Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How early to get to YVR (F to Seattle, unable to check in on app)

How early to get to YVR (F to Seattle, unable to check in on app)

Old Nov 8, 19, 10:43 pm
  #1  
mhy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 214
How early to get to YVR (F to Seattle, unable to check in on app)

Hello,

I am flying Delta in F on a 6:48pm departure from YVR to SEA.

The Delta app wonít let me check in because I am not a US citizen (I am a permanent resident) and there is no way to put in my Green Card information.

I guess that means I need to go to the checkin counter and have my documents checked to get my boarding pass.

How early should I get to YVR? Delta App says 3 hours before departure but that seems excessive.

I have Global Entry and have only hand luggage.

Thank you!
mhy is online now  
Old Nov 8, 19, 10:55 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 16,934
Originally Posted by mhy View Post
Hello,

I am flying Delta in F on a 6:48pm departure from YVR to SEA.

The Delta app wonít let me check in because I am not a US citizen (I am a permanent resident) and there is no way to put in my Green Card information.

I guess that means I need to go to the checkin counter and have my documents checked to get my boarding pass.

How early should I get to YVR? Delta App says 3 hours before departure but that seems excessive.

I have Global Entry and have only hand luggage.

Thank you!
An hour and half is fine. Checkin cutoff I believe is 60 minutes as this is international flight. For first flight of morning checkin normally isnt even open (nor is preclearance) 3 hours before flight.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Nov 8, 19, 11:22 pm
  #3  
mhy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
An hour and half is fine. Checkin cutoff I believe is 60 minutes as this is international flight. For first flight of morning checkin normally isnt even open (nor is preclearance) 3 hours before flight.
Thanks! Iíll target arriving at YVR at 5pm just to be safe.
mhy is online now  
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:07 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: RDU/CHI
Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Posts: 12,085
I walked into the terminal at 1155a for a 2:05p flight YVR-MSP and had plenty of time. With Global Entry, CBP took maybe four minutes. Security was a little longer than usual because I didn't have my physical Global Entry card with me.
ElmhurstNick is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:25 am
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 84,937
I've seen some very long lines at YVR for transborder flights.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:37 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YVR, HNL
Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Posts: 5,171
OP, do you have your physical GE card with you? If so, I routinely stroll in around T-40 and easily have time for a snack in the lounge. If you donít have your physical GE card (which lets you into the Nexus line for CATSA) and will have to stand in the regular security line, I would leave 1.5-2hrs.
Finkface is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:56 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 84,937
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
OP, do you have your physical GE card with you? If so, I routinely stroll in around T-40 and easily have time for a snack in the lounge. If you donít have your physical GE card (which lets you into the Nexus line for CATSA) and will have to stand in the regular security line, I would leave 1.5-2hrs.
OP needs to check in at the airport and check in closes one hour before (most) international DL flights, so doing T-40 would definitely be a very bad idea. I'd suggest two hours just in case there's a problem, although an hour and a half should be sufficient since as a FC passenger, OP will have access to the SkyPriority line.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:57 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DTW
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
OP, do you have your physical GE card with you? If so, I routinely stroll in around T-40 and easily have time for a snack in the lounge. If you don’t have your physical GE card (which lets you into the Nexus line for CATSA) and will have to stand in the regular security line, I would leave 1.5-2hrs.
my last 3 YVR experiences, the regular security line is no longer, possibly even shorter, than the single NEXUS line. Has to be the slowest NEXUS/Pre security line I've ever seen
MarkCron is online now  
Old Nov 9, 19, 7:26 pm
  #9  
mhy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: JL / OW Sapphire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 214
Thanks all. Ended up getting here about 2 hours before flight. Checkin took 2 minutes, security took 5 minutes and CBP took 5 minutes. There was clear signage for Global Entry, and the line was considerably shorter than the regular one. Luckily I did have my physical GE card, And I showed it to the person before entering the fast track security line.

Plaza Premium lounge is jammed unfortunately so I grabbed a coke and decided to wait in the gate area.
mhy is online now  
Old Nov 9, 19, 8:08 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 443
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
my last 3 YVR experiences, the regular security line is no longer, possibly even shorter, than the single NEXUS line. Has to be the slowest NEXUS/Pre security line I've ever seen
No kidding. The nexus security line at yvr is the slowest Iíve seen anywhere. It takes them a solid 15 minutes to move 15 people. Itís not a long line it just moves at glacial speed.
sfgiants13 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread