Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How early to get to YVR (F to Seattle, unable to check in on app)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:43 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JGC

Hello,

I am flying Delta in F on a 6:48pm departure from YVR to SEA.

The Delta app won’t let me check in because I am not a US citizen (I am a permanent resident) and there is no way to put in my Green Card information.

I guess that means I need to go to the checkin counter and have my documents checked to get my boarding pass.

How early should I get to YVR? Delta App says 3 hours before departure but that seems excessive.

I have Global Entry and have only hand luggage.

Thank you!
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mhy
Hello,

I am flying Delta in F on a 6:48pm departure from YVR to SEA.

The Delta app won’t let me check in because I am not a US citizen (I am a permanent resident) and there is no way to put in my Green Card information.

I guess that means I need to go to the checkin counter and have my documents checked to get my boarding pass.

How early should I get to YVR? Delta App says 3 hours before departure but that seems excessive.

I have Global Entry and have only hand luggage.

Thank you!
An hour and half is fine. Checkin cutoff I believe is 60 minutes as this is international flight. For first flight of morning checkin normally isnt even open (nor is preclearance) 3 hours before flight.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:22 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
An hour and half is fine. Checkin cutoff I believe is 60 minutes as this is international flight. For first flight of morning checkin normally isnt even open (nor is preclearance) 3 hours before flight.
Thanks! I’ll target arriving at YVR at 5pm just to be safe.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I walked into the terminal at 1155a for a 2:05p flight YVR-MSP and had plenty of time. With Global Entry, CBP took maybe four minutes. Security was a little longer than usual because I didn't have my physical Global Entry card with me.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've seen some very long lines at YVR for transborder flights.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
OP, do you have your physical GE card with you? If so, I routinely stroll in around T-40 and easily have time for a snack in the lounge. If you don’t have your physical GE card (which lets you into the Nexus line for CATSA) and will have to stand in the regular security line, I would leave 1.5-2hrs.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Finkface
OP, do you have your physical GE card with you? If so, I routinely stroll in around T-40 and easily have time for a snack in the lounge. If you don’t have your physical GE card (which lets you into the Nexus line for CATSA) and will have to stand in the regular security line, I would leave 1.5-2hrs.
OP needs to check in at the airport and check in closes one hour before (most) international DL flights, so doing T-40 would definitely be a very bad idea. I'd suggest two hours just in case there's a problem, although an hour and a half should be sufficient since as a FC passenger, OP will have access to the SkyPriority line.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by Finkface
my last 3 YVR experiences, the regular security line is no longer, possibly even shorter, than the single NEXUS line. Has to be the slowest NEXUS/Pre security line I've ever seen
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:26 pm
mhy
Original Poster

Thanks all. Ended up getting here about 2 hours before flight. Checkin took 2 minutes, security took 5 minutes and CBP took 5 minutes. There was clear signage for Global Entry, and the line was considerably shorter than the regular one. Luckily I did have my physical GE card, And I showed it to the person before entering the fast track security line.

Plaza Premium lounge is jammed unfortunately so I grabbed a coke and decided to wait in the gate area.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkCron
my last 3 YVR experiences, the regular security line is no longer, possibly even shorter, than the single NEXUS line. Has to be the slowest NEXUS/Pre security line I've ever seen
No kidding. The nexus security line at yvr is the slowest I’ve seen anywhere. It takes them a solid 15 minutes to move 15 people. It’s not a long line it just moves at glacial speed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.