in MSP will be back up and running near 100% as soon as it stops snowing. Now a heavy dusting in ATL and the state of Georgia is shutdown for a week...that's when DL buys a ton of rooms for people!
No need for a heavy dusting in ATL. Any slight dusting and a tiny bit of ice would suffice.
hhdl, kop84 and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Still no snow, but wow was traffic bad. Getting 5 miles from my house in South Minneapolis to the terminal took an hour. Usually 15-20 minutes.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Not what I want to hear, I will be driving from eastern Wisconsin to South Minneapolis Thursday morning. Spending Thanksgiving with my mother then flying out of MSP Saturday morning. Any way to tell where my plane is inbound from? Really hoping it is the first flight of the day but with an 0900 departure, not counting on it.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Not what I want to hear, I will be driving from eastern Wisconsin to South Minneapolis Thursday morning. Spending Thanksgiving with my mother then flying out of MSP Saturday morning. Any way to tell where my plane is inbound from? Really hoping it is the first flight of the day but with an 0900 departure, not counting on it.
As it gets a bit closer you can check flightradar24.com and flightaware.com and search for your flight and its inbound. But keep in mind it's very much subject to change for operational reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.