Asked to lower shade

Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
ADA compliance, bro. Checkmate.
ADA doesn't apply. Regardless if crew instructs you to close it you must. You can argue once on ground.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by flyerCO
ADA doesn't apply. Regardless if crew instructs you to close it you must. You can argue once on ground.
Really? And you know this how?
Evidence?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
A cautionary note. Be very careful if you're lowering the shade, they jam very easily when lowered improperly.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
nah, just say no and whatever other people think is their problem. Leaving the window up if you're actually using it = win.
That's a lose for everyone. Pax in question, other pax, and FA - all of whom get a real dose of radiation. No wonder why those who care about their health and radiation exposure will never sit by a window on a plane. Of course, just one flight dose is not that much, but frequent fliers on the plane, and the FAs... it's really not subject to selfishly subject them to the extra unnecessary dose of radiation.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Perhaps this recent window war was posted upthread?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B5AVS3d...ource=ig_embed
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:11 pm

The plastic window shade does not protect you from cosmic radiation. The skin of the aircraft does not protect you from cosmic radiation.

Originally Posted by RealHJ
That's a lose for everyone. Pax in question, other pax, and FA - all of whom get a real dose of radiation. No wonder why those who care about their health and radiation exposure will never sit by a window on a plane. Of course, just one flight dose is not that much, but frequent fliers on the plane, and the FAs... it's really not subject to selfishly subject them to the extra unnecessary dose of radiation.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:26 pm

You're ignoring FAA/DOT rules. You are required to comply with all crew instructions. It doesn't matter how trivial the order/instruction is.
Not true. One is required to follow crew member instructions with regard to smoking and seat belt use.

One must not interfere with a crew member performing their duties.

One is not required to follow all crew member instructions.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Originally Posted by zrs70
Perhaps this recent window war was posted upthread?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B5AVS3d...ource=ig_embed
All I can say is "wow!" The guy in the back was technically encroaching on the personal space of the window passenger at the front.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
A cautionary note. Be very careful if you're lowering the shade, they jam very easily when lowered improperly.
Lol. Oops, sorry...
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:42 pm

Will take my chances and report back...

If they tell you (versus asking) and you refuse, all the working it out on the ground will entail is the cops arresting you. Even if you know you're right about something, you do it in the air, then complain on the ground.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by lindros2
Disagree. I can put an eye mask on, sun gone.
I can't remove a seat back 8" from my face as easy.
Book a bulkhead then. Or D1, or another seating option where the seat in front wont impinge on your space. If it is THAT important to you, then it is on you to avoid it.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
Not true. One is required to follow crew member instructions with regard to smoking and seat belt use.

One must not interfere with a crew member performing their duties.

One is not required to follow all crew member instructions.
This is wholly incorrect. The relevant section simply states interfering is enough.

121.580 Prohibition on interference with crewmembers.
No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated under this part.
It in no way limits it (and I've never heard anyone suggesting it does) to simply following instructions for smoking/seat belt use. If you fail to follow a crew members instruction you are interfering, plus if depending on how you refuse, it can be intimidation.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I remember when I was 10 on a TWA flight I was asked to lower the shade. I said no and they moved me up to first class which was empty so the others could enjoy their naps/movie.
I can't imagine this happening these days. Though I would be happy to be proved otherwise.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Lower it if you will (inflight) but I will never understand people who lower or keep lowered those shades on take-off and landing (especially landing). Don't you want to SEE your proximity to the ground as you are descending as well as be "prepared" for that hard-slam dunk (or not) when you actually land ? Good grief, to be moving at hundreds of miles per hour in a metal tube with no perception of this is maddening to me.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
I can't imagine this happening these days. Though I would be happy to be proved otherwise.
I can see it happening in the situation I was in back then. I was 10 flying solo. That's what's sad you gotta be a kid for it to happen and hardly any flights have a completly empty 1st class anymore anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.