Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Very disappointed with Delta rewards program

Very disappointed with Delta rewards program

Old Nov 22, 19, 6:21 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Originally Posted by Nomoredelta View Post
I think the point is, for me, no loyalty earned none given. Iíll be open to any carrier for a specific flight.

At the end of the day, that is the best strategy to follow.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: delta, American, United, southwest
Minimal Value...

I am Diamond and will be next year. But fly almost exclusively US and Canada and find that since I don't like the uncertainty of not getting an upgrade I always purchase 1st class tickets, being diamond has very little value except:

1. Faster accumulation of miles which I am pretty good about using
2. While an unofficial perk, I have not been charged a change fee this year... maybe 3 times I needed to make a change.
3. The coolness of it.

I flew a couple of United flights because the price/schedule was way better but the program itself is not particularly endearing. Hate American so would not go there, and I hear about as many people hate United so not thrilled about going that direction. If Southwest added first class I would be all over that.
Old Nov 22, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
At the end of the day, that is the best strategy to follow.
Best advice I have seen in quote some time. I fly DL for the reliability first.
Old Nov 22, 19, 8:43 am

Programs: delta, American, United, southwest
I fly them because they suck less than the other two big airlines... that is sort of unfair. Mostly I am pretty happy with them except that the mileage program is not so great, although in fairness I did manage to accumulate several hundred thousand miles as well as spend several hundred thousand miles.
Old Nov 22, 19, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM
It wasnít so much a discount was expected, rather I was hoping not to be gouged when the plane is undersold. The one way upgrade quote was very close to the cost of of round trip D1 R/T price when I booked. Iíve been a priority flyer on one carrier or another for 30 years, and it has been my last few with Delta when the value of my loyalty program has diminished to essentially nothing. In an hour Iíll be boarding the plane and some poor flight attendant will come back to thank me for my loyalty...... I will endeavor not to laugh in their face.

Delta is protecting the value of the Delta One cabin. It is part of the reason Delta has a higher PRASM than AA or UA. If you want J, buy J. Being a Diamond doesn't entitle us to discounts. Sometimes GUCs work, sometimes they don't. Sometimes you will get a cheap buy up to D1, sometimes you won't. If you want to be assured of a position up front, Delta wants YOU and EVERYBODY else to pay. It has nothing to do with loyalty. It is their business plan that has been in effect for several years now. As a Diamond, you should know it.
Old Nov 22, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM 2.7MM, UA 1k (will end 1/21), HH LTD, Marriott LTTE
It wasnít so much a discount was expected, rather I was hoping not to be gouged when the plane is undersold. The one way upgrade quote was very close to the cost of of round trip D1 R/T price when I booked. Iíve been a priority flyer on one carrier or another for 30 years, and it has been my last few with Delta when the value of my loyalty program has diminished to essentially nothing. In an hour Iíll be boarding the plane and some poor flight attendant will come back to thank me for my loyalty...... I will endeavor not to laugh in their face.
I guess I look at it both ways - DL does a better job IMO protecting D1 which gives GUC's a good chance of clearing. As a UA 1K, I have GPU's go unused and die. If they don't clear at booking on UA good luck, UA does insane OLCI offers and will sell J for pittance. RPU's are worse as a 1K. I do think UA GS >>> DL DM but if you spend that much I doubt you are buying Y anyways.

The one thing I do wish DL would do is adopt the mileage upgrade/co-pay option. I think UA is like 30k miles +$600 OW for TPAC. Seems like a nice balance to allow upgrades without big $.
Old Nov 22, 19, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by conference junkie View Post
I am Diamond and will be next year. But fly almost exclusively US and Canada and find that since I don't like the uncertainty of not getting an upgrade I always purchase 1st class tickets, being diamond has very little value except:

1. Faster accumulation of miles which I am pretty good about using
2. While an unofficial perk, I have not been charged a change fee this year... maybe 3 times I needed to make a change.
3. The coolness of it.

I flew a couple of United flights because the price/schedule was way better but the program itself is not particularly endearing. Hate American so would not go there, and I hear about as many people hate United so not thrilled about going that direction. If Southwest added first class I would be all over that.
I find other useful perks of a PM/DM:
- A much quicker phone line to get through (and usually which also usually has better service than the standard line). This is crucial in IROPS especially if the website is being wonky or not giving you options you want or if you just want/need to make other changes that simply can't be done online and getting through in a matter of a few minutes is a huge time saver.
- Award waiver redeposit. Granted this is one I wouldn't pay for if I didn't have but this flexibility is amazing. I booked an award flight a couple weeks ago for next summer and have changed it at least 3 times just in a couple weeks as better options opened up. Again I wouldn't do it if I didn't have the award redeposit but 3 times x 2 people x $150 = $900. Again, I wouldn't pay it if I did have to pay it but this flexibility is quite awesome.
- SDC waiver (this would also be true if you were a GM but even if in F as non-status, you don't get SDC/SDS fees waived)
- Higher priority on the standby list in IROPS. Granted having paid F should put you pretty high up but status helps bump you up even further up the list
- Choice benefits which can have a straight cash redemption value, even if you don't go for the Upgrade Certs or Medallion status gifting
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Nov 22, 19 at 11:10 am Reason: Fix Typos
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:22 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Good luck with UA. This 1K and many others are leaving because UA have just decided to decimate their loyalty program. Your policy of using whichever carrier can give you the best price is now the one to go for.
rileydogmi and LC757 like this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Singleflyer View Post
Best advice I have seen in quote some time. I fly DL for the reliability first.
I can't disagree too much since this is what I do, but sometimes I wonder if some people on here actually know what it is like to fly as a no status economy traveler.
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:29 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
Good luck with UA. This 1K and many others are leaving because UA have just decided to decimate their loyalty program. Your policy of using whichever carrier can give you the best price is now the one to go for.
I hate to tell you this, but I have a feeling what you call decimating their loyalty program is going to be industry standard in a few years.
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
The lounges at HND (TIAT) are third-party lounges and are not operated by Delta or any of it's Skyteam partners. It is only available for passengers in Delta One. Delta will be opening a Sky Club at HND next year.
Yes, but this is worth calling out. Delta is an outlier in regards to this policy.

It wasnít so much a discount was expected, rather I was hoping not to be gouged when the plane is undersold.
please elaborate, this is a bit too nuanced for me to understand

I think you missed my point. I know exactly how the upgrade certificates work...... and it sucks.
it sucks... compared to _____?

Last edited by ryandc99; Nov 22, 19 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
I can't disagree too much since this is what I do, but sometimes I wonder if some people on here actually know what it is like to fly as a no status economy traveler.
I've posted this several times but yep - flying as a non-status traveler blows. I'm reminded of this every time I island hop in Hawaii on HA. And based on where I live now and with the GSA contracts being more split, I now often end up on another airline for work travel. Even with some of the additional military perks the airlines extend, traveling without status simply sucks. Despite the knocks it gets from those with higher status, even getting low-level status such as Silver Medallion is enough to take flying from miserable to bearable and even just getting an airline branded CC doesn't cover all the perks that even the lowest status levels come with.
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I get that Delta is trying to protect the D1 "brand" I guess (not sure how good of a brand it is.. when I think D1, I think of the cramped 767 cabins since that is what I see most frequently), but I do feel like the lack of usable mileage upgrade instruments is annoying.

If the D1 cabin is wide-open, I don't think it would be unreasonable to offer DoD upgrades at a reasonable mileage redemption. Limit it to people with status - with a discount for higher status. Something on the order of 100K for FO, 90K for GM, 80K for PM, and 70K for DM or something like that.

That said, I realize most airlines have killed any semblance of mileage upgrades (those that allow it typically require Y or B fares) so this isn't unique to Delta.

The HND lounge complaint is valid in my opinion. Just seems cheap, especially for a DM with a Skyclub membership.
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
No american carrier offers free upgrades to J, you have to use a certificate (unless it's an oversold and you're lucky enough to get an Op up).

If there were seats available why didn't you apply a GUC? That's a long flight and a good use of a GUC.

I agree that the RUC's and GUC's are hard to use and wish Delta would allow them to be used as long as the cabin is less than half sold.

Even if there were seats showing a few days out, it's possible there were some people on GUC's waitlisted that hadn't cleared yet. I'd rather Delta give those seats to diamonds using a GUC than to sell them really cheap.

Agree totally about lounge access. As profitable of a route as that is for DL they should provide partner lounge access to diamonds in Y.
Old Nov 22, 19, 9:58 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
Sounds like OP is mostly buying international Y. I'd stick with a carrier where I could earn status for perks like preferred seating, lounge access (granted HND is a sad exception on DL), occasional op-ups, priority security, etc.

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck View Post
I think many have forgotten. I have relatively low status on AA and DL but recently had to book a flight on UA. I did not enjoy it.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
I've posted this several times but yep - flying as a non-status traveler blows. I'm reminded of this every time I island hop in Hawaii on HA. And based on where I live now and with the GSA contracts being more split, I now often end up on another airline for work travel. Even with some of the additional military perks the airlines extend, traveling without status simply sucks. Despite the knocks it gets from those with higher status, even getting low-level status such as Silver Medallion is enough to take flying from miserable to bearable and even just getting an airline branded CC doesn't cover all the perks that even the lowest status levels come with.
Absolutely. Preferred seats and better IROPS handling are enough to make it worthwhile.
ATOBTTR likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: