De-icing Hold @ MSP

Old Nov 10, 19, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

De-icing Hold @ MSP

Why does an airport with this many ops have ONE de-icing pad for all departing flights?

65 minutes after pushback, we're #13 in line....
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
They have more than one. Don't know why they were only using one :-/
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's the beginning of winter season and more employees might need de-icing training.
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
And the Vikings are playing tonight :-)
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Frogbone View Post
And the Vikings are playing tonight :-)
.....and it's cold tonight for this time of year. It wouldn't be a pleasant night for an outdoor worker.
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:28 pm

Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
What Airline ? DL has several stations/trucks.
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:29 pm

Presumably DL (and affiliated RJ flights) since this thread was posted in the DL forum.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
Why does an airport with this many ops have ONE de-icing pad for all departing flights?

Originally Posted by Frogbone View Post
They have more than one. Don't know why they were only using one :-/
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It's the beginning of winter season and more employees might need de-icing training.
Originally Posted by flyer4512 View Post
What Airline ? DL has several stations/trucks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Presumably DL (and affiliated RJ flights) since this thread was posted in the DL forum.
It's still early in the season to have multiple employees both qualified and on duty. Even if they worked last year, I believe they have to recertify each year. Also I believe that deicing is provided by the airport, not the airline itself.
becks1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:12 pm

In the past, DL did their own de-icing at MSP and ATL at least. I suspect the same is true in DTW and other hubs, with airports doing it at smaller airports or places where an airline doesn't have significant operations (although ground handlers could also do it at some airports).
becks1 and flyer4512 like this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
There are at least three deicing pads for Delta ops at MSP. One at both of the 30 ends and one near the 12L end. There may also be others, but I’ve used all three of those.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrkmsp View Post
There are at least three deicing pads for Delta ops at MSP. One at both of the 30 ends and one near the 12L end. There may also be others, but Iíve used all three of those.
Captain said only one was operational.
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:23 pm

I've seen at least two (and I lelieve three) de-icing stations at MSP in operation next to each other. I don't know whether there were other DL stations in use at the same time in other parts of the airport.

ADDED: On airportviewer.com I'm not seeing anything that looks like aircraft lined up to be de-iced. Everything looks quiet with the parallel runways being used now and not a lot of movement on the tarmac, although it's getting late in the evening for much action.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 10, 19 at 11:44 pm
Old Nov 10, 19, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K

Captain said only one was operational.
you answered your own question ...
Old Nov 10, 19, 11:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, 2MM, Marriott Ambassador
DTW was slow in deicing last week...took about an hour for an 8:30 am flight. I agree that it's early in the season and they just weren't prepared...I believe.
Old Nov 11, 19, 12:56 am

Once everyone gets accustomed to winter, it's an amazingly slick process at MSP and DTW. One has the impression that it's like the aircraft being driven on a slight detour through a car wash on the way to the takeoff line. The de-icing stations are cool, very sensible, and much more efficient than sending mobile de-icing equipment to the gates just before departure.
writerguyfl likes this.

Search this Thread