Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rookie to airline Status - need 680 MQMs to hit Gold

Rookie to airline Status - need 680 MQMs to hit Gold

Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Rookie to airline Status - need 680 MQMs to hit Gold

I have nearly 14k MQD's, but am short on MQMs.

I am sure there is likely a simple answer to this, but is the best way to achieve this to simply look for the cheapest flight I can find? I believe every segment gets 500 MQM minimum so a round trip ticket gets me what I need?

Any websites that are helpful? Also, if anyone is familiar with best routes out of DTW, that is likely where I would fly from.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Do you have any upcoming trips? If so, you could upgrade to First and get 50% bonus MQMs. Otherwise, I'm seeing same day roundtrips from DTW to STL/RDU for $111 (Basic Economy) on Tue/Wed/Sat next month. I find Google Flights the easiest to use (leave the destination field empty, filter by Skyteam and price).
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you.

I have no travel booked before the end of the year.

Is my understanding that 500 mqm per segment is minimum? Is there a way to check this before booking?

Tks for the advice on google flights - that is pretty handy.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mikeyj80
Thank you.

I have no travel booked before the end of the year.

Is my understanding that 500 mqm per segment is minimum? Is there a way to check this before booking?

Tks for the advice on google flights - that is pretty handy.
minimum 500 MQM per segment yes. In the booking screen (before you pay) it should show you what youd earn on the flight as well.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I am sure there is likely a simple answer to this, but is the best way to achieve this to simply look for the cheapest flight I can find? I believe every segment gets 500 MQM minimum so a round trip ticket gets me what I need?

Any websites that are helpful? Also, if anyone is familiar with best routes out of DTW, that is likely where I would fly from.
If you're going to do this, plan a fun weekend someplace (warm?) or perhaps try to maximize the number of MQMs earned for roughly what you're spending, in order to go into next year with some rollover.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
DTW-ORD is usually pretty cheap.
Can do a same day RT in December for ~$150, maybe cheaper, I didn't look hard
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum

Check out flights to Denver; you can do a same day trip for well under $200 and will enjoy a bit of rollover MQMs to start 2020. Google flights is showing options at $131 for Basic Economy and $178 for Main Cabin. This is what I used 2 years ago to keep my Platinum status and it was well worth the expense.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're going for just a day from DTW, I'd be tempted to go to LGA just after Thanksgiving to see the new terminal and to visit the AmEx PlatCard (drinks, food, and swag) event that seems to be happening near Union Square. NYC is always fun and pretty around the holidays, so to see the Christmas lights a better plan might be to spend a night. NYC hotels in some neighborhoods can be cheap on weekends, although probably nothing near Fifith Avenue/CentralPark/Upper East Side during the shopping season. IIRC Union Square has a Hyatt Centric and a W.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're going to do this, plan a fun weekend someplace (warm?) or perhaps try to maximize the number of MQMs earned for roughly what you're spending, in order to go into next year with some rollover.
I like the concept of fitting something enjoyable into a mileage run, so you arent just spending all the time on a plane or in airports. My mileage run in December has turned into eight days in Paris! Its easier to expand a mileage run when youre retired.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 9:27 am

Two approaches emerge:
  • Use the trip as a little indulgence where you actually do something fun (NYC,LAS,FLL) and the price is not as critical because of other benefits. Can use Google flights to look at options
  • Cheapest possible trip to anywhere to get the miles. You could think about using Skyscanner and looking for the cheapest flights from DTW to "Everywhere". You would get a list of locations where DL might try to compete with cheap flights (e.g. Spirit) and you can use Google flight to look at those cheap markets. Problem would be avoiding overnight stays. You could also possibly find a one way that got you the necessary miles and you could return one way on a different carrier with a cheaper return option. Example could be fly Spirit to ATL for $44 and return DL for $119. You would need a location farther away than ATL to get the 680 miles, but that is the thinking.
It's a good problem to have, so good luck. And, welcome to Flyertalk!

Last edited by xooz; Nov 16, 2019 at 9:34 am
Old Nov 16, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Concur with second poster that DTW-RDU/STL look to be the cheapest at $111 roundtrip. I would not involve another airline (particularly Spirit) for positioning as you won't be protected on return in the case of irregular operations. DTW-AUS can be had for $131 sameday roundtrip on a number of Tue. and Wed. dates in December and will goose your rollover a bit (earns around 2300 MQM's total).

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 16, 2019 at 11:19 am
Old Nov 16, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
a lot of the DL amex cards have a MQM bonus after you hit a certain amount of spend. Since it's already mid-november that might be difficult to do depending on your spend habits

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.