Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One Suite with a connection or UA Polaris nonstop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

I have a choice to make for an upcoming flight to Tokyo....

I can take Delta One Suite on the A350 from Detroit (connecting in from east coast) OR take a United 777 in Polaris Business in a bulkhead window nonstop.

I’ve been in UA many times and know what to expect. Just wondering if the A350 is worth it? Have a window seat on the A350 (odd numbered row, closer to the window).

appreciate any guidance....
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ordflyboy

I can take Delta One Suite on the A350 from Detroit (connecting in from east coast) OR take a United 777 in Polaris Business in a bulkhead window nonstop.

I’ve been in UA many times and know what to expect. Just wondering if the A350 is worth it? Have a window seat on the A350 (odd numbered row, closer to the window).

The D1 seat on the A350 is pretty nice and beats UA Polaris IMO, but is it worth a connection? Eh probably not.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the FF credit matters to you, I'd pick on that basis. Otherwise, look at schedule convenience and cost.

DTW is a good airport for connections, especially if you have lounge access (there are showers in the center SkyClub), but I don't know how bad your home airport is for immigration and customs.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... DTW is a good airport for connections, especially if you have lounge access (there are showers in the center SkyClub), but I don't know how bad your home airport is for immigration and customs.

**TOTALLY** irrelevant; OP is asking about US—>NRT
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767

**TOTALLY** irrelevant; OP is asking about US—>NRT
Only if we assume that the OP is never coming home from Japan. I thought about the rather obvious suggestion of taking DL in one direction and UA in the other, but then realized that this would probably make the ticket extremely expensive. Of course, it's possible that the OP is planning to spend the remainder of his/her life in the Tokyo area or that he/she is planning to return using the trans Siberian "express" train, but I suspect that a TPAC flight back from Tokyo is more likely.

.......and speaking of assumptions, you're assuming that the OP is going to NRT rather than HND. That's true for the DTW nonstops at the moment, but depending on when the OP is traveling, it could be HND instead.
757FO likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Only if we assume that the OP is never coming home from Japan. I thought about the rather obvious suggestion of taking DL in one direction and UA in the other, but then realized that this would probably make the ticket extremely expensive. Of course, it's possible that the OP is planning to spend the remainder of his/her life in the Tokyo area or that he/she is planning to return using the trans Siberian "express" train, but I suspect that a TPAC flight back from Tokyo is more likely.

.......and speaking of assumptions, you're assuming that the OP is going to NRT rather than HND. That's true for the DTW nonstops at the moment, but depending on when the OP is traveling, it could be HND instead.
UA flies a 787 on their sole HND flight at the moment, so by default, the itinerary must be to NRT.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
UA flies a 787 on their sole HND flight at the moment, so by default, the itinerary must be to NRT.
Or the OP doesn't care whether it's NRT or HND as long as it's TYO, or perhaps the OP isn't very aware of the distinction and associated advantages/disadvantages of each.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
If flying from EWR, would say Polaris lounge is better than the DL SC at DTW if that matters
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: DL PM
I would take a Polaris lounge at EWR (assuming that’s the origination) with no connection over DL through DTW and it’s SC. Unless the ff miles matter, the DL 350 suite is nice, definitely nicer than DL’s older D1 seats, but it’s not amazing.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:03 am

OP says "somewhere on the east coast." Are there airports other than EWR that would have UA nonstop Polaris service to Tokyo (not necessarily NRT and with or without a Polaris lounge)?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
OP says "somewhere on the east coast." Are there airports other than EWR that would have UA nonstop Polaris service to Tokyo (not necessarily NRT and with or without a Polaris lounge)?
IAD
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would always select a nonstop over a connection. It is more convenient, time is money, and there is less to go wrong, especially with winter weather at IAD/EWR and DTW as well.

Depending on whether you are flying out of EWR or IAD on UA, you will have access to the Polaris Lounge, while DL does not have a premium lounge anywhere and thus it's the SC.
gfunkdave, tvnwz and TheHorta like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by ordflyboy

Given the time of year and location I would take the nonstop period.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I would take the A350 over the 777. If nothing else just because it is the latest and greatest.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:16 am

Assuming neither is needed to achieve the next tier in MP or SM programs, I'd go for convenience. Keeping in mind the relative locations of NRT v HND may negate some/most of the connection times. I after weighing all the factors it is a a wash, I'd choose the DL flight since I think it would increase the chance of good service. Assuming there is a return flight that would also require a connection, even though it might be a short flight I would view that as a larger negative than the outbound connection. Considerations for me include: departure time, lounge at departure airport, connection time, aircraft, soft product, hard product, FFP issues, on time percentages for the flights, overall travel time, arrival airport ease of ground transportation from arrival airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.