Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade priority ?: Me flying company booking as PM, wife as award or $+SM?

Old Nov 17, 19, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

My company's annual conference is the first weekend in January and I'll be flying up MCO-ATL on a company paid booking and plan to bring along my wife and our then 4 month old as a lap child for the weekend. I'll be Platinum Medallion after this week and am planning to call DL and have them link our reservations after they are made. My question is, how would it affect our ability to leverage my PM upgrade priority based on how I book her? I'd like to give us the best shot of a complimentary upgrade to F and will have enough miles to book her flight as an award flight, but would have no issues either booking her as a $+SM upgrade or outright purchase if that would place us higher up the priority list.

So that said, correct me if I'm wrong on these assumptions:

1. Lap child does not count as an additional companion for the purposes of determining upgrades
2. She's going to upgrade at the same priority as me with my paid ticket whether no matter if she's booked as award travel, $+Skymiles, or normal paid fare

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 17, 19, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
The only way to share your UG priority is to book your tickets on the same itinerary. Linking does nothing but put a note in the system; if she is on a separate PNR she will UG at whatever her own priority is (if she has status at all).

Lap child doesn't have any impact (except for that some seats don't have an extra oxygen mask, nor can you sit in an exit row with a lap chip, so you can't sit in all seats on the plane)
Old Nov 17, 19, 5:36 pm

You can request an upgrade for her as a companion if she is on a paid ticket, but it will only clear no sooner than 24 hours before the flight (unless she also has status). If miles are used for any portion of the ticket (even if you book a revenue ticket and then upgrade to C+ with miles), then that ticket is no longer upgrade eligible. The only chance you would have for an F upgrade is asking the gate agent, but that would (and should) only occur after all other medallions have cleared. Don't expect that scenario for MCO-ATL.
Old Nov 17, 19, 6:02 pm

As other have noted, since she will be on a separate PNR, her upgrade priority would be tied to her own status.

As a PM, you'll best chance would be too select the RPU as your choice and apply these to both your records. Having said that, the flight from MCO to ATL is about 1.5 hrs long and First will only provide for snacks so not sure how much value there is being on First. I would likely focus on getting adjacent seats at booking either on Y or C+.
Old Nov 17, 19, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TFGator View Post
My company's annual conference is the first weekend in January and I'll be flying up MCO-ATL on a company paid booking and plan to bring along my wife and our then 4 month old as a lap child for the weekend. I'll be Platinum Medallion after this week and am planning to call DL and have them link our reservations after they are made. My question is, how would it affect our ability to leverage my PM upgrade priority based on how I book her? I'd like to give us the best shot of a complimentary upgrade to F and will have enough miles to book her flight as an award flight, but would have no issues either booking her as a $+SM upgrade or outright purchase if that would place us higher up the priority list.

So that said, correct me if I'm wrong on these assumptions:

1. Lap child does not count as an additional companion for the purposes of determining upgrades
2. She's going to upgrade at the same priority as me with my paid ticket whether no matter if she's booked as award travel, $+Skymiles, or normal paid fare

Thanks in advance.
1)This is correct. However dont add the lap infant till at airport. Theres no need to do so beforehand domestically as lap infants fly free.
2)She only upgrades at your window if she is on the same reservation as you. As this wont be the case, the earliest she can be upgraded is 24 hours prior. I believe she also can't be booked on an award to get upgrade.
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
1)This is correct. However dont add the lap infant till at airport. Theres no need to do so beforehand domestically as lap infants fly free.
2)She only upgrades at your window if she is on the same reservation as you. As this wont be the case, the earliest she can be upgraded is 24 hours prior. I believe she also can't be booked on an award to get upgrade.
About #1 , is there a downside to adding lap child well in advance?
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ajggiant View Post
About #1 , is there a downside to adding lap child well in advance?
I think it'll inhibit the upgrade automation. The PNR will show the infant as another passenger. They even have a separate ticket, albeit a zero dollar ticket.
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
2)I believe she also can't be booked on an award to get upgrade.
This is incorrect. All award tickets are now available for comp UG for all status levels now, including companions.
Old Nov 17, 19, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
This is incorrect. All award tickets are now available for comp UG for all status levels now, including companions.
Only when on same reservation, which in this case they won't be because he's booking his ticket through a company portal.

From Delta.dumb: If you and your companion are in different paid ticket reservations that have been linked, upgrades to U.S. 50 domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently
Old Nov 17, 19, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bloc0102 View Post
Only when on same reservation, which in this case they won't be because he's booking his ticket through a company portal.

From Delta.dumb: If you and your companion are in different paid ticket reservations that have been linked, upgrades to U.S. 50 domestic Delta One, First Class and Delta Comfort+ work a little differently
This does not mention that UGs arenít available on award tickets to companions and I have successfully had one of my companions with no status on a separate award ticket PNR get on the UG list before by calling and linking the reservations.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 19, 12:04 am

Speaking As a flight attendant, I wouldnít recommend using miles, upgrade instruments or cash to upgrade to first on this route. Itís a challenging route, filled with medallions, to upgrade on to begin with. Itís also a rushed service to get snacks and beverages out. Itís not the best experience for a first class passenger. I would focus on being further foward or in C+ If itís a 757 because turbulence along this route often limits the crews ability to complete the service. Iíve flown with captains that donít let us up at all on this route (mostly when there are thunderstorms up and down the state)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: