Trying to get bumped compensation

Old Nov 21, 19, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DLSILVER; HH GOLD
Trying to get bumped compensation

I have not done this yet, and i am looking for input on possible pit falls. Or if anyone else has successfully pulled this off. I sit about 1.5 Hrs from MSP airport and about 45 Min from a regional airport BRD. I usually price both when i travel , as, if BRD is within 60 bucks , i figure for the no charge parking ,and less miles traveled , it is worth the cost. I have a couple of trips booked where I am flying out of MSP late in the AM. What I am thinking of doing, is purposefully watching and waiting for a full flight out of BRD to MSP on my departure day, book a ticket within 24 hours, go up to BRD and offer to get bumped and compensated.( as I see it a lot in the AM flights out of BRD )Then drive down to MSP and take my normal flight anyways. If I don't get bumped, I take the flight down to MSP. And I can always cancel my flight before the 24 hour, and get my refund

I know what your thinking, what about the car? , well if works, there are executive shuttles running between MSP, and BRD, for 60-70 bucks.

Anyone else tried this successfully , or am I missing something.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
You can try it. But bump opportunities are so hard to predict - one weather impact and a full flight can turn empty or vice versa.

No one here will be able to predict anything else. All you have to lose is your time, and itís your call what thatís worth.
Old Nov 21, 19, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
If the loads are high enough to possibly need bumps within 24hrs, the last minute ticket from BRD-MSP is probably an expensive Y fare or sold out.

Collecting a VDB credit and then cancelling the ticket sounds like fraud to me.
Old Nov 21, 19, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
do this too often and DL are likely to pick up on this and simply refuse your offers to VDB and also not to IDB you either.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM; Marriott Plat
In my history of looking for bumps, I doubt flights are oversold until they are selling full Y fares, usually even B means not oversold. So as Gig mentioned, to do this you would be buying high cost fares, if they are still selling tickets. Plus, even oversold flights often have no-shows and they don't need anyone. For short flights from outstations the initial offers are usually in the $200-$300 range. So you can balance the time involved, the high cost ticket, the probability of needing volunteers, whether you would be chosen if needed (someone else may have taken an OLC offer or kiosk offer before you arrive) and what the compensation would be. Note that the GA may not accept you driving to MSP and skipping the first flight and change the rest of your flights to accommodate the rebooked BRD departure. In that case even cancelling the BRD flight for a refund will not recover you original itinerary. Overall, it does not sound like a winning combination.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paplover View Post
In my history of looking for bumps, I doubt flights are oversold until they are selling full Y fares, usually even B means not oversold. So as Gig mentioned, to do this you would be buying high cost fares, if they are still selling tickets. Plus, even oversold flights often have no-shows and they don't need anyone. For short flights from outstations the initial offers are usually in the $200-$300 range. So you can balance the time involved, the high cost ticket, the probability of needing volunteers, whether you would be chosen if needed (someone else may have taken an OLC offer or kiosk offer before you arrive) and what the compensation would be. Note that the GA may not accept you driving to MSP and skipping the first flight and change the rest of your flights to accommodate the rebooked BRD departure. In that case even cancelling the BRD flight for a refund will not recover you original itinerary. Overall, it does not sound like a winning combination.
These would be separate tickets. OP is talking about buying BRD-MSP day before, volunteering, and if needed then driving to MSP for his MSP-wherever ticket.

OP, I don't believe DL will refund the BRD-MSP ticket if you were issued VDB compensation. (Or will void it if you ask for a refund)
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
These would be separate tickets. OP is talking about buying BRD-MSP day before, volunteering, and if needed then driving to MSP for his MSP-wherever ticket.

OP, I don't believe DL will refund the BRD-MSP ticket if you were issued VDB compensation. (Or will void it if you ask for a refund)
I agree that if not VDB'd he is good but given the VBD odds he will likely lose money overall playing VDB roulette. In the unlikely event he is VDB'd, there could be issues. The GA will likely see the later flights and rebook those to match the newly rebooked BRD flight. Getting the GA to agree to cancel the original flight and not rebook the connecting flights may be an issue. Given the odds of getting VDB'd and the usually low compensation, it would not be worth my time pursuing this. And if VDB'd and not successfully getting a refund on the ticket, the ticket cost could be comparable to or more than the compensation. And even if successfully refunded, still not worth the effort IMHO given the odds of getting a VDB.
Old Nov 21, 19, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paplover View Post
I agree that if not VDB'd he is good but given the VBD odds he will likely lose money overall playing VDB roulette. In the unlikely event he is VDB'd, there could be issues. The GA will likely see the later flights and rebook those to match the newly rebooked BRD flight. Getting the GA to agree to cancel the original flight and not rebook the connecting flights may be an issue. Given the odds of getting VDB'd and the usually low compensation, it would not be worth my time pursuing this. And if VDB'd and not successfully getting a refund on the ticket, the ticket cost could be comparable to or more than the compensation. And even if successfully refunded, still not worth the effort IMHO given the odds of getting a VDB.
You're missing understanding. There will be no connecting flights to rebook. The ticket would be only for BRD-MSP (flying instead of driving to MSP for his ticket ex-MSP).
Old Nov 21, 19, 4:15 pm

I found a Y fare from BRD-MSP for $407, which is what they would be selling if the flight is oversold. With all the variables that come into play, OP is more likely to lose money than make money and there is a lot of hassle involved. If OP wants to play the game, OP should just book from BRD from the get go, and then offer to drive to MSP for an alternative flight if the flight is oversold.
Old Nov 21, 19, 4:20 pm

So, if he had his MSP-XXX itinerary and at the last minute a snowstorm made him decide to book BRD-MSP to avoid driving to MSP in the snowstorm and got a VDB to the afternoon flight, do you think the GA would refuse to rebook the MSP-XXX flight to match the new BRD departure? Or the BRD-MSP flight is delayed enough to miss the connection, won't they rebook MSP-XXX even though they are separate tickets? This is like where you have two tickets, one AAA-MSP and a second MSP-XXX and check your bags from AAA to XXX as your final destination. Often the bag check is done spontaneously by the agent without being asked. Despite being two tickets the agents see both and usually act as if they were a single ticket. In this case I can see the GA proactively rebooking everything to line up and if they do that there could be issues restoring the original MSP-XXX flight.
Old Nov 21, 19, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post

I have taken a bump and cancelled the ticket as my reroute plan.
Old Nov 21, 19, 5:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line here is that the last minute ticket, if not bumped, will make this a very, very expensive ticket and should OP no show for his onwards flight from MSP, that will have been cancelled and he will have to spend a good amount of time with DL to get it reinstated.

Seems not likely to yield anything and may well wind up costing a lot.
Old Nov 21, 19, 5:22 pm

A redcoat told me that many oversold flights outbound from DL hubs are oversold but ultimately go out with empty seats due to no shows from hidden city ticketing.
Old Nov 21, 19, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
And you wonder why carriers have become more aggressive about dealing with HCT fraud.
Old Nov 21, 19, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
A redcoat told me that many oversold flights outbound from DL hubs are oversold but ultimately go out with empty seats due to no shows from hidden city ticketing.
This seems irrelevant, since the OP is talking about a flight into a hub, not out of a hub.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: