Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do a majority of people sleep on daytime transcontinental flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do a majority of people sleep on daytime transcontinental flights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I understand that it's not a FAA or airline rule on DL that shades be up for takeoff and landing, but IMO it's safer that they are, so if I control the shade, it's up during these periods. When boarding starts, it normally doesn't affect the temperature much in FC, plus there are many times when the cabin is too cold rather than too hot.

Similarly, I turn on all lights under my control upon landing to make it less likely that items will be forgotten and left behind on the aircraft. I want to see well when I'm checking seat pockets, etc.
I've noticed every Asian airline I've flown on requires window shades to be open during takeoff or landing. I kinda wish it was a requirement here as well. I want to know when we're about to touch down so I can brace my feet. I'm too restless to take a window seat on any flight longer than 3 hours, so I'm at the beckon call of the pax next to the window.
lucycan likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:05 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
For me the most rediculus is that some people sleep with the shades up with sun in their eye
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Being based at RDU I often have 50 minute flights (when connecting through ATL). I sleep even on those flights. A transcon is good for about a three-hour nap if there's meal service, four-hour nap otherwise.

That's my super-power. I sleep on planes.
This is also my super power - I can sleep in any moving vehicle. Landing can jolt me awake, but then I can fall back asleep again until we reach the gate.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Gold, DL-Plat
When I fly internationally, I try to start to adjust to my final destination's time zone when I begin my journey. So if it's night time in my final destination during my flight, I will try my best to sleep. However, if it's daytime there when I take off, I will try to stay awake as much as possible.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:10 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1)For a short period after 9/11 many of the flights I took required shades to be CLOSED for the last 30 minutes before landing. On one flight the captain noted on the PA “for obvious reasons...”. I think the logic was that a terrorist wouldn’t know over what potential target the plane was over, when he detonated his bomb.
(2)I find planes to be like “sardine cans”, with the shade open I feel that the inside (of the plane) and the outside “merge”—much more spacious for me.
(3)Locating landmarks on the ground is very enjoyable (even at 35,000 ft).
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
i feel like it is more of a courtesy reason to close it despite sleeping or not. the guy next to me from BOS to LAX in D1 the other day had his shade open the whole time. i didn't sleep but it was so hard for me to watch a movie. he didn't get the hint that everyone had their shades closed. kind of rude to be honest with you... i kindly asked him if he could close it. he said no since he needs to work and besides he said i was watching a movie anyway.
But then it’s common courtesy to have them open as natural light makes reading a book much easier. And it makes working easier. Why does watching a movie trump reading or working?
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
But then it’s common courtesy to have them open as natural light makes reading a book much easier. And it makes working easier. Why does watching a movie trump reading or working?
There is this marvel of technology called a reading light. In D1 there's one overhead and one in the seat at minimum.
frankflieslots likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
There is this marvel of technology called a reading light. In D1 there's one overhead and one in the seat at minimum.
Not the same. If I'm at the window, I leave it open if the sun isn't directly hitting folks in the face.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Nap when you can. A long flight afternoon flight is definitely a nap opportunity.

I rarely have a nap opportunity. I wish I could take a nap right now.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nogophers
Not the same. If I'm at the window, I leave it open if the sun isn't directly hitting folks in the face.
The problem is that one window lights the whole cabin. The reading light doesn't.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
It seems to be the norm, at least on UA, that everyone goes to sleep after the meal service regardless of the time of day. This becomes annoying when you are trying to adjust to destination time zone since it has been well established that light exposure is the number one factor that affects your sleep cycle. You can either be the only one that leaves your shade up and get complaints from people who don't want to use a sleep mask, or close the shade and sit in the dark and fall asleep yourself, screwing up your sleep cycle.
strickerj and hhdl like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Nap when you can. A long flight afternoon flight is definitely a nap opportunity.

I rarely have a nap opportunity. I wish I could take a nap right now.
You can, just nap instead of FT'ing.
puddinhead and bitterproffit like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
You can, just nap instead of FT'ing.
These 32 HS seniors would stop doing their book work and start stealing my stuff if I fell asleep. LOL They sometimes look at me like hyena's stare at a limping gazelle.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL
Having all window shades closed on a daytime flight makes me feel more claustrophobic, so I usually book a window seat to control mine. I will partially lower it, if the sun directly shines in. Seeing even just a bit of the outside makes me feel much better, as I can focus on something besides the crowded tube.
emma dog and cmd320 like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by altabello
Having all window shades closed on a daytime flight makes me feel more claustrophobic, so I usually book a window seat to control mine. I will partially lower it, if the sun directly shines in. Seeing even just a bit of the outside makes me feel much better, as I can focus on something besides the crowded tube.
Agreed - always choose a window seat and try and keep my window shade at least partially open during a daytime flight. If I want to doze I will lower the shade almost fully.
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.