Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access flying Virgin Upper

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Lounge access flying Virgin Upper

I’ve searched but can’t find a definitive answer. Flying upper with Virgin to Atlanta then changing to a domestic flight (separate ticket). Can I use the delta lounge in ATL when waiting for the transfer flight?
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Yes, absolutely. Be sure to save your VS boarding pass for the overwater segment and present that at the lounge.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: United, Southwest
I had the exact same question and was 85% sure I could. Due to a flight change that really cut down on my transfer time (to the exact legal connection time for International to Domestic) I called Delta and was able to change to a later flight. Now I have a couple hours to enjoy a Lounge. Or two! Haven’t flown Delta in decades - looking forward to it.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I know inherently this should be true but I can't actually find the supporting language on DL.com.

You can find language on the DL website about access to the VS lounges

Clubhouse lounge access: Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse lounge access is available at select locations to Delta One® passengers, Upper Class passengers, and Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members with a same-day nonstop transatlantic flight between North America and the U.K. that is operated by Delta or Virgin Atlantic. Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members may access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses in London-Gatwick, New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports. Gold Medallion Members may only access Virgin Atlantic Clubhouses within the U.S. (New York-JFK, Newark, Washington-Dulles, Boston, Los Angeles and San Francisco Airports). Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members are allowed to bring one guest. While access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in London-Heathrow is not available to Gold Medallion Members, these Members may enjoy access to No1 Lounges, Heathrow at LHR’s Terminal 3opens in a new window. Please travel with and be prepared to show proof of your Medallion status to the Virgin Atlantic representative to receive these benefits.
And then on this page DL calls out D1, SkyTeam Business Class (of which VS is not), and Virgin Australia, but makes no specific mention of VS -- whether an oversight or intentional I don't know: https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The VS website sort of covers Upper Class passengers and Sky Club access -

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...t-lounges.html

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...rt-lounge.html

Delta Sky Club

Our shared private lounge in Atlanta is provided for Upper Class passengers. Each guest is also able to invite a friend to join them.
Upper Class passengers are welcome at the Delta Sky Club.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
The VS website sort of covers Upper Class passengers and Sky Club access -

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...t-lounges.html

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...rt-lounge.html

Delta Sky Club

Our shared private lounge in Atlanta is provided for Upper Class passengers. Each guest is also able to invite a friend to join them.
Upper Class passengers are welcome at the Delta Sky Club.
Both of these links specify using the lounge before you fly or before you board your flight. To me, that suggests that the VS Upper Class lounge benefit covers departure lounges only. Since the OP has a separate ticket for the domestic flight from ATL (and doesn't mention the airline), my *guess* is that the rules do not give the (no status) OP SC access at ATL.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:57 pm

Marketing materials aren't the access rules, and it doesn't say "before you fly on VS metal" or "before you fly TATL."

OP isn't using it as an arrival lounge. He'll have access.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Update from me. Currently in the Delta lounge in Atlanta, no problems getting in. Just showed my Delta onward boarding pass and my Virgin Upper boarding pass from the flight from London.
WheelsUpGal and NOLAnwGOLD like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Update from me. Currently in the Delta lounge in Atlanta, no problems getting in. Just showed my Delta onward boarding pass and my Virgin Upper boarding pass from the flight from London.
Don't forget to get your complimentary Premium drinks

"Travelling from ATL, SEA, MCO or MIA? Upper Class passengers and Flying Club Gold members will receive complimentary premium drinks at the bar.

As long as you're taking an international flight with Virgin Atlantic, just show your boarding pass at the bar when you order."
NOLAnwGOLD likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 3:25 pm

"Travelling from ATL, SEA, MCO or MIA? Upper Class passengers and Flying Club Gold members will receive complimentary premium drinks at the bar.

As long as you're taking an international flight with Virgin Atlantic, just show your boarding pass at the bar when you order."
Thanks! We're flying Upper Class from Atl to Lon so this will be nice...
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
OP - which SkyClub did you visit? Did you get the impression you could visit any of them, not just the one in the International terminal? Thanks . .
Old Nov 13, 2019, 7:11 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
You should be able to do any Delta Skyclub, regardless of it's location

Didn't know about the free premium drinks....does that include the expensive champagne????
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond

Wait? Is this an actual thing? Can I show my Flying Club Gold card to get complimentary premium drinks at the bar?

Where is this written?

ETA: more importantly, what constitutes a premium drink?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if that's only if you're flying to the UK. I'd be surprised if they offered premium drinks to a FC Gold member on a solely US domestic itinerary (that has lounge access through a credit card or membership), but you never know.

I assume the premium drinks refers to any of the higher-end beers, wines, and liquors that they normally charge for. I would also assume the bottles of Dom Perignon are excluded, but I think they have splits of Moet or something, maybe you can get that. I can't recall how high-end the still wines (or even spirits) go, not sure if anything there should qualify as "ultra premium" and be excluded.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
Wait? Is this an actual thing? Can I show my Flying Club Gold card to get complimentary premium drinks at the bar?

Where is this written?

ETA: more importantly, what constitutes a premium drink?
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I wonder if that's only if you're flying to the UK. I'd be surprised if they offered premium drinks to a FC Gold member on a solely US domestic itinerary (that has lounge access through a credit card or membership), but you never know.

I assume the premium drinks refers to any of the higher-end beers, wines, and liquors that they normally charge for. I would also assume the bottles of Dom Perignon are excluded, but I think they have splits of Moet or something, maybe you can get that. I can't recall how high-end the still wines (or even spirits) go, not sure if anything there should qualify as "ultra premium" and be excluded.
See link above I posted to VS website lounges page (no definition of premium drinks) and note the requirement that you are flying an international VS flight. You won't qualify for the free premium drinks if just flying domestic or international on DL metal. They may also want to see that your VS number is on your VS flight. I included this text above, but apparently some folks missed it --

"As long as you're taking an international flight with Virgin Atlantic, just show your boarding pass at the bar when you order."

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 14, 2019 at 10:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.