FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   value of diamond vs. platinum? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1994957-value-diamond-vs-platinum.html)

cplunk Nov 10, 2019 10:59 am

value of diamond vs. platinum?

Unless my travel schedule for the rest of the year changes, I expect to be about 1000 MQDs short of diamond medallion (have enough MQMs).

I'm trying to sort out and justify to myself if blowing $1000 of my own money ( tickets are all expensed) on first class upgrades to meet this goal is worth it?

Sure, I'd get access to the lounge, I guess, but I can get for ~ 45,000 miles now. And, I typically get to the airport less than 90 minutes before departure and most tickets have 60-90 minute layovers, so I wouldn't be there much anyways.

I'd get higher on the list for upgrades. But am I suddenly going to be getting that many more? I hardly get any first class upgrades now. Access to comfort+ looks the same between platinum and diamond, available pretty much right after company travel agent pays for the ticket.

And, am I correct assuming that if I take a $200 certificate for the platinum medallion "choice benefit", spending that counts as MQDs?

Duke787 Nov 10, 2019 11:19 am

GUCs -- if you have use for them (and can use them) are worth more than $1000. Otherwise you are probably better off taking the rollover to jumpstart PM qualification for next year

MarkCron Nov 10, 2019 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 31722106)
GUCs -- if you have use for them (and can use them) are worth more than $1000. Otherwise you are probably better off taking the rollover to jumpstart PM qualification for next year

yep, I don't know anyone (except those who can't use them) who would value these at less than $1000

gregsfortytwo Nov 10, 2019 11:22 am

The value of Diamond for me has been the GUCs. If you’re only flying domestic you can also get a huge pile of RUCs.

There’s probably also service benefits but I luckily haven’t had much trouble (though some people swear by them) so the only time it mattered to me was when a bored driver took me out in a Porsche to play on the tarmac at Seattle during a long layover. :D

i am higher on the upgrade list for sure but I’m not sure it’s made a difference on my routes; that is heavily dependent on your flight patterns.

PHXflier Nov 10, 2019 11:24 am

The GUCs are very important to me, and are easily worth the $1000

SuperG1955 Nov 10, 2019 2:17 pm

I usually take a 25,000 RDM benefit and it does not count as MQDs.

As has been pointed out, the GUC's are worth much more than $1000. If you don't fly internationally, take the 25,000 miles 3 times. those 75,000 miles are worth at least $750 at $.01 PWM and more if you use them judicially.

Other benefits that don't have a specific $ amount value are the DM phone line, better IIROPS treatment, early boarding if you need overhead space, bag tags (just being facetious with that one) and other intangible benefits.

RooseveltL Nov 10, 2019 3:08 pm

GUC if you fly Intl. They work not only on DL but AF/KLM with request.

MSPeconomist Nov 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL (Post 31722712)
GUC if you fly Intl. They work not only on DL but AF/KLM with request.

IIRC now on KE too, but you must purchase a very high fare class.

Also, isn't it still true that on AF the GUC only covers the TATL flight and not intraEU segments or has that been changed to match the KLM rules for using GUCs?

RooseveltL Nov 10, 2019 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31722720)
Also, isn't it still true that on AF the GUC only covers the TATL flight and not intraEU segments or has that been changed to match the KLM rules for using GUCs?

Intra-EU is short. TATL is a must sleep fight.

rubey419 Nov 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo (Post 31722120)
The value of Diamond for me has been the GUCs. If you’re only flying domestic you can also get a huge pile of RUCs.

There’s probably also service benefits but I luckily haven’t had much trouble (though some people swear by them) so the only time it mattered to me was when a bored driver took me out in a Porsche to play on the tarmac at Seattle during a long layover. :D

i am higher on the upgrade list for sure but I’m not sure it’s made a difference on my routes; that is heavily dependent on your flight patterns.

Wow how did you manage that? I don't even know who to ask for something like that. I just made Diamond and hope to have a tight connection one day just to ride in the Porsche just once lol.

I do like boarding with the First Class. This is valuable for having ample bin storage, assuming I couldn't clear into Comfort/First class with its dedicated storage.

gregsfortytwo Nov 10, 2019 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by rubey419 (Post 31722752)
Wow how did you manage that? I don't even know who to ask for something like that. I just made Diamond and hope to have a tight connection one day just to ride in the Porsche just once lol.

I do like boarding with the First Class. This is valuable for having ample bin storage, assuming I couldn't clear into Comfort/First class with its dedicated storage.

Just random luck. I guess they have a very bursty schedule for transfers at SEA and I was checking in to the Sky Club when a driver came by and heard a reference to Diamond status (I think I was on one of the thru-fares that cause trouble for check-in?). She said it was part of their “Surprise and Delight” program.

MSPeconomist Nov 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by RooseveltL (Post 31722737)
Intra-EU is short. TATL is a must sleep fight.

SO? I'd still rather be in business class than a middle seat in the last row of coach even for a short intraEU flight if I've used a GUC.

TheMadBrewer Nov 10, 2019 5:42 pm

As a former DM (now PM) I agree with those that say the GUCs are worth it -- that is what I miss the most. I never had any trouble using them on TATL flights -- at least on the D1 leg, often sat in the back on the domestic leg. I got almost no Medallion upgrades my last two years of DM -- as I was mostly flying between LAX-ATL/DTW/JFK on my domestic flights. Even RUCs mostly didn't clear.

It is funny, but I also miss the early boarding when I am in Y. I've had very few IRROPS over the years, so I can't speak to improved service there.

As for the other question, the $200 voucher counts towards MQD when used -- it is just like cash. You get RDM based on the full price as well. This is different than using PWM, there you only RDM/MQD based on the cash portion.

One thing I have noticed dropping to PM: I hear more Minnesota accents when I call in -- this is a good thing :)

bsagator Nov 10, 2019 6:55 pm

$1k USD? Totally worth it.

gitismatt Nov 10, 2019 7:16 pm

is your travel going to be the same next year? all these benefits are great if you are going to be flying.