FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   D1 767-40 vs. Air Canada 789 Business to LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1996901-d1-767-40-vs-air-canada-789-business-lhr.html)

Danski Nov 25, 2019 9:22 am

D1 767-400 vs. Air Canada 789 Business to LHR

I figured this would be the most logical form for this question - mods, please move if there is a better spot for this.

We're using miles to get to LHR next year in business. Right now, I can grab availability from YYZ to LHR on an Air Canada 787, or from PDX-LHR on a DL 767-400. I've read through reviews on both cabins - there are a ton of negative reviews on the 767-400 D1 product, while the AC 787 gets mixed (but slightly more positive) reviews. I've learned to trust the experience here on FT - for those of you who have flown both products, which would you choose (and why)?

Thanks!!

Danski

bubbashow Nov 25, 2019 9:39 am

From what airport are you departing? If it is ONT/LAX/SNA area per your profile, are your positioning flights also in Business? If so, AC offers a 787 with lie flats to YYZ.

If it is just economy on the first flight and you are coming from So. Cal, i would stick with the PDX connection. Get row 1 (although I think the refurbished 764s all have the bigger footwells)

Danski Nov 25, 2019 9:43 am

We would be positioning from LAX/SNA/ONT. Right now there is no availability to YYZ, so that is likely a (paid) flight in Y to get to YYZ. Obviously getting to PDX is much faster, and would give us the much longer segment in D1. I guess what I'm asking - it D1 *that* bad (as one reads in the reviews) that you think AC is better?

underattack Nov 25, 2019 9:46 am

The main issue with D1 on a 767-400 is that the cabin is very dated. Delta is redoing the 767-400's, but they just started the process. There is a thread dedicated to the 767-400 updates, but I think right now only 1 or 2 planes have been completed.

jamiestr Nov 25, 2019 10:05 am

When are you traveling? Delta has a plan to get the majority of these 764 renovated this winter.

ajeleonard Nov 25, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jamiestr (Post 31775093)
When are you traveling? Delta has a plan to get the majority of these 764 renovated this winter.

The renovations to the 764 barely improve the hard product

jrl767 Nov 25, 2019 10:12 am

Originally Posted by underattack (Post 31775013)
The main issue with D1 on a 767-400 is that the cabin is very dated. Delta is redoing the 767-400's, but they just started the process. There is a thread dedicated to the 767-400 updates, but I think right now only 1 or 2 planes have been completed.

Originally Posted by jamiestr (Post 31775093)

OP is flying next year ... DL has 21 764s (here's the 764 Interior Mods Status thread); looks like the fourth modified jet will be in service in the next few days

DL also has a propensity for numerous schedule changes; if DL changes departure/arrival/connection times by more than 60 (90?) minutes, and offers unattractive or unworkable options, OP will be able to request a different flight (perhaps even LAX-LHR nonstop)

pgh234 Nov 25, 2019 10:22 am

I would take the 764 from PDX due to not having 5 hours in Y...but I am probably not as silver spooned as some (i.e not jaded towards the D1 product on 764s)

Nuhusky Nov 25, 2019 10:51 am

I love air Canada’s biz class seat. They come pre installed with a seat pad making the seat one of the more comfortable in the sky imo

service is great but there is one annoying law ac enforces. No over the ear head phones for taxi, take off or landings. It kind of makes sense but I like to have my headphones on from point to point

its also a 787 which is far better than the 767

Danski Nov 25, 2019 10:58 am

I appreciate all of the replies. We're traveling next summer - I'm not very silver spooned, I travel a ton domestically and know the grind. This a first family vacation to Europe, so I suppose I'm trying to get my family the "best" experience (which is, admittedly, subjective). If the hard product is that much worse on the 767 vs. the AC 787, then that might tip me over to AC, although the schedule change possibility is intriguing (knowing that it isn't a certainty).

ijgordon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am

What are your height, weight and shoulder measurements? Seriously, that’ll be a big determinant of whether or not you find the seats comfortable.

bubbashow Nov 25, 2019 11:10 am

I don't think the 764 comfort-wise is bad enough to sacrifice 1/3 of your trip in economy. The service is fine, the comfort is ok. There is a chance you will be on a refurbished bird.

Austin787 Nov 25, 2019 11:16 am

I'd go with the PDX-LHR flight:
* Shorter positioning flight in Y
* Flying to PDX will probably be cheaper than to YYZ
* Longer flight in J, so more time to enjoy the product
* No need to deal with immigration in PDX. In YYZ, you may need to clear Canada immigration and customs especially if you will check bags.

I don't consider the DL 767 J seat to be significantly worse than AC 787 J, especially given the advantages above.

sydneyracquelle Nov 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Stick with DL and fly right from PDX. I assume you would rather have status with DL/ST than AC/SA.

wrp96 Nov 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Nuhusky (Post 31775269)
I love air Canada’s biz class seat. They come pre installed with a seat pad making the seat one of the more comfortable in the sky imo

That's if it's inflated. If it's not inflated, a seat in economy would be more comfortable. There's an ongoing thread about this issue on the AC board.