Denied access to SC @LAX T3

Old Nov 10, 19, 1:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 33
Denied access to SC @LAX T3

Today I'm flying from CDG - LAX - SJC, ticketed by Delta. The first segment is in J operated by AF, and the second one in F by DL.

After landing in LAX I was heading to the SC, got my boarding pass scanned, and was denied access. The SC agent insisted on asking me to provide the physical card of Amex Reserve which I did not bring with me, but stored in Delta website as a payment option.

This is very weird to me. According to my itinerary I should have SC access from three different angles:
- Skyteam EP (I'm DL DM) traveling with same day international segments.
- International business class.
- Amex Reserve

I never had any issue on SC access until today, which is pretty awkward. Maybe I can still get access by arguing more, but I was in a short layover and just hoping to get something to drink, so I gave up.
COYG is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:01 am
  #2  

2019 Secret Santa
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: JFK BOS LAX
Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by COYG View Post
Today I'm flying from CDG - LAX - SJC, ticketed by Delta. The first segment is in J operated by AF, and the second one in F by DL.

After landing in LAX I was heading to the SC, got my boarding pass scanned, and was denied access. The SC agent insisted on asking me to provide the physical card of Amex Reserve which I did not bring with me, but stored in Delta website as a payment option.

This is very weird to me. According to my itinerary I should have SC access from three different angles:
- Skyteam EP (I'm DL DM) traveling with same day international segments.
- International business class.
- Amex Reserve

I never had any issue on SC access until today, which is pretty awkward. Maybe I can still get access by arguing more, but I was in a short layover and just hoping to get something to drink, so I gave up.
write in and complain. Thats triple BS, especially denying the first two reasons for entry.
CatchFlightsNotFeelings is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:26 am
  #3  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NYC
Programs: DL KM, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Silver, Natl EE, Avis PC, Greyhound RR
Posts: 5,420
IME they can't access stored forms of payment, but the other two reasons are 100% valid for entry. I agree, this is something to complain about since you didn't receive something you paid for.

-J.
MSPeconomist likes this.
GW McLintock is online now  
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:42 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 962
Skyteam Elite Plus does not get arrival access unless connecting to an onward Skyteam international flight (same-day international flight is not sufficient). But same-day Skyteam J or DL Reserve card should have been sufficient.
xliioper is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:55 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 929
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Skyteam Elite Plus does not get arrival access unless connecting to an onward Skyteam international flight (same-day international flight is not sufficient).
Incorrect:

SkyTeam Elite Plus members, regardless of their travel class, are allowed access to a SkyTeam lounge at a particular airport if traveling on or connecting to/from a same-day international flight operated by a SkyTeam member airline. Simply present your boarding passes and a valid Elite Plus membership card for the lounge agent to validate for admission.
https://www.skyteam.com/EN/about/faq/lounge-access
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:56 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Skyteam Elite Plus does not get arrival access unless connecting to an onward Skyteam international flight (same-day international flight is not sufficient). But same-day Skyteam J or DL Reserve card should have been sufficient.
I've never had problem as STE+ getting arrival access in DTW, MSP, ATL.
And at least in the past, the cc access (DL Reserve) was stored in my profile (don't have card anymore).

I think this is a LAX issue, as I've had problems there as well using STE+ on connecting international flights.
MarkCron is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 6:56 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Now in SLC
Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Posts: 2,892
That is false:

https://www.delta.com/eu/en/delta-sky-club/access

In the section under SkyTeam Elite Plus, note the part where it says "a SkyTeam domestic flight connecting to/from a same day international flight" qualifies for SC access. That said, I've found the scanners at DL SkyClubs often don't recognize this if I use a domestic BP to enter. In those cases, I've had to show the international BP to the dragon. But I've never been denied entry once I showed the international BP.
LoganFlyer is online now  
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Yes
Posts: 962
Okay, I was looking at the disclaimer section below about no access on arrivals. I now see connecting to domestic Skyteam should be "qualifying" and you shouldn't need an onward Skyteam international. However, it is true you don't get access simply for same-day international with Skyteam Elite Plus (you need to be either departing or connecting somewhere on onward Skyteam flight). It could be systems are programmed to look for onward Skyteam international and are rejecting because they don't consider the domestic to be qualifying. Note they first say connecting "to/from" same day international, and then later just say connecting domestic "to" international (with no "from").

"Note: Skyteam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at departure airport and not at arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying Skyteam flight"

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 10, 19 at 7:45 am
xliioper is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:39 am
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 16,934
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Okay, I was looking at the disclaimer section below about no access on arrivals. I now see connecting to domestic Skyteam should be "qualifying" and you don't need an onward Skyteam international. However, it is true you don't get access simply for same-day international with Skyteam Elite Plus (you need to be either departing or connecting somewhere on onward Skyteam flight). It could be systems are programmed to look for onward Skyteam international and are rejecting because they don't consider the domestic to be qualifying.

"Note: Skyteam Elite Plus benefits are provided only at departure airport and not at arrival airport unless connecting to a qualifying Skyteam flight"
No one said it didnt require onward flight. Just that the onward can be domestic after international, as was case of poster.

I'm betting DL system didnt register an AF flight. Thus agent did realize OP was inbound international. I always show the international BP to prevent this problem .
MSPeconomist and koreanair720 like this.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Nov 10, 19, 7:53 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 43,331
While it is great when the system functions in the background, it is ultimately up to the passenger to "prove" access. Credit card or BP would have done the trick here.

For further background, storing a card number in your profile does nothing vis-a-vis front line employees. All that does is create a token which approves a charge should you use the card. This is basic security protocol for merchants worldwide.

You might write in to DL as the SC agent probably should have told you what she required if she was unable to locate it herself.
Often1 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:01 am
  #11  
TTT
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: 45 North
Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,495
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
For further background, storing a card number in your profile does nothing vis-a-vis front line employees. All that does is create a token which approves a charge should you use the card. This is basic security protocol for merchants worldwide.
My Amex platinum charge card is a stored method of payment on my Delta profile and my only SC access. I no longer need to present the physical card when accessing a SC.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...ub-access/amp/

It doesn't look like the reserve card works this way though.
rogo, LAX-1K and Pittie Pup like this.
TTT is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:36 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Posts: 972
I had the same issue at LAX. They would let me in because I had the Reserve, but not my wife. We were traveling D1 LAX-DCA, and the agents insisted that LAX-DCA is not a D1 route (only the JFK flights and international are D1 according the the lounge agents). No amount of arguing, including showing D1 on the reservation, could convince them otherwise. Eventually gave up for the same reason you did. If we had a longer layover I would have charged it to my card and asked Delta for a refund later.
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:45 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 929
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
I had the same issue at LAX. They would let me in because I had the Reserve, but not my wife. We were traveling D1 LAX-DCA, and the agents insisted that LAX-DCA is not a D1 route (only the JFK flights and international are D1 according the the lounge agents). No amount of arguing, including showing D1 on the reservation, could convince them otherwise. Eventually gave up for the same reason you did. If we had a longer layover I would have charged it to my card and asked Delta for a refund later.
You should absolutely file a complaint on this
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 8:46 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 929
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
I think this is a LAX issue, as I've had problems there as well using STE+ on connecting international flights.
LAX definitely pops up a LOT more than other clubs when these types of problems are reported.
steveholt likes this.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 19, 9:05 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,133
What boarding pass did you use? Domestic or international?

I've been questioned on my free +1 as STE+ on international flights when I've given them my onward domestic boarding pass instead of my inbound international.

Not sure why their screens don't show the inbound flight in this scenario.

The card angle is weird though -- since AMEX Plat at least is now linked to accounts so you only need a BP and not the physical card.
Duke787 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread