Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Travel - KL/DL mix flights - MQM, MQD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I have booked a business class BOS-AMS(KL)-FCO(KL)-AMS(KL)-BOS(DL) via Amex Travel and put my DL medallion number.

Both DL and KL site shows as Delta flight numbers on all KL operated flights.

Looking at Amex travel, I paid $979 + tax $382.

I talked to Delta Agent they basically told me I will get 12790 MQM and 1217 MQD.

Delta.com show all four segments are "Z" fair class.

What are the correct MQM, MQD, RDM?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If every segment is Z class, this should earn 150% MQM, so about 13,000 sounds right.

MQDs should be fare plus carrier fees, and not include government imposed fees and taxes. I suspect that part of what you're calling tax above is a fuel or destination surcharge that should earn MQDs.

RDMs will be a multiple of MQD, five if no DL status.
ilspy likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If every segment is Z class, this should earn 150% MQM, so about 13,000 sounds right.

MQDs should be fare plus carrier fees, and not include government imposed fees and taxes. I suspect that part of what you're calling tax above is a fuel or destination surcharge that should earn MQDs.

RDMs will be a multiple of MQD, five if no DL status.
Thank you for the fast answer! Could you help me with one more thing?

What you mentioned about MQD/MQD matches what Delta CSR said - based fair plus + carrier fee (not including other fees).

KL metal (DL ticketed) potion - BOS-AMS-FCO-AMS - , do I supposed to get 40% MQD and 200% RDM based on flying distance?

I am currently Delta Silver and trying to get to Delta gold for 2020.

Thanks a lot!

Air Transportation Charges

Base Fare:$979.00USD

Carrier-imposed International Surcharge (YR):$237.20USD
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ilspy
Thank you for the fast answer! Could you help me with one more thing?

What you mentioned about MQD/MQD matches what Delta CSR said - based fair plus + carrier fee (not including other fees).

KL metal (DL ticketed) potion - BOS-AMS-FCO-AMS - , do I supposed to get 40% MQD and 200% RDM based on flying distance?

I am currently Delta Silver and trying to get to Delta gold for 2020.

Thanks a lot!

Air Transportation Charges

Base Fare:$979.00USD

Carrier-imposed International Surcharge (YR):$237.20USD
You said that every segment has a DL flight number (codeshare). This means that you earn according to DL's rules for DL flights and not KLM flights.
ilspy likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. Now I see what I should have done when booking via Amex Travel IAP.

I should have put KLM number to be ticketed then modify to credit to Delta at the KLM site for more MQD.

Well I guess I don't have enough MQM for Platinum so doesn't hurt too much.

Lesson learned.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ilspy
Thanks for the clarification. Now I see what I should have done when booking via Amex Travel IAP.

I should have put KLM number to be ticketed then modify to credit to Delta at the KLM site for more MQD.

Well I guess I don't have enough MQM for Platinum so doesn't hurt too much.

Lesson learned.

Thanks again!
To be clear, what you needed to do is book the flight numbers as KL instead of DL codeshare numbers. Putting a KL FB frequent flyer # in the record wouldn't change how it was ticketed. If you're within the free cancellation/change window, rebook it. Note the price may be different, even though you'll be on the same planes.
Duke787 and ilspy like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
That's an incredible Z fare for TATL J on DL. Haven't seen something that low in some time
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

This is not exactly the same case since it is Alitalia metal marketed via DL and KL.

So you meant that I should be choosing Alitalia marketed ticket at the bottom ( assuming same price not $2500 difference) to get more MQD (assuming 40% of distance)?

Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
DL earning is based on the marketing carrier, not operating carrier. It doesn't matter who tickets the actual flight, it just matters whether you have DL flight numbers or AZ/KL/VS/AF flight numbers.

If DL flight numbers you earn by the DL earning table irrespective of who is actually flying you (so in the above DL 6591 earns by DL earnings even though an Alitalia flight).

If flight numbers are KL/AF/VS/AZ as in the second example you earn based on the tables found here: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rline-partners
ilspy and TechMarauder like this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both flights are Alitalia operated, but neither is Alitalia marketed (AZ). The top one is DL marketed and the bottom is KL marketed (and thus will earn based on KL earning rates). The marketing carrier is indicated by the carrier before the flight number. That is what you need to focus on.
ilspy likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I was in so hurry to book before the deal expires so didn't even think about KL marketed tickets. Now I know what to look for next time.

This was deal from a few months back so no way to cancel/rebook within 24hr windows.

I still think it is pretty good deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.