Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One Not Impressive on recent LHR-DTW-TPA routing

Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum

Just got back from a quick mileage run to London from TPA in D1. Must say I'm not impressed. Flown in J / F at least 15 different times over the past few years years and this experience ranks near the bottom.

All lounges were overcrowded. Lounge food in F concourse in ATL was mediocre at best. Food and FAs on ATL - LHR were just average. Seats ok...had the reverse herringbone on the 332 both ways.Food not very good. FAs did their jobs, but not much else.

LHR Virgin Clubhouse access was AWESOME! On return from LHR - DTW, FAs were very impersonal. Asked about the meal at once and was told it was too late. Then they brought it out to me at once, but it was cold. DTW center terminal club was overcrowded with mediocre food at best.

Best FA was David on DTW- TPA. Remembered everyone's names in FC, gave us all a hand-written note to say thanks for being a ___ elite. Remembered all us by name as we exited aircraft.

Overall, very similar to an experience I had flying D1 from JFK-AMS in the spring. Thought that may have been an aberration, but seems to be reflective of the overall experience.

In comparison, I've had much better in-flight and lounge experiences with Thai, Lufthansa, Korean, Qantas, China Southern, Qatar, Swiss, even Aer Lingus, among others. Heck the Y food on Emirates blew away what I got for J in D1. Was very surprised given all the marketing that DL does about the quality of its product...very definitely does not live up to the hype. I can't imagine having paid the asking price of $7k round trip in D1! The D1 prices are often the most expensive I see for the routes I fly and I will not hesitate to choose a partner carrier every time I go overseas from here on out.
af fp, arunhn and In2ishn like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:02 pm

I love the D1 product for the business class that it is vs the first class that some expect.

Agreed lounge food is not consistent . Actually , they really need to improve in this area .
jaimemayo likes this.

Last edited by Tine Rod; Nov 18, 2019 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:12 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

How are you a PM and not understand the Delta Business Plan? We all know that Emirates has better hard products and clubs....anyone who has access to YT realizes that!

I enjoy Delta One simply because of the 1-2-1 seating config....many of the airlines you mentioned have a 2-2-2 business class seating which sucks for a single business traveller....
Old Nov 18, 2019, 12:21 pm

I have had great FA's in D1 and Y international, and I have had less than stellar ones. Same goes for domestic flights. Unfortuanately the seniority based bidding system that is common in the United States, among other things, prevents Delta from hiding their weaker FA's on low value leisure routes. I was chatting with a very good FA in Y LAX-JFK one flight and she was telling me that even though she has the seniority to bid international flights, that at that time there was a specific combination of flights between JFK and LAX that is lucrative in terms of the amount of hours compared to time away from base and the first round trip gets in early enough that she can do 2 round trips in a 3 day period. Doing that about once a week allows her to get her monthly hours while working as few days as possible.
IndyHoosier, becks1 and af fp like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Took the D1 Suites flights ATL-CDG and return recently. Found the service, food and seats to be great. Agree that the DL lounges are lousy.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Don’t gripe until you’ve flown UA’s and AA’s assisted living staffed J cabins...mostly surly!
emrdoc, arunhn, TravisMT81 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Agreed Delta 1 is terrible when compared to actually good international legacies (Swiss, Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, Singapore, etc). But to be FAIR, all US carriers are, so you gotta pick on AA and UA too. US airline clubs are overcrowded adult day care centers-with a few exceptions (AA Flagship First in LA/JFK) United Polaris Lounge SFO), SkyDumps are among the worst.
af fp and CPMaverick like this.

Last edited by DLATL777; Nov 18, 2019 at 1:49 pm
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by boss315
Dont gripe until youve flown UAs and AAs assisted living staffed J cabins...mostly surly!
I fly both DL and UA somewhat frequently and have noted that DLs FAs are very consistently business focused and professional. They never seem to be too chatty or have much personality but they are also always friendly, courteous, and execute as expected. I have had a lot more fun FAs on United and had a lot of surly ones as well.

As a one-off example; Ive frequently chatted with UA FAs for an hour or more in the galley (often after they initiated) whereas its all business (albeit very friendly) when getting snacks or a drink refill on DL. Ive also been told that they can only serve drinks during official beverage services on a recent NRT-EWR Polaris flight (same flight where they skipped the arrival meal because of phantom turbulence).
af fp and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by divrdrew
Asked about the meal at once and was told it was too late. Then they brought it out to me at once, but it was cold.
I am confused by this. It was too late then you got it at once ? What was cold?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Just got back from a quick mileage run to London from TPA in D1. Must say I'm not impressed. Flown in J / F at least 15 different times over the past few years years and this experience ranks near the bottom.

All lounges were overcrowded. Lounge food in F concourse in ATL was mediocre at best. Food and FAs on ATL - LHR were just average. Seats ok...had the reverse herringbone on the 332 both ways.Food not very good. FAs did their jobs, but not much else.

LHR Virgin Clubhouse access was AWESOME! On return from LHR - DTW, FAs were very impersonal. Asked about the meal at once and was told it was too late. Then they brought it out to me at once, but it was cold. DTW center terminal club was overcrowded with mediocre food at best.

Best FA was David on DTW- TPA. Remembered everyone's names in FC, gave us all a hand-written note to say thanks for being a ___ elite. Remembered all us by name as we exited aircraft.

Overall, very similar to an experience I had flying D1 from JFK-AMS in the spring. Thought that may have been an aberration, but seems to be reflective of the overall experience.

In comparison, I've had much better in-flight and lounge experiences with Thai, Lufthansa, Korean, Qantas, China Southern, Qatar, Swiss, even Aer Lingus, among others. Heck the Y food on Emirates blew away what I got for J in D1. Was very surprised given all the marketing that DL does about the quality of its product...very definitely does not live up to the hype. I can't imagine having paid the asking price of $7k round trip in D1! The D1 prices are often the most expensive I see for the routes I fly and I will not hesitate to choose a partner carrier every time I go overseas from here on out.
I've been pretty disappointed with my D1 experiences as of late too. I've especially noticed a big quality downgrade in the catering - my last r/t to the US had horrible and bland options in both directions. They used to be somewhat inventive but that trip it was really boring dishes with no flavor. I've been to a few nice SkyClubs lately (SEA and especially PHX), but others are overcrowded, dated, and simply aren't up to par with international offerings.

At least you got the A330... the 767-300 is really bad. My usual route typically downgauges from an A330 to B763 in the winter; I usually purchase D1 but on the 767 I can't justify it any more and choose Economy Comfort instead.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:24 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat

I try to only fly the A350 in D1...
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Agreed Delta 1 is terrible when compared to actually good international legacies (Swiss, Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Cathay, Singapore, etc). But to be FAIR, all US carriers are, so you gotta pick on AA and UA too. US airline clubs are overcrowded adult day care centers-with a few exceptions (AA Flagship First in LA/JFK) United Polaris Lounge SFO), SkyDumps are among the worst.
"terrible" would be a Russian cargo plane.

Adequate is better description for Delta One.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by rwSEA
I've been pretty disappointed with my D1 experiences as of late too. I've especially noticed a big quality downgrade in the catering - my last r/t to the US had horrible and bland options in both directions. They used to be somewhat inventive but that trip it was really boring dishes with no flavor. I've been to a few nice SkyClubs lately (SEA and especially PHX), but others are overcrowded, dated, and simply aren't up to par with international offerings.

At least you got the A330... the 767-300 is really bad. My usual route typically downgauges from an A330 to B763 in the winter; I usually purchase D1 but on the 767 I can't justify it any more and choose Economy Comfort instead.
So D1 is so bad you chose EC? I mean OK...
Tine Rod likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SSF556
How are you a PM and not understand the Delta Business Plan? We all know that Emirates has better hard products and clubs....anyone who has access to YT realizes that!

I enjoy Delta One simply because of the 1-2-1 seating config....many of the airlines you mentioned have a 2-2-2 business class seating which sucks for a single business traveller....
Why having certain status entail knowing the business plan of an Airline?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by SSF556
"terrible" would be a Russian cargo plane.

Adequate is better description for Delta One.
I dunno, I mean, an Antonov An-225 has a LOT of room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.