Delta Premium Select alcohol - how generous?

Old Nov 9, 19, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Delta Premium Select alcohol - how generous?

I have an upcoming premium select flight (DTW to ICN) and I'm curious how generous Delta is with alcoholic beverage service. Is it as limited as international regular economy or more generous like domestic first class? Or, how else would you characterize it in your experience? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
IME it all depends on the flight attendant. Iíve flown 6 times in the past 2 months, two LAX-PVG, one SEA-PVG round trips. A couple times, the flight attendant made it a point to refill me proactively. Other times Iíve had to ring the call button since they tend to disappear between service. Never had an issue though.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by TheStigy View Post
I have an upcoming premium select flight (DTW to ICN) and I'm curious how generous Delta is with alcoholic beverage service. Is it as limited as international regular economy or more generous like domestic first class? Or, how else would you characterize it in your experience? Thanks for your thoughts.
curious what you mean by limited as intl economy?
you can drink as much as you want (until they run out); there are many drink runs, and no FA has ever denied me a drink (usually a double) when I walk back to the galley and request it
maybe you are talking about quality of wine?
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
curious what you mean by limited as intl economy?
I don't mean limited as in limited quality or selection. What I mean by limited is it seems the attendants tend to disappear in between services and it feels like they don't exactly make it easy to get refills, real or perceived on my part. Whereas in domestic first it feels like they are usually offering unsolicited refills to the point where I finally say no thank you. Just curious which end of the spectrum Premium Select typically falls in your experience.
Old Nov 9, 19, 3:58 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
IME you'll be served unless you get to the point of being loud/obnoxious and/or stumbling.

Depending on the crew/time of day, you may have to go to the galley or ring the callbell to ask, but there's no arbitrary limit.

So, to answer your question, alcohol service in PES it'd say its more akin to domestic first class.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TheStigy View Post
I don't mean limited as in limited quality or selection. What I mean by limited is it seems the attendants tend to disappear in between services and it feels like they don't exactly make it easy to get refills, real or perceived on my part. Whereas in domestic first it feels like they are usually offering unsolicited refills to the point where I finally say no thank you. Just curious which end of the spectrum Premium Select typically falls in your experience.
Whether you are in D1 or Y, if you want a drink and a FA is not in easy eye shot, just hit your call button and ask. I happen to find it more pleasant and a good excuse to wander a bit, to walk to the galley and ask.

Never been denied and you won't be either. Don't be timid. Only exception as noted is if they've run out or you are or appear to be intoxicated.
anon2k2, AANYC1981 and Duke787 like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
I was in D1 on a SEA-AMS flight when I asked for a double Macallan. The flight attendant said, "Delta's policy is not to serve doubles but you don't look like an alcoholic, so here you go." That's in my top 3 ... statements ever by a service or retail employee.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by anon2k2 View Post
I was in D1 on a SEA-AMS flight when I asked for a double Macallan. The flight attendant said, "Delta's policy is not to serve doubles but you don't look like an alcoholic, so here you go." That's in my top 3 ... statements ever by a service or retail employee.
Lol -- in contrast my FA on ICN - MSP last month practically insisted on giving me a double because she was worried they'd run out (if they did it wasn't until after I got another round to have with my cheese platter )

+1 though to never having an issue in international Y. Always been served without pushback on drink service (even when they are doing the water / wine / coffee run and I ask for Woodford) and ditto with walking back and asking in the galley when the lights are down.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:47 pm

ha! Iíve had a few flight attendants say something along those lines to me but my favorite was a flight attendant on a flight from ATL-PTY scold me for asking for a double and tell me I should pace myself. Lady I went to Florida State! I got this! 😂
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I donít ask for doubles in premium cabins because the expectation is that once youíre finished youíll be offered a refill.

in YC though you donít see FAs for another 30 mins or more so I do it just to make it easier for everyone involved.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:53 pm

ha! Iíve had a few flight attendants say something along those lines to me but my favorite was a flight attendant on a flight from ATL-PTY scold me for asking for a double and tell me I should pace myself. Lady I went to Florida State! I got this! 😂
anon2k2 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:04 pm

A trend I've noticed is that people seem hesitant to ring the call button. Use it. It's not impolite. Smile and ask for another cocktail. You don't need to ever feel its an imposition or be embarrassed
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pfreet View Post
A trend I've noticed is that people seem hesitant to ring the call button. Use it. It's not impolite. Smile and ask for another cocktail. You don't need to ever feel its an imposition or be embarrassed
I have not noticed such a trend at all.
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:55 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I have not noticed such a trend at all.
Iíve seen some hesitation by passengers on US carriers. However on international carriers I see the call button pressed much more commonly. Usually though itís for more non-alcoholic beverages such as water or juice, but I have seen the occasional beer too. Overall I see nothing wrong with it provided the request is reasonable and one is polite.

Back to OPís question: My experience with PS is that it is sort of inbetween international Y and Domestic F. The attendants did offer more beverages (via cart) but didnít ďinsistĒ as generously as Iíve seen in Domestic F. That being said I was never denied nor did I see anyone else. One FA seemed a bit surprised when I ordered a Baileys on the rocks with the midflight ice cream. Some remark along the lines of ďOh, never served that without coffee before.Ē
Old Nov 10, 19, 5:17 am

I feel like a a hole pushing that button. Honestly over my last 100 flights Iíve seen it pushed by anyone maybe once.

Search this Thread