Are IAD / DCA co-terminals?

Old Nov 9, 19, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AMEX Plat
Are IAD / DCA co-terminals?

I have a ticket booked into Dulles. Does Delta allow changes between IAD and DCA as co-terminals? I am in first with no status on Delta. How can I minimize potential change fees? (wait until check-in, at the airport, etc). With my luck, if I changed, the DCA flight would be delayed 2 hours and the IAD flight would get in on time, so the extra time on the road would cancel out, but I would like to understand what options are available to me.

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn View Post
I have a ticket booked into Dulles. Does Delta allow changes between IAD and DCA as co-terminals? I am in first with no status on Delta. How can I minimize potential change fees? (wait until check-in, at the airport, etc). With my luck, if I changed, the DCA flight would be delayed 2 hours and the IAD flight would get in on time, so the extra time on the road would cancel out, but I would like to understand what options are available to me.

Thanks
Officially, outside of IRROPs you have zero options other than to pay change fee and fare difference. IAD, DCA, and BWI are co-terminal but it doesn't matter unless you are a DM doing an SDC.

In practice, sometimes just asking nicely works.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
If you have no checked bags, simply goto the gate of the flight. If you ask nicely most time the GA wont have a problem as long as isnt full.
Zorak likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 11:45 am

DM only have an unwritten privilege of SDC or SDS at co-terminals.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Co-terminals help everyone if there's a waiver or IROPs.

Otherwise, regular change fees apply and a FC ticket without status doesn't permit someone to SDC/SDS on the day of departure without paying the fee.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, presuming that your ticket rules permit changes, you may change between DCA and IAD. But, for a typical domestic ticket, the fee is $200 + fare difference.

No, you are not eligible for Same Day Change ($75 + fare difference). While IAD and DCA are co-terminals, that is irrelevant for SDC purposes in your situation.

Do not simply go to the other airport and ask. You are effectively stuck with what may be an expensive answer. Whether you are polite or not, does not really help in the separate airports situation. Asking "nicely" may sometimes work at the same airport, but you are not stuck with a bad answer.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
If you have no checked bags, simply goto the gate of the flight. If you ask nicely most time the GA wont have a problem as long as isnt full.
I don't think the OP can get to the gate with a boarding pass for a flight departing from a different (even if co-terminal) airport. There's no practical way to ask the GA.
ExArkie likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:20 pm

I had a mco>dtw>iad flight. Flight to dtw was delayed on the ground in mco for mx. missed connector to iad and they rebooked me next day on a rj to iad. Called gold desk at the time and got on dtw to bwi that night. Not sure that is irops since just me but they allowed that.

i was on a paid F ticket and got F to bwi.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I don't think the OP can get to the gate with a boarding pass for a flight departing from a different (even if co-terminal) airport. There's no practical way to ask the GA.
The way I read OP, he's flying to DC, not from.

I have a ticket booked into Dulles.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Yes, presuming that your ticket rules permit changes, you may change between DCA and IAD. But, for a typical domestic ticket, the fee is $200 + fare difference.

No, you are not eligible for Same Day Change ($75 + fare difference). While IAD and DCA are co-terminals, that is irrelevant for SDC purposes in your situation.

Do not simply go to the other airport and ask. You are effectively stuck with what may be an expensive answer. Whether you are polite or not, does not really help in the separate airports situation. Asking "nicely" may sometimes work at the same airport, but you are not stuck with a bad answer.
Reread. OP is flying into, not out of DC area. Asking at whatever hub flying from is very likely to get him what he wants.
Old Nov 9, 19, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
The way I read OP, he's flying to DC, not from.

I have a ticket booked into Dulles.
Sorry but I read the post just above mine (that you quoted above) and focused on the suggestion not to go to the other airport to ask.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
DM only have an unwritten privilege of SDC or SDS at co-terminals.
It's an unwritten rule, so it's hard to say if something is an "exception" to it, but I managed to get a couple of co-terminal SDCs as a PM a few years back.
Old Nov 9, 19, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Co-terminals help everyone if there's a waiver or IROPs.
sort of, but in both of those cases you can (usually) change to airports that aren't co-terminals, too.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
It's an unwritten rule, so it's hard to say if something is an "exception" to it, but I managed to get a couple of co-terminal SDCs as a PM a few years back.
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
sort of, but in both of those cases you can (usually) change to airports that aren't co-terminals, too.
It's called unpublished, not unwritten. It is indeed part of DLs policy. Just not published externally.

IRROPS can change up to 250 or 300 miles I believe is their rule. YMMV has to how far/close they actually allow. The self rebooking tool I believe goes up to the limit and sometimes farther.
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
OP stated that he/she is in First. If OP is on a true F fare, all of this discussion is moot and OP can have the ticket changed to the most convenient option at no additional charge.

Search this Thread