Wiki Posts
Search

Denied access to SC @LAX T3

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Denied access to SC @LAX T3

Today I'm flying from CDG - LAX - SJC, ticketed by Delta. The first segment is in J operated by AF, and the second one in F by DL.

After landing in LAX I was heading to the SC, got my boarding pass scanned, and was denied access. The SC agent insisted on asking me to provide the physical card of Amex Reserve which I did not bring with me, but stored in Delta website as a payment option.

This is very weird to me. According to my itinerary I should have SC access from three different angles:
- Skyteam EP (I'm DL DM) traveling with same day international segments.
- International business class.
- Amex Reserve

I never had any issue on SC access until today, which is pretty awkward. Maybe I can still get access by arguing more, but I was in a short layover and just hoping to get something to drink, so I gave up.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by COYG
Today I'm flying from CDG - LAX - SJC, ticketed by Delta. The first segment is in J operated by AF, and the second one in F by DL.

After landing in LAX I was heading to the SC, got my boarding pass scanned, and was denied access. The SC agent insisted on asking me to provide the physical card of Amex Reserve which I did not bring with me, but stored in Delta website as a payment option.

This is very weird to me. According to my itinerary I should have SC access from three different angles:
- Skyteam EP (I'm DL DM) traveling with same day international segments.
- International business class.
- Amex Reserve

I never had any issue on SC access until today, which is pretty awkward. Maybe I can still get access by arguing more, but I was in a short layover and just hoping to get something to drink, so I gave up.
write in and complain. Thats triple BS, especially denying the first two reasons for entry.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
IME they can't access stored forms of payment, but the other two reasons are 100% valid for entry. I agree, this is something to complain about since you didn't receive something you paid for.

-J.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skyteam Elite Plus does not get arrival access unless connecting to an onward Skyteam international flight (same-day international flight is not sufficient). But same-day Skyteam J or DL Reserve card should have been sufficient.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Skyteam Elite Plus does not get arrival access unless connecting to an onward Skyteam international flight (same-day international flight is not sufficient).
Incorrect:

SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your boarding passes and a valid Elite Plus membership card for the lounge agent to validate for admission.
https://www.skyteam.com/EN/about/faq/lounge-access
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Skyteam Elite Plus does not get arrival access unless connecting to an onward Skyteam international flight (same-day international flight is not sufficient). But same-day Skyteam J or DL Reserve card should have been sufficient.
I've never had problem as STE+ getting arrival access in DTW, MSP, ATL.
And at least in the past, the cc access (DL Reserve) was stored in my profile (don't have card anymore).

I think this is a LAX issue, as I've had problems there as well using STE+ on connecting international flights.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
That is false:

https://www.delta.com/eu/en/delta-sky-club/access

In the section under SkyTeam Elite Plus, note the part where it says "a SkyTeam domestic flight connecting to/from a same day international flight" qualifies for SC access. That said, I've found the scanners at DL SkyClubs often don't recognize this if I use a domestic BP to enter. In those cases, I've had to show the international BP to the dragon. But I've never been denied entry once I showed the international BP.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, I was looking at the disclaimer section below about no access on arrivals. I now see connecting to domestic Skyteam should be "qualifying" and you shouldn't need an onward Skyteam international. However, it is true you don't get access simply for same-day international with Skyteam Elite Plus (you need to be either departing or connecting somewhere on onward Skyteam flight). It could be systems are programmed to look for onward Skyteam international and are rejecting because they don't consider the domestic to be qualifying. Note they first say connecting "to/from" same day international, and then later just say connecting domestic "to" international (with no "from").

"Note: Skyteam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at departure airport and not at arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying Skyteam flight"

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 10, 2019 at 6:45 am
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Okay, I was looking at the disclaimer section below about no access on arrivals. I now see connecting to domestic Skyteam should be "qualifying" and you don't need an onward Skyteam international. However, it is true you don't get access simply for same-day international with Skyteam Elite Plus (you need to be either departing or connecting somewhere on onward Skyteam flight). It could be systems are programmed to look for onward Skyteam international and are rejecting because they don't consider the domestic to be qualifying.

"Note: Skyteam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at departure airport and not at arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying Skyteam flight"
No one said it didnt require onward flight. Just that the onward can be domestic after international, as was case of poster.

I'm betting DL system didnt register an AF flight. Thus agent did realize OP was inbound international. I always show the international BP to prevent this problem .
MSPeconomist and koreanair720 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it is great when the system functions in the background, it is ultimately up to the passenger to "prove" access. Credit card or BP would have done the trick here.

For further background, storing a card number in your profile does nothing vis-a-vis front line employees. All that does is create a token which approves a charge should you use the card. This is basic security protocol for merchants worldwide.

You might write in to DL as the SC agent probably should have told you what she required if she was unable to locate it herself.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:01 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
For further background, storing a card number in your profile does nothing vis-a-vis front line employees. All that does is create a token which approves a charge should you use the card. This is basic security protocol for merchants worldwide.
My Amex platinum charge card is a stored method of payment on my Delta profile and my only SC access. I no longer need to present the physical card when accessing a SC.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...ub-access/amp/

It doesn't look like the reserve card works this way though.
rogo, Pittie Pup and LAX-1K like this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I had the same issue at LAX. They would let me in because I had the Reserve, but not my wife. We were traveling D1 LAX-DCA, and the agents insisted that LAX-DCA is not a D1 route (only the JFK flights and international are D1 according the the lounge agents). No amount of arguing, including showing D1 on the reservation, could convince them otherwise. Eventually gave up for the same reason you did. If we had a longer layover I would have charged it to my card and asked Delta for a refund later.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I had the same issue at LAX. They would let me in because I had the Reserve, but not my wife. We were traveling D1 LAX-DCA, and the agents insisted that LAX-DCA is not a D1 route (only the JFK flights and international are D1 according the the lounge agents). No amount of arguing, including showing D1 on the reservation, could convince them otherwise. Eventually gave up for the same reason you did. If we had a longer layover I would have charged it to my card and asked Delta for a refund later.
You should absolutely file a complaint on this
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by MarkCron
I think this is a LAX issue, as I've had problems there as well using STE+ on connecting international flights.
LAX definitely pops up a LOT more than other clubs when these types of problems are reported.
steveholt likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What boarding pass did you use? Domestic or international?

I've been questioned on my free +1 as STE+ on international flights when I've given them my onward domestic boarding pass instead of my inbound international.

Not sure why their screens don't show the inbound flight in this scenario.

The card angle is weird though -- since AMEX Plat at least is now linked to accounts so you only need a BP and not the physical card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.