Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have Diamonds Noticed they are lower on the upgrade list recently?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by ncassler
Why are you paying for comfort plus if you are a diamond member? Just curious since diamond automatically gets the comfort upgrade immediately after booking.
i always book C+ on shorter flights (and sometimes on longer flights) so that I can same day change (incl. between co-terminals) to my hearts galore. Especially between LGA and BOS, PHL, DCA etc. Sometimes I even save money doing it because a flight to EWR is a lot cheaper than to LGA - or let’s say I want to take the 6:59 BOS flight which may be $280 when I book for main but the 2p.m BOS is $150 in C+, I’ll book the cheaper one (in C+) and do a SDC at t-24.

where this backfires is that I lose my T-5 upgrade, if cleared.
ncassler likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
Not a diamond but platinum here. We are typically around 6-10 on upgrade lists from MSP to various locations, recently though we have been around 30-40. Quite a dramatic downgrade that happened suddenly around October 1st. Our reasoning is though we canceled our Delta credit card. I didn’t realize how much of a difference that may have made.
It's only the Reserve card that affects upgrades and even so, it just gives priority among elites of the same tier using the same fare class ("grouping"). This should have only a marginal impact, mostly in cases where one is on the bubble for an upgrade.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by xiphoid76
Not a diamond but platinum here. We are typically around 6-10 on upgrade lists from MSP to various locations, recently though we have been around 30-40. Quite a dramatic downgrade that happened suddenly around October 1st. Our reasoning is though we canceled our Delta credit card. I didn’t realize how much of a difference that may have made.
I am Diamond and still hold the Reserve and was #14 out of 63. Quite confounded.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
i always book C+ on shorter flights (and sometimes on longer flights) so that I can same day change (incl. between co-terminals) to my hearts galore. Especially between LGA and BOS, PHL, DCA etc. Sometimes I even save money doing it because a flight to EWR is a lot cheaper than to LGA - or let’s say I want to take the 6:59 BOS flight which may be $280 when I book for main but the 2p.m BOS is $150 in C+, I’ll book the cheaper one (in C+) and do a SDC at t-24.

where this backfires is that I lose my T-5 upgrade, if cleared.
I thought SDCs were based on the underlying coach fare (per the reports if many here) Didn't think C+ had anything to do with it?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pgh234
I thought SDCs were based on the underlying coach fare (per the reports if many here) Didn't think C+ had anything to do with it?
The rules for PAID C+ seem to be like the rules for paid FC or a confirmed (with ticket reissued) instrument supported upgrade into FC in that if there's an open C+ (respectively FC) seat that DL is willing to sell, you can SDC to it. Alternatively you canvoluntarily downgrade and SDC into an open coach (or C+ from FC) seat that DL is selling.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The rules for PAID C+ seem to be like the rules for paid FC or a confirmed (with ticket reissued) instrument supported upgrade into FC in that if there's an open C+ (respectively FC) seat that DL is willing to sell, you can SDC to it. Alternatively you canvoluntarily downgrade and SDC into an open coach (or C+ from FC) seat that DL is selling.
yes with one caveat... with most DM agents, the rule is just like MSPeconomist described. Some DM agents claim that you can't, so you have to hang up and call again. Similarly, some gate agents claim you can't. So it really depends on the agent and is my biggest frustration with Delta. It is amazing - if you get the right agent you can SDC with a C+ ticket in less than a minute; if you get the wrong one, it can be a 45 min ordeal - so now, if they say "no worries" -and just hang up and call again.

But anyway, if you book C+ I would say you can safely do same day change to any flight that has C+ available (or you can voluntarily downgrade) - regardless of the underlying fare bucket. I do this 50 times a year.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:04 am

This is the official rule:
  • If you have a premium cabin fare like Delta One®, Delta Premium Select or First Class you may make a Same-Day Confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the cabin purchased or a lower cabin
  • If you are traveling in Delta Comfort+, you may make a Same-Day Confirmed change as long as a seat is available in Delta Comfort+
    • If there is not a seat available in Delta Comfort+, you may be eligible to make a Same-Day Confirmed change in a Main Cabin seat, if available

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:11 am

It's only the Reserve card that affects upgrades and even so, it just gives priority among elites of the same tier using the same fare class ("grouping"). This should have only a marginal impact, mostly in cases where one is on the bubble for an upgrade.
I agree with the first part but are you sure it only has a marginal impact? I was about to sign up for one (I had one a couple years ago) based on the dude who said that his place on the upgrade list has dropped significantly since he cancelled.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
The gate agent refused to let me SDC (despite one C+ being available) and put me on the standby list, suddenly I'm #8 on the standby list for DL 999... I get that the standby list and the upgrade list are different, and also, I don't know my fare class but I paid about $100 for C+, so definitely a low fare class - thoughts?
Wouldn't you be behind confirmed passengers on DL999 that don't have a seat assignment?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by bloc0102
Wouldn't you be behind confirmed passengers on DL999 that don't have a seat assignment?
I would think I should be ahead of them given that I have a C+ ticket and there is one C+ seat left? Most (or all) people who don't have a seat assignment are basic economy.

I really want someone to chime in though on my being 1 out of 20 for an upgrade, yet #8 for a standby on the exact same flight (90 minutes apart).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
This is the official rule:
  • If you have a premium cabin fare like Delta One®, Delta Premium Select or First Class you may make a Same-Day Confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the cabin purchased or a lower cabin
  • If you are traveling in Delta Comfort+, you may make a Same-Day Confirmed change as long as a seat is available in Delta Comfort+
    • If there is not a seat available in Delta Comfort+, you may be eligible to make a Same-Day Confirmed change in a Main Cabin seat, if available

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change
So the way I read this rule it seems like there has to be a seat available in C+ in order to to the SDC - and, if not, then you are subject to the same main cabin rules ("if eligible") which would follow the same underlying fare class rule. Is that even useful at all? How frequently are there C+ seats available for sale on day of departure?

Most routes that a business traveler would frequent have C+ sold out 2-3 weeks before departure - I can't imagine many routes that would have it day of departure. Maybe mid-day short haul flights from non-hubs?

I fly weekly and - if my assumption is correct on what the rule is - I would have been able to use this "feature" a grand total of 0 times (plus the C+ premium I see - if for sale at all - is frequently $150-200+ over main cabin, not $15).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
Most routes that a business traveler would frequent have C+ sold out 2-3 weeks before departure - I can't imagine many routes that would have it day of departure. Maybe mid-day short haul flights from non-hubs?

I fly weekly and - if my assumption is correct on what the rule is - I would have been able to use this "feature" a grand total of 0 times (plus the C+ premium I see - if for sale at all - is frequently $150-200+ over main cabin, not $15).
Re point 1: if you check the app a seat will randomly open up every few hours. so you just need to be constantly checking for the flight you want - but a C+ seat usually will open up as being cancel/SDC etc.

Also, with hang up and call again, you can easily find an agent that lets you go from C+ to main even without same fare bucket or class being available.

Re point 2: the price is based on distance - I have seldom seen the price difference for BOS to LGA, BUF, PHL, or other nearby cities be more than $20. I assume it is the same with SAN to LAX, or LAX-SFO, etc. Of course, JFK to LAX, or SEA to BOS could easily be $150 or $200+
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Wait - I forgot to mention two important facts. Not disagreeing with you but these may be important facts. I initially had a confirmed seat in C+ on the first flight (LGA to Boston) - let's call it DL 999 (made up flight). I was #1 of maybe 20 on the upgrade list for DL 999. My inbound flight was delayed, and so I used Facebook to SDC to the later flight - mind you, this was only 90 minutes before DL 999 was scheduled to leave. By the time my inbound flight landed, I ran to the gate and saw that DL 999 had been delayed by about 30 minutes.

The gate agent refused to let me SDC (despite one C+ being available) and put me on the standby list, suddenly I'm #8 on the standby list for DL 999... I get that the standby list and the upgrade list are different, and also, I don't know my fare class but I paid about $100 for C+, so definitely a low fare class - thoughts?
This is pretty easy to explain. Any confirmed passenger without a seat assignment will always show above you on the standby list (since you are non-confirmed). So this could have been any of the 8 passengers. You may have been the first non-confirmed pax on the flight.

While the above is the most likely case, since your flight was delayed can guarantee you that this flight likely had a lot of SDS from people arriving early and seeing they had the opportunity to get on an earlier flight - some of which may have been Diamonds. You may have been #1 on the upgrade list, but not that high in the pecking order all things considered because 6-7 people cleared their F upgrade before it got to the gate (hypothetically).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:00 am

Wait - I forgot to mention two important facts. Not disagreeing with you but these may be important facts. I initially had a confirmed seat in C+ on the first flight (LGA to Boston) - let's call it DL 999 (made up flight). I was #1 of maybe 20 on the upgrade list for DL 999. My inbound flight was delayed, and so I used Facebook to SDC to the later flight - mind you, this was only 90 minutes before DL 999 was scheduled to leave. By the time my inbound flight landed, I ran to the gate and saw that DL 999 had been delayed by about 30 minutes.

Also, as to your "everyone was a Diamond or Platinum" - which may very well be right - wouldn't most Diamonds and Plats pay the extra $14-$20 to book C+, and therefore, in theory at least should have been able to SDC rather than SDS?

Looking at 12/4 LGA to BOS for fun - the difference between Main and C+ ranges from $14 to $20.
the "standby" list includes all confirmed passengers who have seat assignments. You can be #1 among standby passengers and show up on the "standby" list as #44 .
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Welcome to FCM folks. DL would rather make $5 selling an F seat than rewarding FFers. Judging by their record profits, I wouldn't expect things to change. With the inevitable influx of UA LVCs, it will get worse as more peeps battle for the same inventory. Am I bashing DL, no, from a business perspective it makes sense and all their competitors do the same thing.

This by far has been my worst year for upgrades. More concerning is that the drop off in upg% from last year to this year has accelerated massively. I'm at about 35% and I usually book about a week out. I was at about 60% last year. Heck, I can't even get C+ upgrades as a DM on many flights nowadays. Bout the best I can hope for is an exit row seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.